Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by frank.wagner View Post
And what has happened up to now - Developers - in search of perfection - everything at once - instead - to set priorities - and one after the other (see Google beta versions)
William Shatner?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I used to think the same way you do, Frank, until I realized what a big general bust 2009 is gonna be. Quick to market? WHAT market?

I think Nokia could goof off this year and still be okay... anyone releasing major new stuff this year may see that backfire.

That said, Nokia sure is quiet at CES 2009...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Let's remember that Maemo 5 is a big step forward in the development of Maemo software. We skipped the "E" release by jumping from "D"iablo to "F"remantle. The pre-alpha SDK shows that we are working on many fronts to built a high-end mobile computer with Maemo 5.

So is THIS going to be step 5 of 5?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think Nokia could goof off this year and still be okay... anyone releasing major new stuff this year may see that backfire.
I'm not with you about 2009, but that's not even the main issue. What's really frustrating is that we didn't even have something really new in 2008. The last innovation hardware-wise was the N800. Since then, we have the same platform. I love my N800, but it gets harder and harder not to turn my back on Nokia if they don't offer anything more up-to-date.

Trying to make this lack of progress look like some clever strategy ("2009", "skipped 'E'",…) isn't very credible. Mid-2008 would have been the time to release something new.

It would be so easy for Nokia - Roadmap sample - looks Asus

real customer-friendly

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'm not with you about 2009, but that's not even the main issue. What's really frustrating is that we didn't even have something really new in 2008. The last innovation hardware-wise was the N800. Since then, we have the same platform. I love my N800, but it gets harder and harder not to turn my back on Nokia if they don't offer anything more up-to-date.
I just don't see anything to turn to right now for under $500 or so -- as long as nobody else catches up, Nokia doesn't really have to stay ahead. Now Android is gaining momentum, to be sure, and that will help the 800x480 Android devices whenever they arrive, but there's nothing right now, and no sign they'll be here before the RX-51 is announced.

And the Pandora is a sad tale of delays.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by frank.wagner View Post
in the competition only speed and innovation is the right answer
For sure. And maybe HTC has something planned that will eat Nokia for breakfast. But, for now, the Nokia tablets own the niche for a while longer.

I have a hunch that Nokia lost a huge amount of time with their TrollTech purchase and Symbian purchase last year, and the moves towards open sourcing these products. Open source is a good way to move forwards, but maybe Nokia is too big a company to efficiently "turn on a dime".

Maybe that's also why the IP08 (thought by some to be their 2008 iPhone killer) turned out to be the N97 which is "coming some time in first half of 2009".

Roger.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I just don't see anything to turn to right now for under $500 or so
Depends on what you use your tablet for, what it is for you. I'm one of those who use the N800 as a small laptop. So the more I think of it, the more I consider GNU/Linux-friendly netbooks an alternative. They'd even have the great advantage of running the very distribution I use on my desktop.

Android is absolutely no alternative at all for me. I don't like its licensing, I don't like it from a technical POV and I'd never trust anything that Google was involved with. But that's my own private psychosis. Others may be more relaxed and find in Android what Nokia failed to deliver 2008.

So I do believe there's alternatives right now. It needn't be a device that's exactly like the N8x0.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
So is THIS going to be step 5 of 5?
As explained several times elsewhere, no, this is step 4.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
As explained several times elsewhere, no, this is step 4.
Peter's post does talk about choosing to accelerate Maemo's evolution by skipping Elephanta. It's not unreasonable to try and pin him down as to what this means in terms of the original "5 step" plan ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
blurry photos, fud, funny farm, haiku, hibernation, not the droids, picnic baskets, straightjacket, trollosaurus rex, what competition?