Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The last time I checked, which admittedly was not very recently, gaming on Linux was not exactly a big thing.
Actually, things are starting to change... Here are some games that run on Linux via SteamOS (not that I have tried them myself, so I can't personally guarantee that they all work):

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Actually, things are starting to change... Here are some games that run on Linux via SteamOS (not that I have tried them myself, so I can't personally guarantee that they all work):

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/
True but that applies more to desktop (and living room) Linux gaming. Steam is for x86/x86-64 only so it won't run on the Pyra.

The Pyra is more for retro gaming rather than modern gaming. Expect it to run everything that can run on the Pandora plus more due to its superior specs. This includes emulation of classic consoles/arcades/computers, stuff like apkenv, game engine ports and RE'd reimplementations, and even no source ports!

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2015-10-24 at 14:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary
Lol?
N900 is a beauty!
But this... this is just looks... unacceptable. Designed without any sense of beauty..
In this device, everything that's can be wrong on a device's design, is wrong. Even its ergonomy... it's questionable at least.
Its color, size, curves, edges, ergonomy... like 90's handheld monochrome videogame, it's horrifies me.
Even with nerd standards.
I like the idea behind it, but its... wow... still shocked...
And yep, big. Way too big.
In this size-category, almost any noname UMPC is looking better, in its looks and its function.

If it's creators read this topic: please, hire someone with basic device-designing skills!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dy1ng For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by dy1ng View Post
But this... this is just looks... unacceptable. Designed without any sense of beauty..
Wow. Gotta disagree here. Modern cellphones have reached an utterly ridiculous pinnacle of minimalism; they're all just huge, thin strips of glass that look like they came right off a Star Trek: The Next Generation set. Maybe pretty to look at, but un-ergonomic as all hell.

I want a device that I can hold in my hand. I want buttons that I can push. I want a screen that I can use without constantly having to put my own fingers in the way. The Pyra is definitely a step back towards sanity...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wow. Gotta disagree here. Modern cellphones have reached an utterly ridiculous pinnacle of minimalism; they're all just huge, thin strips of glass that look like they came right off a Star Trek: The Next Generation set. Maybe pretty to look at, but un-ergonomic as all hell.

I want a device that I can hold in my hand. I want buttons that I can push. I want a screen that I can use without constantly having to put my own fingers in the way. The Pyra is definitely a step back towards sanity...
We're going to disagree here. I'm past the multitude of buttons and switches and what not. Too many points of failure for a pocketable device.

Pyra looks like a weird cross of the N900, a Casio calculator watch and a ColecoVision controller with a pinch of Darth Vader's chest.

Not a fan.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Pyra looks like a weird cross of the N900, a Casio calculator watch and a ColecoVision controller with a pinch of Darth Vader's chest.

Not a fan.
I cannot reconcile your two statements . . .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I cannot reconcile your two statements . . .
Our tastes merely diverge. I'm quite sure it's happened in the past; you'll live.

Besides I've lived in the 70's and 80's where everything had to have a suite of knobs and flip switches. I don't want that any longer. Pyra just doesn't do anything for me. It's a mélange of design do's and don'ts that just looks horrid and like an awfully dated piece of geekery.

For the record, I'm still mad that my vintage Entex Defender game knob just free spins to this day...

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Our tastes merely diverge. I'm quite sure it's happened in the past; you'll live.

Besides I've lived in the 70's and 80's where everything had to have a suite of knobs and flip switches. I don't want that any longer. Pyra just doesn't do anything for me. It's a mélange of design do's and don'ts that just looks horrid and like an awfully dated piece of geekery.

For the record, I'm still mad that my vintage Entex Defender game knob just free spins to this day...
It was a joke, of course. Because what could be more cool than a combination of those things: calculator watch, Vader, ColecoVision, and N900? My lust for that ColecoVision was never requited. But I did finally get that Casio watch with my lawn-mowing money!

(And after dealing with a touchscreen in my wife's car, I'm not so sure that actual switches are all that bad an idea -- at least until we can make a genuinely tactile touchscreen.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
It was a joke, of course.
I knew it was a joke; I was responding in kind.

Because what could be more cool than a combination of those things: calculator watch, Vader, ColecoVision, and N900? My lust for that ColecoVision was never requited. But I did finally get that Casio watch with my lawn-mowing money!
LOL - I had all four items: N900 (hated it due to poor GPS lock in Pittsburgh), Casio watch (loved mine in 6th grade), ColecoVision (I need to remake Omega Race) and of course, the best villain for a kid to idolize... Darth Vader.

Hell.. you'd think that all of those things combined would be cool, come to think of it.

(And after dealing with a touchscreen in my wife's car, I'm not so sure that actual switches are all that bad an idea -- at least until we can make a genuinely tactile touchscreen.)
I require voice commands in my car. But I'm scared it'll register each and every curse word I use during traffic... hmm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Hungary

I agree with every word, man.
Todays smartphones are just useless to me, I dont want a big screen that I can stroke all day..
I need a good qwerty. What I dont want on my device, is Android, iOS, or WP.
BB is nice, but Passport is overpriced for me..

Anyway... I need buttons, nice screen, Linux-based system too.
But not in this form of advanced ugliness, please.
This project can be done with so so much nicer looks.
This is exactly why most people think that opensource devices are ugly.. and immature for commercial success.. because mostly they are. Its designers aim is to create something different... I think that doesn't mean it's have to be scary.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dy1ng For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo n900, pyra handheld