Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

I wish to advise that Nokia N900 charger usb connector hard-plastic has enough leverage to tear usb port off board if cable is tripped-over.

Why must our cables destroy devices? I would ask manufacturers to please start reducing the length of the lever-arm of the hard connectora. Thank you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manuel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I believe Texrat also had this problem. The USB plug is a very tight fit - treat it with care.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
Can someone post photos? Tnx

The Following User Says Thank You to kopte3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I wish to advise that Nokia N900 charger usb connector hard-plastic has enough leverage to tear usb port off board...
Now you tell me.

Waiting for RMA from vendor...after 2nd charge, USB receptacle came out along with the plug. Not only that but the metal surround for the port came apart at the seam (its only crimped closed, not welded). Aside from the weak soldering points and thin dab of "epoxy?", there is no part of the case, nor phone internals that help to keep USB port in place (wound up taking it apart to see if I could re-solder). There is a chipset/housing which sits above the port about 2mm...if/when I get the replacement, I may put a drop or two of silicon or rubber cement to brace the top of the metal surround, against the chipset/housing above it, just to give it some bracing.

I think it may be the spring loaded clips at the bottom of the power plug that made such a tight fit. I may start using the charger from my Motorola Q as it doesn't have the clips, but the power supply is rated about 350mA lower than the Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
I was wondering how long the usb port will hold up on the N900 as it seems rather delicate. With me connecting/disconnecting it several times a day I fear that it may break prematurely. Am I paranoid?

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
i have the same fear. I always seem to put it in a bit crooked too...can't seem to line up the plug right. I almost think they need maybe something more to guide the plug in straight. maybe more plastic around the plug so theres no chance of you tryimg to jam it in crooked.

The Following User Says Thank You to pagesix1536 For This Useful Post:
I saw another post saying that a USB port broke. Can't see it myself. Looks rather sturdy to me...

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Texrat mentioned that the female portion of the N900 usb port came out when the pulled the UBS cable out. So it appears to be possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sljonson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
I was wondering how long the usb port will hold up on the N900 as it seems rather delicate. With me connecting/disconnecting it several times a day I fear that it may break prematurely. Am I paranoid?
You aren't paranoid at all. Here are posts by two strong N900 supporters who have had that problem:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...274#post397274

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=35

Both those were early samples given to developers before the official release of the N900; but I haven't read anything indicating that Nokia has remedied the design flaw, either.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I'd suggest to use the port only for charging and doing file transfers over WiFi.
It may also be a good idea to push the clips on the charger plug a little bit so that the plug doesn't sit too tight.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty