Posts: 6 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bangalore, India
Dear All,

There is a lot of talks about
"Nokia N900 to get Meego by the month end".

Does this mean the Maemo operating system will be changed and the phone would have Meego?? Will this be only available on new N900 phones.

There was an update that Nokia will soon release a big update for maemo and now all are talking about Meego. Could anyone help me out here and provide some information.

I bought my N900 in January. Will the older phones get Meego.. How would it be..

Thanks in Advance for you help.
Regards

The Following User Says Thank You to jobyzjohn For This Useful Post:
Hey Jobyzjohn ..... ,

As i ve read on official meego site .... they would provide meego images for download and flashing purpose so older n900 phones would probably be able to run them .. so dont worry about it ... but for the big maemo update its still unclear as when will it be available.. or does big update refers to meego ...lets wait and see what nokia is upto ...

I'll give you my understanding.....

Think of the new meeego update as having a firmware upgrade, you may have to flash and install the meego update.....

Also there wouldn't be any new firmware updates for maemo 5 at this point since meego would be taking over. Though it's quite possible that if a great deal of users still want to stick with the maemo 5 image/system they might actually release a final firmware update.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by jobyzjohn View Post
Dear All,

Does this mean the Maemo operating system will be changed and the phone would have Meego?? Will this be only available on new N900 phones.

There was an update that Nokia will soon release a big update for maemo and now all are talking about Meego. Could anyone help me out here and provide some information.

I bought my N900 in January. Will the older phones get Meego.. How would it be..

Thanks in Advance for you help.
Regards
It will be a "development" version of MeeGo.

It will not be suitable for end-users - please don't install it (unless you want to develop for it).

I imagine it will be a good few months before it is ready for every day use.

I think the next update is 1.2 and is due this month, possibly April?

MeeGo is open source - it has the potential to be available on older devices (hopefully).

Relax everything is OK - enjoy using the n900 with Maemo 5, it is still a great device.

There are new apps coming out all the time and loads to choose from.

Its all good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
What will be released is a very early version of MeeGo, which will probably be significantly less stable than current Maemo 5. So it might (okay, will) be possible to put it on the N900 but not recommended for regular users. Also from what Nokians on this forum have said, such an early release of MeeGo will not mean the end of Maemo 5 updates.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Would it be possible to dual-boot the development version and Maemo 5?

Thanks Everyone for the update on Meego.
Regarding the Apps .. Not many are released. I see many games and applications in the extra-devel. still not yet released for the end-user.

I love my N900 and wish to see lots of apps coming up soon. Waiting for them

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Would it be possible to dual-boot the development version and Maemo 5?
Try asking again when it is released, i.e. when we actually know something about it.

Sure floffe.. I am also eager to know more about Meego and waiting for the next update of Maemo from Nokia.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by jobyzjohn View Post
See http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F

There is plenty of useful answers in that page.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
confused, fud, really confused, solved