Active Topics

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Back again.....

Have worked a lot on getting Arch installed...used the blog page as a guide...

http://blog.jakgibb.com/2013/03/28/a...stall-on-n900/

Installed u-boot-flasher via apt-get....as the versions listed on first page of this thread are not available now...Pali said it's OK to use the version he recently released.....

I created a new u-boot menu entry as follows:

Code:
ITEM_NAME="Arch Linux ARM (eMMC)"
ITEM_KERNEL="/boot/uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p5"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 rootwait init=/bin/systemdomapfb.vram=0:3M,1:3M,2:3M quiet"
Then I did

Code:
# u-boot-update-bootmenu 

Adding entry for: 'Maemo 5 with attached kernel 2.6.28-omap1 (internal Nand)'

Configuration file: /etc/bootmenu/d/20-archlinux.item

Warning: Invalid file - missing kernel or script file - skipping...

Generating u-boot bootmenu script....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Code:
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 rootwait init=/bin/systemdomapfb.vram=0:3M,1:3M,2:3M quiet"
That's wrong in the blog post mentioned previously. Now, what did I just say about copy-paste installs etc?

The Following User Says Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
mmcblk0p5? isn't here a way of integrating arch in -home partition mmcblkop2? it should gain more speed , and a have 8 gb home

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
Code:
That's wrong in the blog post mentioned previously. Now, what did I just say about copy-paste installs etc?

Thanks for the reference to that line.....

I'm not copy-pasting btw, I'm trying to understand each step as I go along and I type in everything myself, which is why I make a mistake sometimes, ie, a typo....

So, changed line to:

Code:
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 rootwait init=/bin/systemd omapfb.vram=0:3M,1:3M,2:3M quiet"
But still get same u-boot-update-bootmenu error message.....

Any suggestion?

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

ok, I've managed to go a little bit further and am now getting a different error altogeher

VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(179,9)
I've fsck'ed the file system(everything seems fine) and searched for a solution in similar threads, but to no avail. Formatting the card as ext4 didn't help either.

The Following User Says Thank You to evujumenuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Hi Guys, I followed the Guide here:
http://blog.jakgibb.com/2013/03/28/a...stall-on-n900/

I formatted my sdcard to EXT4. Then when i untar(ed) the tar.gz file and the files were decompressed on my emmc so I copied them under ubuntu to the sdCard. I followed all the steps and when booting under uboot, i get this

Is there something wrong and who can help me solve it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Boemien; 2013-04-28 at 20:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by evujumenuk View Post
What further infos do you need?
My device is in r&d mode and the watchdogs are disabled.
For starters, how about sharing your u-boot menu item, and clearly stating on what partition on which device the rootfs resides?
There is no need for R&D mode or disabling watchdogs.

@ArchiMark
Error you get clearly states that kernel is not found, meaning it's not present in the location where you have set u-boot to look for it.

@Boemien
Kernel can't find init, like it says.

@ whoever
Again, this has been covered many times before now, in this thread and others. If u-boot is (configured, and otherwise) OK, kernel will boot, that has been proven already. If it boots but does not run, rootfs can't be found.

So, there is always the chance that there is some problem that has not been manifested before, and in such case you're very welcome to call me an ***hole and advertise this all as non-working sh*t, but if you guys cant make it work, it's most likely because the simple fact that you have not done your reading and/or don't understand what you are doing. I've already provided all information that is needed for installation, including the suggestion to read about it first, then understand what you're doing and finally performing the simple task of installation.

I don't actually enjoy going over and over the same, off-topic issue, endlessly while I'm on my very limited free time. Would you believe it?

Last edited by Skry; 2013-04-28 at 21:06.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
For starters, how about sharing your u-boot menu item, and clearly stating on what partition on which device the rootfs resides?
There you go:

cat /etc/bootmenu.d/50-arch.item

ITEM_NAME="Arch Linux"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p1"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext4"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 rootwait init=/bin/systemd omapfb.vram=0:3M,1:3M,2:3M quiet"
ITEM_KERNEL="/boot/uImage"
As the config says, the Arch rootfs is on the first partition of the microsd. Now that I've gotten past the init error, I'm getting the VFS one(which is the sign of a corrupted sd card, even though I've checked a few times already) and I might try to create another partition on the internal emmc, as a last resort.

There is no need for R&D mode or disabling watchdogs.
Actually, I've disabled the watchdogs for other reasons, but thought that it might interfere.

evujumenuk, root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 means first partition of emmc. Devices are swapped in Maemo. This is mentioned, for example, in the first post of this thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
evujumenuk, root=/dev/mmcblk1p1 means first partition of emmc. Devices are swapped in Maemo. This is mentioned, for example, in the first post of this thread.
Pardon me, didn't see that. Well anyway, with "root=/dev/mmcblk0p1" I get the dreaded "init not found" KP that I've mentioned in my first post. I had swapped the zero with a one and got the VFS error.