Active Topics

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Australia Maaaaaaaaate
Back again.Yet another quiet day so I deceided to revisit our developing script with our software engineer.Id like it to be known that our engineer works predominatly with java so this is difficult for him.Im only offering ideas...As with my previous post,most things have been worked,reworked and tested several times and we are impressed,bar the slurring speech,which is annoying. I`m asking the community if there is any voice synthesis software or script,apart from what we are using,that could be utilized.Something that would allow changing of pitch,speed of pronouncing,tone and the adding of other words or slang...... Any ideas or suggestions would be great .

I also want to thank and credit `krzyc`for the orginal idea and script that is being expanded on.Without you this wouldnt of happened.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghost_who_walks For This Useful Post:
Just an update for those of you following this thread. Here`s what been achieved so far.....

1.Will pronounce name,with the option of the number as well,if both are assigned to the contact list.

2.Will pronounce `private number`if number is silent or blocked by telco.

3.If an unblocked number is received,which is not assigned to any contacts on the list,it will read the number.

4.The gap between repeating is now 2 seconds.

5.Phone will silence when turned face down but will still vibrate.

6.The answering script has been written so the app sleeps whilst no call are incoming but awakes instantly a call is received.Once the call is answered,it returns to sleep.

7.An option is available that allows the name to be spoken once if you dial out using a number assigned in the contacts list or it will speak the numbers as you input them. If the number you input is assigned in the contacts list,when you press dial,it will crosscheck and read out the name and the number.

8.We are exploring the option of having sms and emails read aloud when you open them and/or the option to have them read back to you,as a preview.Nothing is final on this as there are difficulties achieving this so it is 100% effective.

9.We are still using eSpeak,which is a considerable disadvantage,as speech isn't clear and many difficulties controlling the parameters are causing restrictions to what we want to achieve.So if anyone in the community can offer another option for speech synthesis,please speak up.

10.If anyone wants to request a specific option,feel free to post it here.

I have to thank Mikko (your Coopers beer is on its way bro) at our German R&D centre for becoming involved with this.Being a ex-Nokia software engineer,who worked extensively on Meego and has some scripts of his own that hes including.........

And me....well I'm on R&R for 4 weeks but will keep all informed of any developments.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ghost_who_walks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Bangalore, India
Good to hear the update, Let us know when the app/scripts going to posted here or github

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getvasanth For This Useful Post:
Just another update to questions....

1.Yes,everything,once all bugs have been ironed out,will be available here as both a completed app,which will be free for all,and the completed script published,for those of you who can code.Even though we will try to ensure no compatibility problems,testers will be welcome with open arms and any other developers who feel that software they are developing or have already developed and published could utilize this,please feel free to use it.

2.Yes,it is solely for the N9.

3.Yes,unlike a lot of other ongoing projects,this will be update on a regular basis.

4.Yes,we also want community involvement and comment.

And.....we believe we have found another speech synthesis program by the name of `Mbrola`.Mikko,our software engineer,is trying to contact the original developers as it appears to have been abandoned some years ago.The samples of speech I have heard are incredibly realistic but the website is very vague on further details. If anyone can supply further details on this system,it would be appreciated......

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ghost_who_walks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Thanks for your efforts.
Regarding mbrola you may have a look at MartinK's modrana thread.

As you asked for requests, here is one (merely serious): I would like to have an option to call a number/person by speaking the name. Butmaybe this is more something for Saera?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Thank you for referring me to MartinK's modrana thread as I`d completely forgotten about the discussions they were having about the use of Mbrola.But,unfortunately,we cannot legally use it.Mikko did email what we thought was a dead email account but several hours later received a legal letter that runs for over 15 pages from an American legal company based in New York that specializes in copyrights.This company does exist .Apparently one of the original developers of the code sought legal protection,and was granted,a copyright to avoid unauthorized use.They readily threatened legal action but in the same sentence,they offered to sell us the `module`,as they refer to it, for a 5 figure sum !!!!.

So,its back to the drawing board

Let this be a lesson to all the community....Look before you leap

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghost_who_walks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
Ah been there, done that.
What about Festival and porting it?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festi...nthesis_System

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

Last edited by knobtviker; 2013-04-25 at 17:48.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by ghost_who_walks View Post
Thank you for referring me to MartinK's modrana thread as I`d completely forgotten about the discussions they were having about the use of Mbrola.But,unfortunately,we cannot legally use it.Mikko did email what we thought was a dead email account but several hours later received a legal letter that runs for over 15 pages from an American legal company based in New York that specializes in copyrights.This company does exist .Apparently one of the original developers of the code sought legal protection,and was granted,a copyright to avoid unauthorized use.They readily threatened legal action but in the same sentence,they offered to sell us the `module`,as they refer to it, for a 5 figure sum !!!!.

So,its back to the drawing board

Let this be a lesson to all the community....Look before you leap
Sorry, but what's wrong exactly with MBROLA ??? !!! ...

MBROLA License

A++

The Following User Says Thank You to colin.stephane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by knobtviker View Post
Actually pick your poison from here:
http://linux-sound.org/speech.html
Thank you for this link.It seems that a variety of systems are available and we will review each one accordingly and asses them on their relevant pros and cons.We really only want the best that we can get,for both quality and ease of scripting.

The Following User Says Thank You to ghost_who_walks For This Useful Post:

Tags
espeakcaller, nokia n9