Notices

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Kung Foo View Post
Nice to see the N9 start to bloom also from geocacher's view
I'll have to try out the CacheMe N9 port and the new N9 AGTL before we decide on whether there is any need for additional geocaching applications (well there always is, but is it worth the spent time).
The N9 has such a small audience that you should really try to join forces. Now that AGTL has official N9 support, i'd really recommend that you spend your time there and forget about the ugly CacheMe versions.

While started as a MeeGo project CacheMe has made a 100% shift to Symbian and if i have to decide whether i fix something in a way that works better for Symbian or MeeGo/Harmattan/Maemo5 i'll always give Symbian the preference and i won't do any Harmattan/MeeGo specific changes.

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
The N9 has such a small audience that you should really try to join forces. Now that AGTL has official N9 support, i'd really recommend that you spend your time there and forget about the ugly CacheMe versions.

While started as a MeeGo project CacheMe has made a 100% shift to Symbian and if i have to decide whether i fix something in a way that works better for Symbian or MeeGo/Harmattan/Maemo5 i'll always give Symbian the preference and i won't do any Harmattan/MeeGo specific changes.
Please explain what in your opinion is ugly on my CacheMe4Harmattan? If it is just the styles of the buttons, well, that will not be too hard do modify. If is is the missing swipe functionality, then ok, that is not nice, but it is still good usable.

After I invested a lot of time to try to rewrite the SleepAnalyser GUI with QML, I for sure can say that it was much less work to modify your QT GUI instead of rewriting everything.
Beside of all of that, I thought I would learn more about C++ with modifying your code instead starting from scratch.

After all, I successed yesterday to get the combobox in the navigation window working. So I am not too far from releasing a complete version and hopefully get it into OVI Store.

P.S.
I experienced already several times crashes with CacheMe. They usually happen when I am on the main screen and pan around on the map. I am pretty sure they occur somewhere in the backend. Do you experience the same on the N900 or Symbian versions?

P.S.2:
Does Symbian have a future or market?
I never had a Symbian phone in my hands. All I hear is "its dead".
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Finland
Thanks caco3 again!

Your CacheMe port is the ONLY functional and public geocaching software for N9 at the moment. I use it while waiting for AGTL which I used with N900. Some ugly details about not being native QML or something is just irrelevant. It works. That's enough for me for time being.

AGTL will have some advances when it arrives. E.g. Finnish topographic maps with Mapsi program will probably be supported - as they are with N900. This is actually something which I never realized with N900

P.S. I am also tired of hearing "its dead". When looking this forum I would say "its not".

The Following User Says Thank You to ranto For This Useful Post:
Hi all

I just packed a new version of my Harmattan port of CacheMe.

Changelogs:
Code:
  Changes:
   * Added proper About window
   * Improved look & Feel of many windows
   * Waypoints in Navigation window can now be selected
   * Waypoints can be created/modified/removed (experimental)

Known issues:
   * General:
       * Works only in landscape mode. Reason unknown, will not fix this
       * Parent windows do not get hidden in task manager (solution not yet found)
   * Navigation screen:
       * Replace dialogs with proper windows

Please test it and let me know what you think about it!

Download: www.ruinelli.ch/download
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Hi Caco3,

first of all, thank you very much for our effort! It's the only geocache application for my N9 I have found. It looked pretty bad, after Till had dropped its support for Meego. I'm (or was) a CacheMe-user on the symbian plattform (Nokia E7-00). So I'm familiar with it.

I have only a few minor bugs, improvement to add:

1) The change of the online maps is (as in the Symbian version) buggy. Somehow I hardly manage to change the mapsource. First you have to change the "Map service". Terminate the application and relaunch it. Then you can select the proper "Map type", since the list will now be accorinding to the selected "Map service". Then you have to relaunch the application again. It would be nice if the "Map type" selection can be made in the same time one changes the "Map service".
Moreover, I can't to change to "Google Satellite Map" at all. The screen will stay gray and no photos will be loaded. This issue was already a problem in the symbian version. Luckily, the OSM Maps are fine most of the time.

2) On Symbian I used SmartGPX for offline caching (due to roaming or bad network coverage). It has a nice feature, where you could log your finds in the calendar. So when I returned from a geocache-trip I had just to check my calendar and could log them on the geocaching site. Pretty useful if your caching for several days in a row and aren't able to log them immediately (holiday, or because the meego browser won't let you logon to the geocache site)

3) You can't use the application offline. The original CacheMe App let you choose your Cache source. So I could switch to stored GPX (Pocket Query). Of course it doesn't show any map. But I could still use it to look for nearby caches in my stored gpx-file and read the description, hint, logs, etc. A "list View" would be extra-nice (similar to SmartGPX mentioned above).

4) Your download page (www.ruinelli.ch/download) won't work in N9 browser. If you select to download the file an error message appears. So I have to download on a PC, transfer the file to the N9 and install the file. Perhaps you can fix this.

That's all, for now. Due to the current season, I'm not an very active geocacher. But I'll do my best to give you feedback on the latest releases.

Greeting from Luzern
rog007

The Following User Says Thank You to rog007 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rog007 View Post
Hi Caco3,

first of all, thank you very much for our effort! It's the only geocache application for my N9 I have found. It looked pretty bad, after Till had dropped its support for Meego. I'm (or was) a CacheMe-user on the symbian plattform (Nokia E7-00). So I'm familiar with it.
For now its the only working one. But as you can see in this thread, others are working on other versions.

I have only a few minor bugs, improvement to add:

Thank you very much, this helps a lot.
In general I have to say that I in first priority try to get CacheMe running on the N9 and into OVI store. This involves GUI changes, but no changes on the core functionality. I know that it crashes quite often (at least on the N9/N950). I am sure this is caused in the core and not a bug in the parts I modified. How ever later on I will see if I can trace those issues. Maybe Till also can give a hand, since its his code.

1) The change of the online maps is (as in the Symbian version) buggy. Somehow I hardly manage to change the mapsource. First you have to change the "Map service". Terminate the application and relaunch it. Then you can select the proper "Map type", since the list will now be accorinding to the selected "Map service". Then you have to relaunch the application again. It would be nice if the "Map type" selection can be made in the same time one changes the "Map service".
Moreover, I can't to change to "Google Satellite Map" at all. The screen will stay gray and no photos will be loaded. This issue was already a problem in the symbian version. Luckily, the OSM Maps are fine most of the time.
AFAIK this is the same as on the N900 versions. I dont know how it is on Symbian. As stated above, I adapted this directly from the official CacheMe code. For now I will let it be, but will see what I can do later on.

About the not working Google Satellite Maps:
It is exactly the same for me on my N950 as well as on the N900. When you pan to other areas, it sometimes works, but seems to fail randomly. Since Till sais it works fine for him, I am a bit unsure as where the problem might lie.

2) On Symbian I used SmartGPX for offline caching (due to roaming or bad network coverage). It has a nice feature, where you could log your finds in the calendar. So when I returned from a geocache-trip I had just to check my calendar and could log them on the geocaching site. Pretty useful if your caching for several days in a row and aren't able to log them immediately (holiday, or because the meego browser won't let you logon to the geocache site)
Do I understand you right that this would be a new function which is not yet implemented in CacheMe at all?
I would have to dig into this as well later on. Since I am just new in the geocaching business, I haven't understood everything yet.

3) You can't use the application offline. The original CacheMe App let you choose your Cache source. So I could switch to stored GPX (Pocket Query). Of course it doesn't show any map. But I could still use it to look for nearby caches in my stored gpx-file and read the description, hint, logs, etc. A "list View" would be extra-nice (similar to SmartGPX mentioned above).
This is currently disabled, but I will try to enable it again. It needs some more GUI tweaks.

OT: How and where do you download the GPX data? As I understand, on geocaching.com you have to be a premium user for that.

4) Your download page (www.ruinelli.ch/download) won't work in N9 browser. If you select to download the file an error message appears. So I have to download on a PC, transfer the file to the N9 and install the file. Perhaps you can fix this.
I am aware of that. Sadly the N9 browser lacks on quite a few ends, including missing Mime types and HTTPS pages.
See here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79796
and here: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4830

Those sadly are issues I cant fix myself (in CacheMe4Harmattan or the browser).

I am currently trying to get CacheMe4Harmattan into OVI store.
If I success, and I see that it is appreciated, I might invest more time into the mentioned improvement/new features.
One main thing I i.e. miss is a scale of the maps. This shouldn't be too hard to add.

Greeting from Luzern
rog007
Cool, another swiss N9 user
There seem to be quite a lot around!
and more...

Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
I know that it crashes quite often (at least on the N9/N950). I am sure this is caused in the core and not a bug in the parts I modified. How ever later on I will see if I can trace those issues. Maybe Till also can give a hand, since its his code.
Mine is actually quite stable. From time to time it freezes, but since you implemented the limit of number of cache it shows, it's much better (I use it almost always with the osm street maps).

Do I understand you right that this would be a new function which is not yet implemented in CacheMe at all?
Yes this is a "feature request". I totally understand, you will have to get the already implemented stuff run stable and smoothly. But if you feel boring and have way too much time, you could work on such a feature

I would have to dig into this as well later on. Since I am just new in the geocaching business, I haven't understood everything yet.
Ahh, welcome to the geocaching community. I'm not a hardcore geocacher. But it's a nice hobby, when you're on your way. Especial, when you have an application on your mobile phone, where you can have a look at caches around you. So you don't need to prepare a lot at home.

OT: How and where do you download the GPX data? As I understand, on geocaching.com you have to be a premium user for that.
Yes, only "premium members" were able to create such gpx files. You have to pay a yearly fee to get "premium member". In "Pocket Queries", you can set a starting point and the query will collect all geocaches around this point. The query considers many different attributes (type, size, last visit, etc. of the cache). I use this feature regularly to transfer the caches to my Garmin GPS or to prepare possible caches form destination on my holiday. Moreover it’s the only solution for paperless caching, when you haven't any network coverage (or you won't make a connection due to roaming fees). More info (in german): http://www.cachewiki.de/wiki/PocketQuery

Cool, another swiss N9 user
There seem to be quite a lot around!
Cool, there are some active Meego developers around!

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Finland
I just tried the CacheMe Meego port, and there is some potential for sure

Some initial comments:

1) Supporting also portrait mode is a MUST. It feels really cumbersome to cache in landscape mode. Supporting portrait should be no problem if the codes are just written well. In QML this should be trivial. See e.g.:
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/..._rotation.html

2) The options and info buttons should be moved under options menu in toolbar. No need for them to be always limiting the screen estate.

3) Hiding found caches is nice. That's already implemented in the Qt version, so porting that should be easy - right?

Keep on rocking!

I just tried the CacheMe Meego port, and there is some potential for sure

Some initial comments:

1) Supporting also portrait mode is a MUST. It feels really cumbersome to cache in landscape mode. Supporting portrait should be no problem if the codes are just written well. In QML this should be trivial. See e.g.:
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/..._rotation.html!
As you might know by now, my CacheMe port is not bases on QML but on plain Qt! My goal is to get a working geocaching application with less effort as possible. This is why I did not use the QML version Till started to work on. I myself tried to change my SleepAnalyser to use QML but had to give up since it is a lot of work and involved many frustrations due unexplainable effects

For me I do not really see the need of an portrait mode! If I figure out how to get it working, I will use it, but I will not invest a lot of time into it.

If you can't life with that, feel free to give it a try yourself.

2) The options and info buttons should be moved under options menu in toolbar. No need for them to be always limiting the screen estate.
Since I am not using QML, I AFAIK have no way to use the QML toolbar. Because of that I had to use this solution.
I personally belief that that it is not disturbing too much since the other buttons anyway have to stay there.

3) Hiding found caches is nice. That's already implemented in the Qt version, so porting that should be easy - right?
Yup, I disabled that feature and forgot to re-enable it. Will fix it soon.
and more...

Hi all

Thank you for all your suggestions and feedback.
Some of them I already could implement, some others are still on the todo list.
Despite of that, there is already a new version available. (www.ruinelli.ch/download)

Changes:
Code:
cacheme (0.8.10-1-Harmattan9) unstable; urgency=low

Changes:
   * Flickering of buttons in Coordination dialog should be fixed
   * Reenabled high resolution buttons
   * Reenabled hiding owned/found caches
   * Added button to cache window to open cache in browser
   * Various minor changes

Known issues:
    * Works only in landscape mode. Reason unknown, will not fix this
    * GPX files can not yet used (needs work in settings window as well as on file selection dialog)
    * It sometimes crashes when panning the map. This might be dependant on the selected map service. More investigation is needed
and more...