Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
Originally Posted by shanttu View Post
On N9 plugging the USB-cable to the same PC network "just works" without further settings.
I have no idea which N9 you have, but mine does not support anything like that. I always have to use the wifi hotspot.

Otoh it is already clarified in this thread how to set up such a connection. Moreover it is a feature that will come with an update in the future.
My thoughts exactly... To get 3G connection via USB tethering in N9 requires that you load up the iptables modules and set up a few rules for forwarding. (I am not actually sure you can do it at all without the plus kernel...)

Maybe @shanttu has installled some tweak to enable it and forgotten about it later...

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
The question is, if XPrivacy running on Alien Dalvik would be aware of the other Android programs running on Alien Dalvik? They might as well be running in a separate "box".
Given the complaints that swipe-to-close on any Android app kills every Android app running, I'd guess that they all run in the same sandbox - that is, the environment simulates a standalone Android device and runs all the running applications in it the same way it would run in a real Dalvik VM not as separate instances...

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by att View Post
It is mounted all the time when it is in its place, so it is risky to remove it when the phone is powered on.

If the phone happens to be writing to the card (applications writing, updating metadata, updating access times) when removing it, there is a real risk of corrupting the file system or the flash itself.

So I wouldn't do it live, but if you want to live on the edge
Can Jolla set write command of the card on hold, when you remove the 2nd half?

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I read on IRC that email address != user name, which may be a problem. My personal SMTP uses different values there, and Jolla's UI doesn't allow you to enter different values.
Yes, I also think my problems relate to this.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
I have no idea which N9 you have, but mine does not support anything like that. I always have to use the wifi hotspot.

Otoh it is already clarified in this thread how to set up such a connection. Moreover it is a feature that will come with an update in the future.
Off topic/ Even if I lurk here daily it's impossible to find that information on this thread even using search function. I'm glad that I haven't had to use wifi hotspot. It drains battery fast. I hope Jolla will implement sharing network as well as N9. /off topic

Jolla uses battery way too much to use it as a daily device. I hope battery usage and Google-calendar sync are high on Jolla's priority list.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
My thoughts exactly... To get 3G connection via USB tethering in N9 requires that you load up the iptables modules and set up a few rules for forwarding. (I am not actually sure you can do it at all without the plus kernel...)
I just dial a PPP connection and off I go... I think even the default gw gets set up automatically, using Linux Gentoo, so it isn't like I have any daemon doing anything strange for me.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
Given the complaints that swipe-to-close on any Android app kills every Android app running, I'd guess that they all run in the same sandbox - that is, the environment simulates a standalone Android device and runs all the running applications in it the same way it would run in a real Dalvik VM not as separate instances...
I thought so too, but to make sure I'd install a couple of harmless Android applications alongside an Android task manager if such a thing exists. Wait for me a couple of days, I 'll get to the bottom of this even as a user.

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Good point, I mispoke then. Perhaps download one of the out of the box pictures and copy? :-)
Ok so I downloaded some android file manager and got one of the OOB pics and I was kinda surprised, height is actually 1600 pixels

So if anyone wants to show full picture when making an ambiance, size is 1600x540

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TrD For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

Maybe @shanttu has installled some tweak to enable it and forgotten about it later...
Not true. I just dial *99# using network manager on Mint and it connects... On Windows I remember the Nokia Suite allowed the same thing too...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Not true. I just dial *99# using network manager on Mint and it connects... On Windows I remember the Nokia Suite allowed the same thing too...
That might be the reason, it acts like some modem emulation thingy

What I use is "raw 3g access", just throw up nat&forwarding on the device and use it like it was a nexthop router.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience