Drink!
Cheers!

BACK (in a horror / gothic font):

I am the
DEALBREAKER
Make that "Am I the DEALBREAKER?"

The Following User Says Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Yes, having MMS on a feature phone is important, but the N900 isn't a feature phone with limited resources. . We prioritized our resources to have brilliant multitasking of the frequent use cases. You can share photos easily to the Internet or by email. Implementing MMS would have meant dragging the ancient WAP 1.2.1 standard used for the push notificatiom to a modern computer OS in times when our target audience wants to share high quality images to Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, Ovi and so on. MMS receipt would maybe gotten us far enough, so others can send her photo to you, but we decided to put our R&D into other areas. I hope consumers will forgive us for the time being.
Shall I be able to send and receive pictures/photo's via bluetooth if not by mms

Michelle

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lerage View Post
Shall I be able to send and receive pictures/photo's via bluetooth if not by mms
Bluetooth or email or even directly to Flickr/Ovi/Facebook/whatever right from the camera or gallery applications.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Portsmouth, England
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Maemo 5 and the N900 look brilliant. But: don't forget the past and present! There are still many many many mobile phone users who are NOT into "online web 2.0", but who are simply very happy if you send them an MMS, because it is a very simply use case, has reasonable pricing and they will not need any kind of special data plan. In fact, for anybody I know without an iPhone, MMS is the one and only way to share a picture from his/her mobile phone. This includes coworkers, friends, parents and wife.

The N900 MUST include MMS. Especially when Nokia shoots at the iPhone in their marketing materials (like copy/paste, no jailbreaking needed, battery changeable). This would be just too inconsistent.

Thank you Peter@Maemo Marketing for the most informative answer I have seen re MMS. However I agree with Twaelti. MMS is absolutely a must to be incorporated even if many do not use the function. After all the stick Apple got with the iPhone did Nokia learn nothing??? For anyone else who is trying to find this answer before parting with their cash, I have it confirmed, in writing direct from high up within Nokia UK that MMS will not ever be included...nor voice dialling.

You make your own choices but for me I am afraid that this is a must and a major shortfall. Motorola Milestone/droid or an iPhone for me while I love the new sharing technologies MMS still has a place for a while yet!!!

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Portsmouth, England
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Yes, having MMS on a feature phone is important, but the N900 isn't a feature phone with limited resources. . We prioritized our resources to have brilliant multitasking of the frequent use cases. You can share photos easily to the Internet or by email. Implementing MMS would have meant dragging the ancient WAP 1.2.1 standard used for the push notificatiom to a modern computer OS in times when our target audience wants to share high quality images to Flickr, Facebook, Picasa, Ovi and so on. MMS receipt would maybe gotten us far enough, so others can send her photo to you, but we decided to put our R&D into other areas. I hope consumers will forgive us for the time being.
Peter.. Thanks for the most informative response to this issue I have seen. However.. MMS has to be part of this device. It absoutely has to and will lose many many consumers by not being there. I know a lot don't use it but a lot do also and are not all on data plans or using websharing..which is not instant like MMS/SMS. Big mistake! I was going for N900 and have been Nokia Fan for years but now....well IPhone (reluctantly) or Motorola Droid/Milestone... Sorry Nokia.

Originally Posted by simonpdavies View Post
Peter.. Thanks for the most informative response to this issue I have seen. However.. MMS has to be part of this device. It absoutely has to and will lose many many consumers by not being there. I know a lot don't use it but a lot do also and are not all on data plans or using websharing..which is not instant like MMS/SMS. Big mistake! I was going for N900 and have been Nokia Fan for years but now....well IPhone (reluctantly) or Motorola Droid/Milestone... Sorry Nokia.
I don't think N900 will loose *MANY* consumers by not having MMS support. I don't see iPhone having lost many consumers because of not having MMS until now. Also, I think, Android doesn't support MMS but few people really seem to care. As I see it, not having MMS isn't a technical question, but a software question and as such I would like to have it, if not now, sometime on the future. All in all, I don't think this is a deal breaker, but I understand is a desirable feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ignacius For This Useful Post:
It took Apple 2 years to support MMS, and in The States, it took AT&T about another 4 after that. Think about the message it would send if shortly after the n900 release, the community implements MMS. We can build and flash our own kernel (I hope). Maybe it's an OSS blessing in disguise. This kind of thing could attract developers and consumers. And if I've been reading the MMS threads correctly, I think it already has.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
It took Apple 2 years to support MMS, and in The States, it took AT&T about another 4 after that. Think about the message it would send if shortly after the n900 release, the community implements MMS. We can build and flash our own kernel (I hope). Maybe it's an OSS blessing in disguise. This kind of thing could attract developers and consumers. And if I've been reading the MMS threads correctly, I think it already has.
I don't even care much about MMS myself, but I think this is a great perspective. I agree that this could be a great and exciting opportunity to showcase OSS. Thanks for posting this idea. I agree with you 100%.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I'm exactly the opposite.

MMS might be useful sometimes, when dealing with the ignorant and/or people whose devices are from the stone age (but, even then, I prefer to tell people "I can't MMS, send it to my email address") ... but, even just looking at what MMS does, it's a stupid-person's implementation of email (the stupid-person being the one who designed it, not you for using it). Recipients, including email addresses? check. Subject line? check. Message body + media attachments? check. MMS == email designed by idiots.

Further, for any sort of attachment or media file, I want to have it stored somewhere more permanent, useful, and scalable than my handheld (with the option to download/cache it on my handheld).

All of that says to me "email it to me, don't MMS it to me".

MMS isn't just blemish on the evolution of data protocols, it's redundant to email, and email serves that function better. Any device which simply avoids implementing MMS and says "use email instead" is a device that deserves my kudos.
very ignorant comment. the argument is really about convenience. this is the kind of better then you thinking that pushes average users away.

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I don't even care much about MMS myself, but I think this is a great perspective. I agree that this could be a great and exciting opportunity to showcase OSS. Thanks for posting this idea. I agree with you 100%.
I too care very little about MMS, but that's always been the beauty of Maemo. The diversity of tablet usage patterns quite frankly blows my mind, and I could go on about this, but I won't.

Anyway, let's say a decent implementation of MMS happens relatively soon, imagine someone records a video and wants to send it to one of their contacts. With possible further community development, the delivery mechanism of that video could be based on that contact's address profile(s). And furthermore, if MMS is one of the delivery protocols for that contact, the same community software could automatically send multiple MMS messages based on the video's length. And so on, and so on...

[click]
video recording starts
[click]
video recording ends
[click]
user chooses "group(s)" and/or "contact(s)" to send to
[click]
video sent to youtube, to email, to MMS, and/or to ???. Profit.

The above won't happen out-of-the-box, and the above won't happen by one app. But it could happen in a timely fashion with a community effort.

Tags
fremantle, maemo, n900