Active Topics

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by Johnnie Price View Post
I'll be sending mine out as soon as I can make it to the Post Office. FedEx turned out to be out of my price range, so as soon as I can get a free hour in the middle of the day it will be shipped. Sorry for the delay. I'll let you know as soon as it gets under way.
No rush, and please don't send anything by courier - anything but that. They charge a customs brokerage fee at the receiving end to bring it across the border - $28 to $35 and that's on top of what the shipping costs. Ouch! Unless it's something big, like tires, USPS is much better.

David...

I can't resist posting this... sorry

Phil sent his N810 in the original box and, well, after using an N810 for years, I just couldn't help but laugh...

See that guy? You know why he looks like that?

It's because he's been wandering around for the last 20 minutes, totally lost, because the N810 STILL hasn't got a GPS fix

I mean, I love that thing, but it does have it's failings,

David...

P.S. You know why it hasn't got a fix? Yeah, when the keyboard is extended the GPS antenna is shielded by the screen... never get a decent lock that way newbies...

Last edited by fixerdave; 2012-02-12 at 11:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post:
The unit was shipped yesterday by the US Post. Hopefully you'll get it in a couple of weeks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnnie Price For This Useful Post:
The unit was shipped yesterday by the US Post. Hopefully you'll get it in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again for sending this. I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it, even if it is broken. I've always liked taking things apart; once in a while I get them back together again too

David...

Arrive yesterday afternoon... Yay! At first I though... the screens not cracked... looks good, did he ship the wrong one? Then I tossed a battery in it and fired it up. Very pretty effect streaks of light when twisted or poked. Could almost make a video game out it by itself

Anyway, thank you very much for sending it. I still haven't figured out what to send you and Phil back, but I'm thinking. I'll come up with something weird.

As soon as I get my bike back together, yet another project, I'll start in on the disassembly. I promise lots of pictures. Should be fun.

Thanks again,

David...

Glad it arrived safely. Hope you can get it back in working order.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Mars
how much would you guys say a brand new n810 sealed is worth? as new
Powered by blue dream

Nokia N810 32gb
CSSU Stable Latest
Telescope
Turbo Kernel

resurecting my old thread here...

So, I tried Android. Cybernav, 10" SuperTab, A knock-off of a knock-off YinLips Android gameboy emulator thing (for my kid), and an Android smartphone for the wife. They all suck.

Okay, the Cybernav does gps really well, and it works great for what I wanted it for... mounting on the handlebars of my on/off road motorcycle. Custom maps, it's amazing really - and it still works after a couple of riding seasons. My 3 year old kid loves the YinLips, but he'd use anything with a touch screen that plays Angry Birds, or anything for that matter. My wife doesn't use her smartphone much, but doesn't want to give it up either. And my 10" SuperTab is kinda/sorta useful, but not really. Too big to carry; needs a keyboard to be useful, and then I'd rather be using a laptop.

All the while I've been playing with the above, I've been a daily user of my N810... It's just there, doing what I want, still. The more I've learned about Android, the more I like my N810.

But, in the interest of sharing my oddysey through the world of Android, here's what I've learned:

Android, as a operating system, is... not good. Weird things just keep getting in the way. I kept at it, thinking it was a Windows user trying to deal with OSX kind of thing, just not seeing the big button that will do what you need, though maybe not the way you want it. But, no, Android is just not very good.

I'm a "the OS is there to let you run applications" kind of guy, so the above isn't that big a deal. I'll deal with a clunky OS to get the app I want running. And, yes, there's a certain amount of App-Envy coming from Maemo, but not as much as you'd think, and it goes both ways.

In Android, the wealth of mapping apps is amazing (I settled on Orux) and there are other things like WiFi Analyzer, and Google Calendar is enough to make an N810 user cry. But, no Xournal. That one caught me by surprise. No Xournal? Yes, there are PDF annotators (not as good) that take what you write and put it somewhere I've not found, in some special format only they know about, and it stays there, unless you pay. Then, there are the advertisements - even with some of the GPL'd stuff. Oddly enough, a lot of what I found lacking in the N810 (something like Abiword for example) is also lacking in Android.

I had an issue with my Cybernav... it didn't like being reformatted to a Linux USB startup disk (don't ask... very dumb day). It took me about 2 weeks of research to get it back to factory trim (no, a reflash didn't fix it, not at all). Mostly, it was just a learning curve... didn't mind that, but what I learned about Android fragmentation makes all the Linux distros look positively cohesive. "Android" is a mess, and a closed mess to boot.

Hardware wise... the N810 has a lousy GPS, a pathetic camera that's so bad the lack of an app to work it is irrelevant, a decent screen, and a great keyboard. I hate on-screen keyboards. It also has a decent OS and quite a few decent apps.

Overall, I can't believe another year has gone by and I'm still in exactly the same place I was. I'm using an even more obsolete, underpowered, and unsupported N810... and I still can't find anything I'd rather use.

So, I've dug Phil's N810 out of the drawer, figured out how to boot off the external SD card, got the built-in SIP client to work with CallCentric, figured out I can use pop instead of IMAP to read Google mail via the built-in email client, and am re-evaluating all the available apps. I'll keep posting the steps I go through, and the fixes I find, until I happen along a pocket-sized linux computer with a hardware keyboard that makes me want to switch.

David...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fixerdave For This Useful Post:
Booting from external SD card:

Why, because you can set the system partition to 1GB instead of the stock size and install, and install, and install without issue No more fighting for space. Also, and the primary reason for me doing this, is that once I get said SD card set up exactly the way I want, I can make a bit-for-bit copy of it and get my 100% backup file. Never have to worry about it again. I can also move said SD card between N810s and everything will go with it.

Lots of good reason, actually.

This worked for me:
(from: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=25714)

But I had to do the manual swap thing as specified here:
(from: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=168)

Worked well, running of an 8GB SD card and seems very stable. No issues noted so far. For now, I've put the swap and OS on the same card, which is not ideal, but I'm just experimenting at this point.

David...

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
resurecting my old thread here...

So, I tried Android. Cybernav, 10" SuperTab, A knock-off of a knock-off YinLips Android gameboy emulator thing (for my kid), and an Android smartphone for the wife. They all suck.

Okay, the Cybernav does gps really well, and it works great for what I wanted it for... mounting on the handlebars of my on/off road motorcycle. Custom maps, it's amazing really - and it still works after a couple of riding seasons. My 3 year old kid loves the YinLips, but he'd use anything with a touch screen that plays Angry Birds, or anything for that matter. My wife doesn't use her smartphone much, but doesn't want to give it up either. And my 10" SuperTab is kinda/sorta useful, but not really. Too big to carry; needs a keyboard to be useful, and then I'd rather be using a laptop.

All the while I've been playing with the above, I've been a daily user of my N810... It's just there, doing what I want, still. The more I've learned about Android, the more I like my N810.

But, in the interest of sharing my oddysey through the world of Android, here's what I've learned:

Android, as a operating system, is... not good. Weird things just keep getting in the way. I kept at it, thinking it was a Windows user trying to deal with OSX kind of thing, just not seeing the big button that will do what you need, though maybe not the way you want it. But, no, Android is just not very good.

I'm a "the OS is there to let you run applications" kind of guy, so the above isn't that big a deal. I'll deal with a clunky OS to get the app I want running. And, yes, there's a certain amount of App-Envy coming from Maemo, but not as much as you'd think, and it goes both ways.

In Android, the wealth of mapping apps is amazing (I settled on Orux) and there are other things like WiFi Analyzer, and Google Calendar is enough to make an N810 user cry. But, no Xournal. That one caught me by surprise. No Xournal? Yes, there are PDF annotators (not as good) that take what you write and put it somewhere I've not found, in some special format only they know about, and it stays there, unless you pay. Then, there are the advertisements - even with some of the GPL'd stuff. Oddly enough, a lot of what I found lacking in the N810 (something like Abiword for example) is also lacking in Android.

I had an issue with my Cybernav... it didn't like being reformatted to a Linux USB startup disk (don't ask... very dumb day). It took me about 2 weeks of research to get it back to factory trim (no, a reflash didn't fix it, not at all). Mostly, it was just a learning curve... didn't mind that, but what I learned about Android fragmentation makes all the Linux distros look positively cohesive. "Android" is a mess, and a closed mess to boot.

Hardware wise... the N810 has a lousy GPS, a pathetic camera that's so bad the lack of an app to work it is irrelevant, a decent screen, and a great keyboard. I hate on-screen keyboards. It also has a decent OS and quite a few decent apps.

Overall, I can't believe another year has gone by and I'm still in exactly the same place I was. I'm using an even more obsolete, underpowered, and unsupported N810... and I still can't find anything I'd rather use.

So, I've dug Phil's N810 out of the drawer, figured out how to boot off the external SD card, got the built-in SIP client to work with CallCentric, figured out I can use pop instead of IMAP to read Google mail via the built-in email client, and am re-evaluating all the available apps. I'll keep posting the steps I go through, and the fixes I find, until I happen along a pocket-sized linux computer with a hardware keyboard that makes me want to switch.

David...
Ah...from Victoria...I'm Up-Island ....Nanaimo area....ya man I've been consistently using my n810's for a looong while too..5 yrs now?..time flies....actually I have been using my n800's more and more the last year or so now....tinkering away.....I do like my n900...for what it does....figured earlier this year I should finally sign up instead of continuing my practice of lurk-'n-learn...actually there are a few of us that use the n8x0 device line up here...ach ....what's not to love about the old beasties eh?
Not sure how long you've been away from the forums....but have you checked out the neo900 thread? I'm savin' my sheckels...got about 3/4 so far of what the target cost projection is ...and am determined to get one.

Tags
nokia n810, wanted