Active Topics

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Aug 2017 @ Spain
Hello guys. New rookie doubt.

I need root access to run commands like this:

apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

I run su, sudo, sudo gainroot, etc. But I can't run the update commands. The password is wrong, I have tried 12345, 0000, rootme and my unlock code but nothing works.

I have read in the following link that installing OpenSSH can be solved:

https://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access

But I run apt-get install OpenSSH ... and it needs root permission too.

sudo passwd root doesn't work for me either.

When I run "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" (with and without "su") I get the following error:

E: Could not open lock file / var / lib / apt / list / lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Enable to lock the list directory
E: Could not open lock file / var / lib / dpkg / lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/ var / lib / dpkg /), are you root?

What I can do?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Search for package rootsh and install with HAM, standard application manager (after having set the repo mirrors correctly).

Then sudo gainroot is your friend.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Search for package rootsh and install with HAM, standard application manager (after having set the repo mirrors correctly).

Then sudo gainroot is your friend.
Amazing! It works perfectly!

I downloaded rootsh from here (maybe someone else will find it useful):

http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...free/r/rootsh/

Could I have installed it from the terminal as well? With what command? I tried apt-get install but it asked for root.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Could I have installed it from the terminal as well? With what command? I tried apt-get install but it asked for root.
Nope, hen and egg problem.

You need rootsh to get root access in terminal.
But how did you install? (my memory is fading and I am not sure if tapping this downloaded file in file manager launched HAM and let it install, like on N9/Jolla now).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,700 | Thanked: 4,751 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
I think if thou have not yet read the wikipage here in maemo forum thou could. Then instruction page "perfect setup for N900". But I am also curious have thou tried the Application manager and set up the working repositories? If not, do it. If need help for it, ask, and thee shall be given.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Kula, Serbia
Just install it through the HAM (Hildon Application Manager) or FAM (Faster Application Manager). Then, you can become "root" with sudo gainroot or just root typed in the terminal. In the future, you can install .deb files throught the terminal by navigating to the folder they are in with cd command and then install them with dpkg -i command. For instance: cd /home/user/MyDocs then you press the enter button..and then you type dpkg -i rootsh.deb Here, we are assuming that the .deb file is located in your MyDocs folder. Ofc, in order to use dpkg -i you have to have superuser privilages first.

Last edited by branja; 2020-10-08 at 09:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to branja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan

But how did you install? (my memory is fading and I am not sure if tapping this downloaded file in file manager launched HAM and let it install, like on N9/Jolla now).
As long as i remember i believe tapping on deb file will open HAM to install app.

Add all the repos incase it needs any dependencies to be installed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:

Yes, I was able to install rootsh just by clicking on the .DEB file. It was so easy.

Then I also tried to install backupmenu by clicking on the .DEB file, but it didn't let me. I installed it with apt-get install backupmenu (later I realized that this application is installed by default).

The Following User Says Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I think if thou have not yet read the wikipage here in maemo forum thou could. Then instruction page "perfect setup for N900". But I am also curious have thou tried the Application manager and set up the working repositories? If not, do it. If need help for it, ask, and thee shall be given.
I'm following this guide (it's great!):

https://dt.iki.fi/nokia-n900-resurrect

This mobile and TMO are wonderful, there is a lot of information and help. It had been a long time since I had so much fun with a cell phone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post: