Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
By now, I don't think anybody knows what you're saying. So sum it up in a very concise manner. Allow me to do my part in that by summing up what I'm saying... Nokia has wasted a lot of time, lost a lot of traction to come out with an incomplete product that feels more like tinker toy with pieces here and there not yet in place - Qt 4.6 not integrated yet, no concrete statement about Maemo 6 on the current device, no comments to steer fear away from the fact that three devices are never going to get any support outside of the community derived support which is stalled at this very moment with no announcements from community SSU nor Mer at this very moment or in months.

And no content partnerships, no announcements from partners that have content that other people have requested. Maemo 5 is living in a vacuum where only Nokia and this community is touching it. Argue all you want, there is no evidence that states otherwise at this very moment.

Already done. Nokia is offering me, and sadly enough a ton of other folks absolutely nothing. And silly remarks from community members like this all over this site make the average user seem unwelcome. How many times a day do you read "Go buy an <insert competitors product here>" per day because somebody is requesting something that would actually improve the Maemo platform? It's getting out of hand. It's the geek version of "well... well... if you don't like it, then go home!" - you people do not make the entirety of the community nor ownership of Nokia's products.

And if you did, the platform is dead.

Sadly, Nokia is only pleasing a select few in a rather myopic market. Time for the pieces to come together. And yeah, next person to say "well bail" - you're saying that to just more than one person when that flies out of your mouth in such a visible community.
I suggest you study more about maemo history. Man you have strongly tinted goggles....

hint: it is easy to say now what is needed at mobile markets to succeed. why didn't you say the same words in 2004 before 770?

it really is easy to be the wise guy afterwards..

dont want to continue offtopic anymore, I just cant believe your arguments... lets just say that thank god I don't have the goggles you do.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/c...me-the-display

"...But the choice of LCD technology means that, in spite of the library of e-books that will be available for the iPad, this device no e-book reader. While I’m not an e-book convert myself, the folks I know who carry Kindles with them read them outdoors as much as in, often in sunlight; that just won’t be possible with this LCD display. And, even indoors, they swear that the reading experience—in particular, the eyestrain—is much different than that on an LCD display..."

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I suggest you study more about maemo history. Man you have strongly tinted goggles....
What do I need to study exactly? Stop being vague, say it in English. Or even German. Ich kann auch Deutsche verstehen.

hint: it is easy to say now what is needed at mobile markets to succeed. why didn't you say the same words in 2004 before 770?
I was vocal about the 770 in 2006. Guess I was late. Don't want to make the mistake again with the N900. Too bad nobody is listening, everybody has a lot to say, but isn't saying much.

Talk less, say more.

it really is easy to be the wise guy afterwards..
And it's easy to be the wise guy during, and say absolutely nothing. I'm unable to see your point because you've ceased having one. I tend to talk in rather specific terms, I'd expect it back.

dont want to continue offtopic anymore, I just cant believe your arguments... lets just say that thank god I don't have the goggles you do.
The "goggles" you speak about are people that have far longer exposure to Maemo than your signup date signifies - that's all I got to go by here in this forum. Simply put, what's so damn wrong with wanting more from very capable hardware and software?

Find fault in that, I dare you.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
iPad my *****. It's an overpriced box with the same OS which makes the iPhone an unusable slave system unless you jailbreak it. And that's just the software issue, now think about all the things it lacks in terms of hardware. Apple has hit the iceberg...hopefully they sink.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
lets just say that if one lacks the perspective that other has, there is nothing to do in internets.

please try to make your mind do you want to be the wise guy or not.

and I think I found the shade of goggles. I think it is called "me me me me me!" because your perspective is self-centric. Mine is mobile market centric. your time point is right now, mine lies in the future.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

I suspect that no multitasking is because of battery life again and no flash, meybe it's thinking about their market, the websites that they want you to browse they can be opened in iphone and ipad. they earn lots of money from their online shops, and more apps, music and now books the more people buy their products. In time they will have to be more open but now they don't need to. I don't know what Nokia is doing with their future. I have n900 from 8 december and it's great device and i love it, but no f..ing apps, where is proper navigation ? working excel ? it's good to have fun with device but afterwards it must help you to do your job. So Nokia start doing something otherwise when iPhone 4g come... I don't even want to thinh about it

Frickin' *finally*. Now we're (hopefully) going back on track to where we were headed before Microsoft's "Tablet PC" crusade. Large-ish screen, low-power chips, perhaps ARM based. I'm disappointed on the res (1024x768? Really?) but otherwise not at all a shock.

The only question I have is when I can get something like this with Maemo! I/we've been talking about this for a while now!

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Hmmm...I love it! Not the iPad, the shakeup. So...I have to ask again, I've asked before; before the n900 was released, why can't we have a wifi only, in addition to the 3G versions. I'm reiterating only because I'm waiting for the Maemo 6 device slated for later this year.

Anyways, for the near term, prices...$569 for a n900 (from Nokia, which I know, I know, doesn't represent other prices you can find it at) vs $729 for an ipad( to match the built in 32GB and 3G radio built in). The sticker shock from unsubsidized high end handsets has often been touted as the reason that Nokia doesn't do as well in the USA as elsewhere, so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

And, yes, it's not a handset, it's a tablet, but if you look around at the offerings out of CES, Notion Ink Adam for example, which has very, very similar specs (A9 based Tegra 2, same size, same weight, 3G, etc, look at the write up on slashgear) they're targeting $300ish for a device that is as, if not more capable than what Apple is offering

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/c...me-the-display

"...But the choice of LCD technology means that, in spite of the library of e-books that will be available for the iPad, this device no e-book reader. While I’m not an e-book convert myself, the folks I know who carry Kindles with them read them outdoors as much as in, often in sunlight; that just won’t be possible with this LCD display. And, even indoors, they swear that the reading experience—in particular, the eyestrain—is much different than that on an LCD display..."
The trouble is, the device doesn't have to completely master every display scenario. OK, so it doesn't display well in sunlight and doesn't read as easy as e-ink.

My answer is... so what? One of my original complaints with the Visor vs the Palm 3 was: The display was impossible to read in sunlight. Sure, color was great, but the versatility to look at my PDA in the sun or bright light situations would surely outweigh or temper the drive to the Visor display, which appeared to be inferior on both the power usage and versatility fronts.

We all saw how those "inferior" arrangements turned out in the PDA world.

So the follow-up question should be, "Is the device's display good enough to attract and capture a sizable audience of e-book/e-zine/e-news readers due to the addition of color, motion, and high glossy?"

I think the answer is "Yes."

The proprietary e-book readers have just been attacked and relegated to a small niche if Apple can get the content channels really going.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by pel View Post

The proprietary e-book readers have just been attacked and relegated to a small niche if Apple can get the content channels really going.
Niche yes, small... I'm not so sure. Because of the screen tech (Eink, SiPix), the battery capacity and weight can be substantially reduced on the ereaders. They weight a little less than half as much as the iPad, and that can make a pretty big difference in terms of holding it comfortably while reading. That's not taking into account the eye strain issue which seem to affect some readers (of which I am not one, I like reading on my n800). Remains to be seen how big the niche will be, but it'll be interesting.

Tags
apple, ifarted, ipad, tablet