Notices

Any chance of being able to choose contacts with addresses as start/end points or POI (without having to type them in by hand)?

I'm really hoping for this feature, without it directions don't help me much as I tend to need directions on the fly...I rarely have the patience to type in LONG start or end points on the tiny keyboard.

Just as an example, tomorrow I have to drive to a specific address at an airport tomorrow (to get a travel permit for a pet), that's _not_ attached to a specific terminal. Then I have to go to a not-so-close city to get health permits for people traveling with that pet. Both have long addresses, pain to type in as POI, both have been added to contact list for other reasons.

Tomorrow I will have to use Google Nav in old Milestone, instead of shiny new n900 with modRana.

I have contributed via Paypal in the past, I really like the program, this is just my personal "must have" modRana feature.

The Following User Says Thank You to eachna For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Any chance of MoNav Daemon integration? (I WILL read this thread all the way through when I have time, but I don't now.)

I use Navit, personally, on my N900. It's the only navigation software right now that has both offline navigation/routing and voice directions. No need to download a new route beforehand (though you may have to download the maps, admittedly).

I would be seriously considering either this or Mappero (or now Mable, now that that's come up out of practically no where recently, but seems to be good), instead of the not-developed-for-Maemo Navit, if it wasn't for the fact that I have to trade either internal routing or voice navigation.

So, HAS MoNav routing been implemented already, and I just missed it, or is it planned and likely to actually come soon?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Is the POI list working?

I tried entering some bookmarks for the upcoming FOSDEM in Brussels, only to find out that the POI list is empty after entering 3 locations

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
@eachna: There's a tool that changes the default action for several things contact based, including what launches when you press a contact web-link and/or address. I'm not sure modRana can take a target address via command line. If it could, and maybe do a route-from-here-to-poi, that would make it nicely integrated.

@petur:POI is working... you may be confused by the interface a little though. When you enter the point, it asks for 3 piece of information:
A name for the point
A description (more detailed) for the point
The category to put it into.

The first two are pop-ups, and clearly look like an ask for input. The last input MartinK re-used the list screen for the POI types. That's confused me a couple of times, especially since there's an "escape" arrow. If you escape from there, it never saves the point. You should choose a category to put it into, THEN it saves and should be fine.

Martin: Maybe a pop-up with a drop-down list of the possible categories would be more user-friendly and/or more in-line with expectations for input? It's a small UI change, but I think it will make POI more intuitive for most newcomers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Thanks... I was indeed escaping that list - silly me.

works now!

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
custom query doesnt work? no text field appears.

thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to typer0149 For This Useful Post:
I've had that too at some point. Close modRana and it will work again (at least it did here)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
excellent. thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to shady For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
I tried the "car" mode the other day, and I couldn't quite understand what those [activate a track to show time to start] and [activate a trck to show time to dest] boxes mean. What does it mean to "activate a track", if track drawing is ON anyway already?
This is because you can display more than one track at once and modRana needs to know which track the info display should relate to. Just go to the tracklogs submenu, select a tracklog, then go to its tools menu and press set active -> athis makes it active. Yes, its quite cumbersome - but temporary. Once the widget system is revamped, this should be accomplished just by long-pressing (or doubleclicking ?) the corresponding widget and selecting a tracklog for it to monitor.

Could be also a setting there were the language is selected. "Use voice on/off."
OK
Planned route drawing line is top of the current track line. I think the current track should be drawn on top so we would see where we are and where we have come from better.
Do you mean the current track that is drawn when logging or displaying a saved tracklog ? BTW, a toggle for this behavior might be needed as I can image use-cases for both route and track on top.

Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Any chance of a Clutter-based UI coming soon? I love modrana, but dragging the map just feels slow.
I don't really know, it sure is quite important for more fluent map moving and it should also fix some other issues, like the quite jerky map rotation (by animating the rotation instead of just switching to new orientation) and should possibly even enable some new features, like fluent zoom or the fake-3D mode known from car navigations systems. But there are also quite a few other important planed features and improvements, that aren't really dependent on lightning fast map scrolling.
Well, I have at least succeeded in compiling python bindings for clutter 1.0, which does not segfault when embedded in GTK like the current extras version does.
I have already sent a patch to the pymaemo people a while ago but nothing happened since - I might have to write them again.

Originally Posted by eachna View Post
Any chance of being able to choose contacts with addresses as start/end points or POI (without having to type them in by hand)?
Contact access is definitely on the on the todolist, namely, routing to-and from contacts, contact->POI, POI->contact. I have already investigated how to access the contact list - its not straightforward but I should be able to get the needed data (through telepathy bindings or even ctypes, if there is no other choice).

I've got also a few ideas how to improve the, currently quite basic, Address2Address routing functionality:
  • by using the Google provided geocoding service, it should be possible to just type a city or partial address and then the correct one from a list of possible choices
  • once you get a valid address, it should be possible to zoom on it on the map and move the target marker - if needed
  • a list of last used start/destination addresses ?
  • it should be also possible to easily save an address as a POI

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post

Do you mean the current track that is drawn when logging or displaying a saved tracklog ? BTW, a toggle for this behavior might be needed as I can image use-cases for both route and track on top.
That "log a track" was under the track which came from route (current route). When the route-track was followed, the log-track was only visible on some corners where there was GPS accuracy errors.Toggle would be nice to have the current log-track top most or bottom most.

I don't know if it is just me, but whole tracklogs thing seems rather messy UI-wise. There is "tracklogs" and "log a track" buttons in main menu, and behind "log a track" there is "tools" which then has "all tracks visible", "visible toggle", "set active" and so on - but what track for example is concerned with that "set active", the last one which was selected from "tracklogs" menu or the current one which is logging?

What about this reroute "button" occupying so big area of the map when routing is active? Is rerouting needed so often it needs to be there, or could it be behind the [route info]-button, so one could more easily pan the map and not accidentally hit reroute?

I accidentally hit the [reroute] box several times. I think it would be better if reroute-button would be behind [route-info] button. Also one could be able to toggle the routing next turn info box on and off visible from behind [route-info] easily.
One more thing which I now remembered:
When log-tracking is turned on, but GPS-position hasn't not yet got, it draws the track log starting from the center of the country you are in. eCoach had this same problem few versions back but they fixed it.

Any info or idea (yet) what these GLIB warnings are, which are flooding dmesg?

Code:
Jan 12 02:21:11 Nokia-N900 python2.5[16693]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Trying to register gtype 'LocationGPSDeviceSet' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
Jan 12 02:21:29 Nokia-N900 last message repeated 15 times
Jan 12 02:21:30 Nokia-N900 [1325]: GLIB DEBUG default - location-sb: fix status changed: 3->2
Jan 12 02:21:31 Nokia-N900 [1325]: GLIB DEBUG default - location-sb: fix status changed: 2->3
Jan 12 02:21:32 Nokia-N900 python2.5[16693]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Trying to register gtype 'LocationGPSDeviceSet' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
Jan 12 02:21:42 Nokia-N900 last message repeated 9 times
Jan 12 02:21:42 Nokia-N900 [1325]: GLIB DEBUG default - location-sb: fix status changed: 3->2
Jan 12 02:21:43 Nokia-N900 [1325]: GLIB DEBUG default - location-sb: fix status changed: 2->3
Jan 12 02:21:44 Nokia-N900 python2.5[16693]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Trying to register gtype 'LocationGPSDeviceSet' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

Last edited by zimon; 2011-01-12 at 00:24. Reason: GLIB WARNINGS with the newest version still

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps