Active Topics

Does any one know which payment forms are going to be accepted for the Sailfish X release?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meatbiscuit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
If resale is an issue, why not just create a new account just for the license you wish to buy (IF it becomes available for the X Compact), then should you wish to move it on, you give the buyer the account with its software license.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Actually, jenix was right. I am OK with limited time support. What I do not like is that I do not own the license and cannot pass it on as I please..

I see no difference between software and any other product. Bread, a brick, a car or, perhaps the best analogy, a book. Once I buy a book, I can do whatever I damn please with it. I can keep it on the shelf and never open it. I can read it every day. I can sell it or give it away if I no longer like it. And finally, I can lend it to a friend. If I do, then I can no longer read it until I get it back.

Software used to be like that too. That is, until Microsoft came along and changed all that. Now you no longer buy software, you buy "the right" to use it.

No, they don't. J K Rowling does not need to keep track of who bought her book. It is not something Jolla needs to do, it is something they want to do.

There are a million ways of how to provide software anonymously, yet provide updates and guarantee that it is at least difficult, if not impossible to copy. Software companies have sorted that out decades ago. Each copy could come with a unique identifier and an activation code. They can still track each installation to their heart content but the crucial point is, it does not have to be linked to you, the user.

I do not need AD and I would never allow my Jolla spoiled with Android. But, sadly, I need Exchange for work. I would be perfectly happy to pay for the license.
okay how else do they stop you distributing it like a pirate?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
They used our money to build sailfish and a loan for years so we are free to share it as far as Im concerned. I would personally not do it but I wouldn't judge any tablet backer using it.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
They used our money to build sailfish and a loan for years so we are free to share it as far as Im concerned. I would personally not do it but I wouldn't judge any tablet backer using it.
legally thats still pirating :P

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
legally thats still pirating :P
What law and in what jurisdiction?

What law and in what jurisdiction?
Your effectively claiming that Jolla "stole" tablets money, while it was made abundantly clear that it was a donation and not payment.

And in the UK it would go under the computer misuse act.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Your effectively claiming that Jolla "stole" tablets money, while it was made abundantly clear that it was a donation and not payment.

And in the UK it would go under the computer misuse act.
They didn't stole the money. That's for sure.

But they indeed mislead the backers, misused the funds, lied to the backers. Most of it probably not intentionally, but still.

The good part is. They know it and they are working hard to pay it back.

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-10-09 at 21:23.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
They didn't stole the money. That's for sure.

But they indeed mislead the backers, misused the funds, lied to the backers. Most of it probably not intentionally, but still.

The good part is. They know it and they are working hard to pay it back.
good to see you acknowledge that

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
okay how else do they stop you distributing it like a pirate?
Eh? What do you mean? You just quoted my post where I suggested one way. There could be others:

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
There are a million ways of how to provide software anonymously, yet provide updates and guarantee that it is at least difficult, if not impossible to copy. Software companies have sorted that out decades ago. Each copy could come with a unique identifier and an activation code. They can still track each installation to their heart content but the crucial point is, it does not have to be linked to you, the user.
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
If resale is an issue, why not just create a new account just for the license you wish to buy (IF it becomes available for the X Compact), then should you wish to move it on, you give the buyer the account with its software license.
Indeed, it has occurred to me too and indeed that might have to be the way to go.

But I do not like the principle. Linux is supposed to be about FREEDOM, right? As far as I am concerned, there is no difference between being tracked by one company and another. If I am to be tracked by Jolla, I may as well go the full way and be tracked by Google and get something in return (millions of apps, a full range of services...). What do I get from Jolla exactly, when the main selling point - anonymity - goes out of the window?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x