Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Just like they've always been. Android sphere now, Symbian sphere before, what's the difference?
Back in the days Nokia phones tended to be different. They weren't just boring candy bars or slabs of glass. Nokia also tried out new/different things. Nokia set itself apart with new ideas and concepts, unlike today's manufacturers who try to sell new phones almost solely trough its specs or lack of updates for their older devices.
Devices such as the Nokia Communicator, with its dual display, dual keyboard design, were nowhere to be found by its competitors. The Nokia E-Series, with its interesting keyboard mechanisms, such with the E60, was also unique in their design. (as far as I know)
Or the Nokia N86/N95/N96, with their dual-slider mechanism, are, as far as I know, also unique. Not to mention that the hidden multimedia-keys were useful as f***.
The Nokia N93(I), was a phone with its main focus on the camcorder function.
What about the Nokia-NGage? Sure it flopped, yet Nokia tries sth different than the rest of the market.

Then there was the N900, which was promoted as open device, meant for hacking and "doing what you want" with the device. There even was Nokias "Push"-event, inviting others to show Nokia what they could do with an "open" platform like the N900.
There hasn't been a manufacturer, yet, who did the same, with the same amounts of effort.

Even Nokias newer phones were different than the like of Samsung and such.
The Nokia N8 for example, although running an truly aged OS, was still a neat phone, with cool ideas, excellent built-quality, and spec-circle-jerk-free advertising, inviting people to make short movies with the N8's camera. (There might've also been a short movie produced by Nokia, promoting it's cameras macro capabilities. I remember it leaving me quite stunned, when I first saw it. I don't remember it's name, though

There were even more "weird" devices from Nokia, but I have no experience with them.

There was a Nokiaphone/Series for almost everyone!
Want a multimedia-focused/all round device? Pick sth out of the N-Series.
Want a messaging device? Pick sth out of the E-Series.
Do you want a phone only for SMS and calls? Pick any of the other Nokia phones, in your preferred size, form and color!

Nowadays, (android)phones usually are a boring sandwich of metal and glass, using the same chipset across almost all manufactures, with the rest of the phone differentiating in only nuances. Snapdragon Chipset, 4-6Gigs of ram, camera sensor from Sony, waterproof-aluminum-glass housing with all its pros and cons, a 5" to 5.5" IPS or SAMOLED screen, varying amount of bloat on the device and a almost guaranteed lack of updates as soon as the successor of the chosen device was announced.

To me, it feels like, you get the same phone only with a different housing and brand on it.

tl;dr: Smartphones are boring nowadays and Nokia phones were not.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That is a possibility. I would not count on it, but I cannot deny that it might even happen; it is possible that the upcoming devices are good. But sure I am not holding my breath.

IF that happens, and IF it is possible to port SFOS to a HMD high end device I sure will try to do that. Otherwice, they will be of no use to me.
Well, it's an official statement, that Nokia will kinda supervise HMD's production.

"Nokia Technologies will take a seat on the Board of Directors of HMD and set mandatory brand requirements and performance related provisions to ensure that all Nokia-branded products exemplify consumer expectations of Nokia devices, including quality, design and consumer focused innovation."

Source: http://company.nokia.com/en/news/pre...es-and-tablets

"Consumer focused innovation", sounds like sth the old Nokia would say.
Siemens S55 -> Nokia 6210 -> Sony Erricson K750i -> HTC Hermes 300/MDA Vario 2 -> Nokia N78 -> Samsung Galaxy S1 -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Nokia N9 (cyan/16gb) -> Jolla 1 -> iPhone 5S -> Xiaomi RedMi Note 2 Pro -> Nokia N900² -> iPhone SE, gave up all hope.

Last edited by N912; 2016-08-29 at 09:33.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to N912 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
For both companies? No, my friend. Much as I like Maemo and can tolerate MeeGo and Sailfish, let's get back to the ground and see it from the business perspective, shall we?

Projected number of sold units with Androud: ~5-10 million
Projected number of sold units with Sailfish: ~5-10 thousand (being generous here)

It seems like a no-brainer to me.
It doesn't hurt to support both systems. We have libhybris after all.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by N912 View Post
Back in the days Nokia phones tended to be different.
Yes, and they all ran Symbian.

You were complaining about "the same old Android sphere", not about "the same old rectangular slab sphere". So what is really your objection? That all phones run the same OS? Then you will have to apply that also to the age when they all ran Symbian. Or is it that all phones look the same? Then you must also include all those running Sailfish.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well, yeah, but in this case symbian != symbian...
Just about each and every device ran a different fork of the platform code, a horrible mess of configuration management...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

You were complaining about "the same old Android sphere", not about "the same old rectangular slab sphere". So what is really your objection? That all phones run the same OS? Then you will have to apply that also to the age when they all ran Symbian. Or is it that all phones look the same? Then you must also include all those running Sailfish.
No, i was complaining about the lack of variation, innovation and diversity, within said 'android-sphere'.
As i said, hardware and software wise they are all almost the same.
They all run on the same chipset, have the same RAM, same camerasensor, either a metal unibody or glass and metal sandwichbody, and, for the most part, have no software optimizations that truly sets them apart.

Phones these days, have no soul.

Sailfish?
Sailfish is definetly playing in its own league.
Altough Jolla was quite nokia-ish, with its entry into the smartphonemarket, asd they released a OS that was different than its competitors and released a smartphone with a few neat ideas (TOH).
Siemens S55 -> Nokia 6210 -> Sony Erricson K750i -> HTC Hermes 300/MDA Vario 2 -> Nokia N78 -> Samsung Galaxy S1 -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Nokia N9 (cyan/16gb) -> Jolla 1 -> iPhone 5S -> Xiaomi RedMi Note 2 Pro -> Nokia N900² -> iPhone SE, gave up all hope.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N912 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Foxkia View Post
Sailfish is dead.
Is it dead or just flopping on the deck...

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
People need to stop beating this dead horse.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by N912 View Post
No, i was complaining about the lack of variation, innovation and diversity, within said 'android-sphere'.
As i said, hardware and software wise they are all almost the same.
They all run on the same chipset, have the same RAM, same camerasensor, either a metal unibody or glass and metal sandwichbody, and, for the most part, have no software optimizations that truly sets them apart.

Phones these days, have no soul.
That's what some (layman) people from my family complain about - all the phones are just the same.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Originally Posted by eson View Post
There are lots of threads about SailfishOS shortcomings and if you are disappointed of Sailfish, it's only because you're expecting the wrong things. It is not, I repeat, NOT iOS or Android.
wow, me expecting the wrong things, ok then expecting an average battery backup is a wrong thing, dont get me even started. and yeah i have been using nokia n900 for the last 5 years, bought android last month and gave it to a friend because i was a maemo guy and i was awared of everything, even the fa*pening. just patches and patches is what sailfish community is living on, the worst experience is the stock sailfish. no android no ios. sorry i have been expecting the wrong things i think.

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
People need to stop beating this dead horse.

While I most sincerely hope for the success of Jolla,
after years of frustration and disappointment starting with the N950 debacle and a recent post about the availability of some N950 prototypes, I have to admit that when I read Foxia's post it made me laugh. The lyrics of sponge bobs theme song then came to mind

"If nautical nonsense is something you wish, then drop on the deck and flop like a fish!"

Tags
nokia, sailfish