Posts: 145 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Milton Keynes, UK
Hi All,

Its been a while since I posted, I'm afraid I was drawn to the dark side and purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2.its a fantastic phone but thats not the point of this thread.

I recently rewired my home network and decided I wanted to get a VPN appliance, but they are amazingly expensive...so I thought about a sheeva plug pc running linux with SSH tunelling...but even though they are small pcs, they are still pretty bulky and expensive.

and then I spied out of the corner of my eye, my N900, gathering dust in my office drawer.

After a good long charge the device booted up, I had already installed ssh so it was ready to go!

I removed all non required apps and settings, IE email accounts and facebook etc.

I then disabled powersaving on the wifi (as that tends to limit incoming connections)

and now it sits there providing me a loverly SSH vpn system, with a full pyhon interpreter (which I have written an automatic easynew downloading tool)

it has lynx on there for an emergency bit of text based browsing.

I also installed X11VNC so I can remote in and control the phone should I need to.

it also acts as a 32GB online storage device, and using truecrypt gives me full encryption of that storage should the device get stolen!

I have a cheap timer plug which switches charging off for a few hours every day to allow the battery to drain.

I'd love to hear others ideas of what I could add?

Thanks

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jamiefuller For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
That's very nice indeed, N900 serving well in the afterlife

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
For VNC i find you need to keep the screenlight on, it won't wake up with VNC input (and it doesn't seem to run the server automaticly, i need to start it myself).

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2011-10-11 at 11:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
yeah I only fire up the service if i'm planning to actually use it. not that I have any use real use for it as all the telephony functions are disabled but it's better to have it and not need it than the other way round.

I'm just looking into the best shell only apps now.

it's certainly woken up my love of llinux again, and its so wierd seeing my n900 screen (via vnc) on my S2,

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
Nice solution, maybe you could substitute the battery with an adapter connected directly to the battery terminals in order to avoid (dis)charging the battery because the device becomes quite hot when used with active antennas and charger connected (almost mine becomes very hot when used i.e. as 3g-wifi hotspot and charger connected)
Bye!

The Following User Says Thank You to djdas For This Useful Post:
idea: you could also use it as a wireless music player - plug it into the speaker system and use VLC to play music, and control it via http.

Thats a good idea djdas, at the moment I have the device charge and dischage daily. having the battery in there also has the additional advantage of a built in UPS

thats another good idea skykooler, I could freak my wife out by playing music to her while I'm at work

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by jamiefuller View Post
I'd love to hear others ideas of what I could add?
You could add more awesome games of yours in the repositories

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
hahaha, nice one HtheB, and thanks for the compliment!