Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Malaysia
Hello,

Im currently an iPhone 2G user and i play lots of games on it, especially from Gameloft/EA Games/Firemint like Assassins Creed, Real Racing, Real Soccer 2010, Sims 3...and was wondering if these games could be ported to Maemo 5.
I just want to know if there are developers out there developing games that will take full advantage of that PowerSGX graphics adapter in the N900.

Thanks.

Last edited by fahdriyami; 2009-10-13 at 01:01. Reason: typos

Fahdriyami, I would give it about a year for third party developers to use the platform properly. The N900 is a new kind of device for Nokia, running a new version of Maemo, so it will take time for developers to get to know it.

No new software platform ever gets massive support on the day it launches, it always takes time for developers to build up support. The iPhone 2G didn't have any third party software when it launched, the third party stuff only came much later.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by fahdriyami View Post
Hello,

Im currently an iPhone 2G user and i play lots of games on it, especially from Gameloft/EA Games/Firemint like Assassins Creed, Real Racing, Real Soccer 2010, Sims 3...and was wondering if these games could be ported to Maemo 5.
I just want to know if there are developers out there developing games that will take full advantage of that PowerSGX graphics adapter in the N900.

Thanks.
Gameloft is not developing for the N900 at this point.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Gameloft is not developing for the N900 at this point.
They are too busy making a killing on the iPhone . But I think Nokia should make the SDK windows compatible. Or at least provide a VM in a box kind of package.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ayle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Second.

I have very serious doubts of the N900 as a successful modern gaming platform. It certainly has the hardware, but will need a lot more to gain the support of 3rd party developers.

Of course, with the upcoming emulators (and the fabled Playstation emulator), it will have a killer library of very fun titles, arguably beyond the quality of what the iPhone currently offers.

Additionally, with upcoming gaming-on-demand services like OnLive, the N900's library could be quite significant, despite litte native development.

Considering that there will be future Maemo devices, I'm hoping that Nokia considers this segment in the future -- perhaps with a more gaming centric device (dpad,buttons,multi-touch,etc). Launching a new platform/hardware is a HUGE undertaking, and it's going to take some time to improve and grow.

}:^)~

There are just few commercial games for Linux and I don't have any reason to believe that this situation will change just because there will be perhaps a single digit millions of n900 (which will be obsoleted some month after release by a new incompatible hardware) users.

Commercial game companies have to make money and in this world, they have to protect their products from piracy so that some companies even build "copyright-protecting-devices" called game consoles.

I also have no reason to believe that Nokia will succeed to attract 3rd party developers this time after failing twice with n-gage.

The Following User Says Thank You to Double Salamander For This Useful Post:
It would be a 'game changing move' if Nokia struck a deal with OnLive or some other on demand gaming service (with a controller attachment, of course). Not only would it open up the N900 gaming significantly, but many other Nokia handsets as well!

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It would be a 'game changing move' if Nokia struck a deal with OnLive or some other on demand gaming service (with a controller attachment, of course). Not only would it open up the N900 gaming significantly, but many other Nokia handsets as well!

LOL, i can imagine connecting the N900 to a large LCD TV and using it as a console. =D

The Following User Says Thank You to fahdriyami For This Useful Post:
LOL, i can imagine connecting the N900 to a large LCD TV and using it as a console. =D
Wait a few years and you might be able to run Crysis under Windows Emulator in Full HD with 100+ fps on Nokia N999 or whatever that device will be called.

The Following User Says Thank You to Double Salamander For This Useful Post:
With OnLive, a bluetooth controller, this should be possible. No HD out, but still one helluva cool feature!

Here's hoping there's a client!

Closed Thread