Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I don't know what you mean by "32s is enough" though. At least bq24150 watchdog will need 10s at worst case
for speed detection a single sequence of i2c commands is enough ( first i2c command from booston )
the kernel don't need a circular timer for stable vbus for speedcheck
a single 32s pulse** for first hardware testing, and a second pulse for full - high selection ( ** turned off when not necesary )
then set a modified procfs. echo A(utosense) > /sys/.....?
a simple program from userspace can check this output then start with the corect speed.
i think is there is a great complication stopping bme and start a circular timer from kernel space. for sure the timer can do the job easy "from inside"

i will make a modification in the script with single i2c command for first speed ckeck.
this avoid ugly killall booston in first step
a simple daemon can watch ID* pin so triggering the host will make things simplier and natural

*with filled CA-157 cable or uAsoket

please provide feedback about the script (PM or .. your choice )

Last edited by blue_led; 2011-12-07 at 19:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
blue_led, wouldn't it be profitable, to write how correct order of doing things should look, using Your script? I mean executing it before/after connecting device physically, etc. I think it would save us plentora of false bug reports/"it doesn't work for me" posts.

As for script itself, I got strange results testing it with my low-speed USB keyboard, connected to high-speed hub. It result in connecting hub at full-speed (I'm 100% sure hub is high-speed), but I'm not rising alarm, until I get opportunity to check it with another female-female adaptor (loose connection may be the case here). In HEN, sometimes full/low-speed tolerates loose cables, while high doesn't...

I'm waiting eagerly for other reports, cause I've lost hope for new GUI released by MAG.

/Estel

// Edit
I'm using joerg_rw's improved booston.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I'm writing bq2415x charging kernel module, so something related should be done in this module too (as replacement for BME).
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pali/bq2415x/

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by pali View Post
I'm writing bq2415x charging kernel module, so something related should be done in this module too (as replacement for BME).
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pali/bq2415x/
yes. otg vbus controll and force boost sysfs

@estel
i always start with device conected using original h-e-n or my script. connect the device and tap host icon. that's all is irelevant the moment of the connection until vbus go on
without external power i have no problem with 1hub, 1 sd card reader+card, and a mouse all connected together copying files and working with the mouse !
if your n900 loose vbus ... no hope. any vbus drop below 4.4 V will lost the host
you should have an icon pointing to the script. the shortcut can be added as usual on any desktop .
if icon is a blue square then reboot.
why you need gui. it is an programmer tool !! i say with full respect to Mohammad work

addendum
@estel
i confirm there is a bug.
with some hubs with integrated cardreaders the script will fail.( timeout problems )
an updated version will come

Last edited by blue_led; 2011-12-06 at 20:24.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by qhubekela View Post
Latest charger.sh is here
http://enivax.net/jk/n900/charge21.sh.txt
just remove the .txt
Thank you. With this file it has worked well.

The script works with several pendrive I've tried.

What if I'm using an external power source, the N900 starts loading?

@blue_led

Thanks for answer. Another small suggestion - could You consider including improved booston in Your script set? I've copied it manually - to check if it works - but, normally, it contain vanilla version of booston straight from H-E-N.

/Estel

//Edit
Not rellevant to script set, but I'm quite surprised, that You can use H-E-N with USB stuff connected before vbooston. I was never able to do that - in my case, correct order is to plug device shortly after booston, before enumerating (obviously). Otherwise, I get bunch of errors like "device not accepting address xyz".

// Edit 2
As for whitewolf suggestion, please *don't* enable charging with external power detected, at least by default. There are use cases - at least, in my situation - hen I don't want N900 to charge, at the same time powering USB devices (connected to it) externally via Y-cable/powered HUB.

In other cases, executing boostoff && charge.sh is simple enough.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-12-07 at 01:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
// Edit 2
As for whitewolf suggestion, please *don't* enable charging with external power detected, at least by default. There are use cases - at least, in my situation - hen I don't want N900 to charge, at the same time powering USB devices (connected to it) externally via Y-cable/powered HUB.

why not? if you're using HEN it's going to run out of battery alot sooner then if you wasn't using HEN.

Maybe you shouldn't even be using the Y adapter, instead just use plain powered hub, which wont return charge to the phone.

So for me, I would rather it charge on external power.
Besides, I think the charge.sh script only charges when the battery isn't full.

First of all, some powered hubs does provide power to uplink. Yea, I know they shouldn't, but...

Second, it's not healthy for battery (life) to keep it at max voltage. LiPo's (LiIon's, in particular) like best to be keep between 20-80%. For people working for hours with keyboard/mouse connected to N900, keeping it auto-charged is extremely unhealthy for battery.

Not mentioning plentora of other situations, like calibrating battery chip, etc.

As for "charging only to 100%", what else do You want? Battery exploding due to overcharge?

In any case, invoking charge.sh when someone want charging, is easy enough. You won't get other charging method during hostmode, anyway.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

While I am aware. My English is not very good.

żI can or not to load while I have connected a USB device? Should I not do? I refer to your script, Estel

If yes, what steps should I follow.

I have a cable ready with diodes to prevent the arrival of current to the N900.

As a Y cable like this.

The plug and cable with thinner section for additional power.

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host