USB/IP... please?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Some background for those that have joined the Maemo community more recently: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/kernels/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Am i the only one who thinks BFS might be useful?

I like the idea of a community kernel. IPv6 is definitely on my list, along with all the Mobile IPv6 options (when I have time to build it).

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Joydev, as was mentioned already.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
NILFS(preferably backported from the latest versions, same for ext4), linux-vserver, initramfs(built into the kernel - wait 3-4 seconds before continuing boot), put a good keymap for the n900 into the kernel keymap(add things like | and such on certain keys, enable access to Fn KEYS.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
NILFS(preferably backported from the latest versions, same for ext4), linux-vserver, initramfs(built into the kernel - wait 3-4 seconds before continuing boot), put a good keymap for the n900 into the kernel keymap(add things like | and such on certain keys, enable access to Fn KEYS.
I'm not sure vservers are really a good idea. First, are you sure the patch integrates well with the linux-omap-nokia kernel? Does it work fine on arm boxes?

And, is there really a point for a community/generic kernel to have that kind of thing? I don't deny the fact that it might be interesting to play with cages in the n900, but I'm not sure everybody needs it. And, maybe linux containers might be a better idea. They don't exactly overlap, but at least lxc are mainline so it might be easier.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by corsac View Post
I'm not sure vservers are really a good idea. First, are you sure the patch integrates well with the linux-omap-nokia kernel? Does it work fine on arm boxes?

And, is there really a point for a community/generic kernel to have that kind of thing? I don't deny the fact that it might be interesting to play with cages in the n900, but I'm not sure everybody needs it. And, maybe linux containers might be a better idea. They don't exactly overlap, but at least lxc are mainline so it might be easier.
It is just a glorified chroot so should work but of course it have certain specific bits and pieces. But one that has process separation etc.

Though wouldn't mind getting a more recent kernel like .32 on the device.

What I'd like to see is:
a) Have a minimal core distro running by default
b) Have a easy to use select menu to pick a vserver to start
c) start the vserver for example maemo5 - > get to it's GUI etc.
d) be able to clone the m5 vserver before doing an upgrade so in case of badness can easy to switch back to the old one
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
It is just a glorified chroot so should work but of course it have certain specific bits and pieces. But one that has process separation etc.
Hem, it's a little bit more than that. And it's not in tree, which is why I'm not even sure the patch applies against linux-imap+nokia, and what would be the work to port it.

Though wouldn't mind getting a more recent kernel like .32 on the device.

What I'd like to see is:
a) Have a minimal core distro running by default
b) Have a easy to use select menu to pick a vserver to start
c) start the vserver for example maemo5 - > get to it's GUI etc.
d) be able to clone the m5 vserver before doing an upgrade so in case of badness can easy to switch back to the old one
That's a bit out of scope, imho.

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
USB/IP is now enabled. please test if you have a working USB/IP server.
I think for the other features (BFS, recent ext4 etc.) we should first try to upgrade to a .32 kernel.