Active Topics

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
Hello, maemo community.

I'm proud to announce availability of Gentoo port to N8x0 tablets. Only chroot is possible at the moment, however I'm working on a bootable system. It isn't intended for novice users, previous Gentoo experience is strongly recommended.

You can read the full story: http://slonopotamus.org/gentoo-on-n8x0

Or download stage tarball: http://slonopotamus.org/gentoo-on-n8x0#resources

Benefits:
  • many packages from Gentoo repository
  • no SDK required (Gentoo is 100% self-hosted)
  • latest software
  • strong cpu-specific optimizations (-march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp)
  • EABI support

Last edited by slonopotamus; 2009-08-29 at 07:03. Reason: fixed tarball link

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to slonopotamus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Thats really great news, being a gentoo-user myself I really look forward to trying this on my n810!

The Following User Says Thank You to seiichiro0185 For This Useful Post:
See updated docs for details.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slonopotamus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
wow.... i'm using gentoo on 3 boxes meanwhile, it would be so cool to make my N800 the 4th. - i'll need to try this as soon as there's progress at least on X and wifi. (could live without BT...)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I know your primary purpose is to make this bootable, but one of my constant quests is to find ways to speed up heavy non-maemo apps on the tablets. So I wonder if you have tried running any applications in the chroot with your set of optimizations.

The one everyone wants to know is, how long does it take to start OpenOffice?

Isn't Gentoo that cheap pkgsrc knock-off? (I'm running a NetBSD system at home, so I have a license to be a UNIX elitist now. )

While I like the notion of optimizing builds to our hardware, instead of Debian's maximum compatibility, I do wonder how well the self-hosting build method works in practice; pkgsrc builds of Xorg and such take long enough on my 1760 MHz Athlon to be annoying, so I'd think it would be close to unworkable on the N800.

While it is self-hosting, is there an optional way to offload compilation to another system with a cross-compiler, or are hours of installation and updates just something to put up with in exchange for optimization and self-hosting? (And how long does the initial rebuild take, anyway?)

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I know your primary purpose is to make this bootable, but one of my constant quests is to find ways to speed up heavy non-maemo apps on the tablets. So I wonder if you have tried running any applications in the chroot with your set of optimizations.

The one everyone wants to know is, how long does it take to start OpenOffice?
I can't answer this question until i build openoffice. It's too huge to build on tablet (cpu is not a problem, just wait longer, but I'm afraid it won't have enough ram). I'm going to setup distcc environment to build it. However OpenOffice is low priority for me.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Isn't Gentoo that cheap pkgsrc knock-off? (I'm running a NetBSD system at home, so I have a license to be a UNIX elitist now. )
Gentoo is very similar to FreeBSD ports (all is built from source by default).

While I like the notion of optimizing builds to our hardware, instead of Debian's maximum compatibility, I do wonder how well the self-hosting build method works in practice; pkgsrc builds of Xorg and such take long enough on my 1760 MHz Athlon to be annoying, so I'd think it would be close to unworkable on the N800.
You don't need to build Xorg every day. There are packages that take much time to build (openoffice, kernel, firefox, gcc) but they do not update often.

While it is self-hosting, is there an optional way to offload compilation to another system with a cross-compiler, or are hours of installation and updates just something to put up with in exchange for optimization and self-hosting? (And how long does the initial rebuild take, anyway?)
Of course there is. I can use initial cross toolchain to build packages. Or I can configure distcc. I didn't benchmark full rebuild, but I know that gcc-4.2 rebuild takes 8 hours.

The Following User Says Thank You to slonopotamus For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slonopotamus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by slonopotamus View Post
That's impressive. Do the optimizations seem to offer much of a benefit?

Tags
chroot, gentoo