Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
At least for me the following behaviour is reproducable:
- open some Qt application which has at least one QComboBox or some menus on top bar to tap to
- run "killall hildon-desktop" or "dsmetool -k /usr/bin/hildon-desktop; dsmetool -t -U user /usr/bin/hildon-desktop"

Now try to get away without rebooting the device... only option is to killall the qt app(s) that were running in the background via SSH connection.

Is this a bug in Qt or is there another more "gentle" way to restart hildon-desktop than ones above?

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Why do you want to restart the desktop process?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
Why do you want to restart the desktop process?
To refresh the icons in Hildon launcher menu?
For me it's usual behavior.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
To refresh the icons in Hildon launcher menu?
For me it's usual behavior.
Actually to refresh about everything (this is actually Theme Customizer related question) without having to reboot the device. Built-in theme choosen app (personalisation_app) seems to do this without actually restartin the hildon-desktop. If I only knew what that closed source app is doing when applying new theme I would be very happy.

The Following User Says Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by d-iivil View Post
Actually to refresh about everything (this is actually Theme Customizer related question) without having to reboot the device. Built-in theme choosen app (personalisation_app) seems to do this without actually restartin the hildon-desktop. If I only knew what that closed source app is doing when applying new theme I would be very happy.
So, in reality, you want to mimic, or replicate, the behaviour of another application?

Since dbus is used for many things, I'd suggest that you listen in on it while the other application "does its magic" to see what's happening. If you're lucky, it's a simple command that is sent that you then can implement in your own application.

If some other communication is used, you'll have to get more creative and that's perhaps too big a scope.

quickshot: killall -g ?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Personalization_app doesn't ideally switch between themes, after it you can see some relics of old theme.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Personalization_app doesn't ideally switch between themes, after it you can see some relics of old theme.
Yeah, I know that. I'd only like to see how it reloads the icons on the application launcher menu. Rest is pretty trivial to do.

And I still think it's a Qt bug. Gtk+ apps can handle the shutdown + startup of hildon-desktop without issues.

Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
So, in reality, you want to mimic, or replicate, the behaviour of another application?

Since dbus is used for many things, I'd suggest that you listen in on it while the other application "does its magic" to see what's happening. If you're lucky, it's a simple command that is sent that you then can implement in your own application.

If some other communication is used, you'll have to get more creative and that's perhaps too big a scope.
I don't want to replicate the behaviour, but it would indeed be nice to know how the personalisation_app is doing the things.

I already tried scanning the DBus and there's no (extra) activity there.

What does the hildon-desktop theme option do?

hildon-desktop -theme theme : Load the specified theme