"N900 is a natural tool for Nokia to drive MeeGo support for our designs and for the ARM CPU architecture in general. We want to have baseline HW that is powerful, easily available for anyone and form-factor stuff so that one HW works for most platform and application development needs.

That said, please do not take this yet as a commitment to fully productise MeeGo on N900. ..."

Comment from Valhalla
http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Meego build for n900 and netbooks by the end of March.

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

Last edited by iamNarada; 2010-03-04 at 14:40. Reason: Direct link

Originally Posted by lma View Post

As an example, there is work underway for Moblin support in modest and tinymail, so it will almost certainly run on MeeGo.
hmmm if there is one thing that doesnt have to come to MeeGo because it is seriously lacking many features for me then it is Modest...
Hopefully that it will also improve in features then. I hoped that Moblin already had some nice email client that does support imap fully.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
MeeGo will come with a reference UX and reference OSS apps. If someone is expecting official Nokia apps then this is another story. The story of 'Harmattan running in the N900'. We have dicussed this. Nothing new on that front.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
so is this wut we gonna c soon at our n900 ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-q-x...eature=channel

The Following User Says Thank You to mike_shenoda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by mike_shenoda View Post
so is this wut we gonna c soon at our n900 ?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-q-x...eature=channel
I don't think it will look like that. That's the "Netbook UX", not the "Phone UX", I think.

Will this meego that will compile on N900 be able to make a phone call on N900?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
6 months into the future prediction, a ton of threads along the lines of: -

"OMG!! I've installed Meego on my N900 and there are no usable apps on it!!!!!!! WTF is Nokia doing!!!!!"

<sigh>
Yes this will happen. Why? Because much of the FUD revolves around end-users concerns about long term support and what this means for that.

IMHO, unfortunately, there are many people here saying don't worry, look here, see the N900 will be supported!!! The future is bright!!! Now be quiet, and stop worrying and quit posting about it.

The problem is the definition of support. To the concerned end-user "supported" means a fully functional (daily use) OS, with with all the "expected" (based on other phones, etc) bells and whistles.

To the people saying don't worry, "supported" means that they won't have to hack their own kernel, etc to install it. They expect a very basic OS that will have bugs and require a lot of hacking to be usable on a day to day basis (with a 2nd phone as a backup). And that it will get better, as more releases are made.

To the end user, that is more frightening than not knowing. In fact there is no guarantee that Meego will ever be ready for "daily" use on the N900. Certainly, many end-users would be unwilling to install Meego if it meant voiding their warranty.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
To the people saying don't worry, "supported" means that they won't have to hack their own kernel, etc to install it. They expect a very basic OS that will have bugs and require a lot of hacking to be usable on a day to day basis (with a 2nd phone as a backup). And that it will get better, as more releases are made.

To the end user, that is more frightening than not knowing. In fact there is no guarantee that Meego will ever be ready for "daily" use on the N900. Certainly, many end-users would be unwilling to install Meego if it meant voiding their warranty.
I don't think it's as grim as that, but I don't think you're that far off either. This is in line with that slight dodgy answer from one of the Nokia higher-ups when asked about MeeGo and the n900, it went something like:

"Developer's should be happy."

It's true, I am.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
At the moment end-users should not be installing MeeGo on the n900.

Maemo 5 is the currently supported platform. It's fully functioning (depending on your point-of-view).

The 1.2 update will include QT which aligns Maemo 5 closer to MeeGo.

MeeGo on the n900 will take many months before it can be fully functioning.
During that time it is in "development" - nobody should be installing it until it is ready for daily use.

If an end-user installs the "development" version and expecting full functionality then that user has been mis-informed.

Maemo 5 is the current OS of the n900.
Developers are still writing software for it. The repos are growing on daily basis.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post: