Notices

Hello,
this is Leonardo, and I'm writing on behalf of the European Commission.
The European Commission is releasing the new EGNOS SDK for app developers. It is available for free on the EGNOS Portal at

http://egnos-portal.gsa.europa.eu/de...kits/egnos-sdk

To start approaching the EGNOS SDK, you can install the Demo App on your smartphone and with the support of the external receiver you can experience the power of high accuracy positioning directly in your hand.

Download the DEMO APP and follow the How To Install Guide. As always if you have any question please reply to this thread;
I am, on behalf of the European Commission, available for any further info, request, questions, you may have on this topic and will post reply here. I will also post further details in the next weeks, following up at this thread.
Thanks and regards,
Leonardo.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to leocard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Very nice of you to approach our community. But as far as I can see, this demo application you're writing about is only for Android phones.

I only see mention of Android, iPhone, BB and windows phone on the site. Are you planning to add support for maemo devices also?

Hello, yes, you're right, the system still does not support Maemo, but this is a possible future development for EGNOS. Also, just for you info, I've found the following info on Egnos Portal regarding Maemo:

''The PEGASE team has developed a toolkit that applies EGNOS corrections on Nokia Maemo phones using the EGNOS corrections from EDAS and without the need of an external GNSS receiver. PEGASE also has an additional application called "EDAS proxy" which extracts only the data that are necessary for the EGNOS application from the EDAS data flow and makes them available on the Internet in the SISNeT format.''

Not sure if you can use this info though.
Cheers,
Leonardo

Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Very nice of you to approach our community. But as far as I can see, this demo application you're writing about is only for Android phones.

I only see mention of Android, iPhone, BB and windows phone on the site. Are you planning to add support for maemo devices also?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leocard For This Useful Post:
Are there plans for a generic POSIX version? That should support Maemo out of the box as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
As usual, the N900 is used as the quick, easy & open research platform then quickly forgotten once it's time to release the real thing.

I very much appreciate your post! This SDK is definitely valuable because of the amount of information on its source code.
It is less useful for coding applications because from what I've read a external GPS receiver giving raw data is required (e.g. uBlox), which I suspect not many people will have .

The good news is that the GPS on the Nokia N9 CAN definitely give very raw data (using the Nokia MEIF -- Measurement Engine Interface protocol). The bad news is that we do not know anything about this protocol and Nokia won't license the documentation to an individual ( check http://www.developer.nokia.com/info/...cense.pdf.html ). Maybe the European Comission might just have the force required to publish this document

So while DGPS (and EGNOS using SISNET) are possible on N9 hardware, we just don't know how to do it. Is this what the above-mentioned "PEGASE" team is doing?

In any case, it's very nice for EGNOS folks to think about our little device community! And I fully agree with the motto on the EGNOS portal: "It's there. Use it."

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-09-05 at 16:36.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Are there plans for a generic POSIX version? That should support Maemo out of the box as well.
The core of the Android version is written in C (for JNI) -- it only has two entry points from the Java part and virtually no deps other than libm. So it is also a good starting point.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
As usual, the N900 is used as the quick, easy & open research platform then quickly forgotten once it's time to release the real thing.
Which is unfortunate having in mind the potential this community and the device itself has.

@leocard - PEGASE tool is marked as "To be further developed" (here). Does this mean it is not ready to be released or its development has just stopped somewhere back in time with no further plans to continue work on it. In either cases it will be good to share whatever has been acheived so far.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@leocard,

Why do we need to register to download the SDK?