Active Topics

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
On one hand I think this Russian deal is great news for Sailfish and will help it to gain traction. On the other hand, the cynic in me has to ask if this will put an end to the open sourcing of Sailfish's closed components that was once promised.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Whats the problem with russian government OS.
For me, chinese or russian spy, is less problem as NSA Spy.
The american have full access in the western world. In Germany f.e. some years ago, american officer catch a hacker without permission or support from German oficials.
In Mexico, american oficials are checking trip documents.

I think its impossible that chinese or russian ofcicials taking actions in western teritory.
I know, every spy is bad, but for me is more security use "russian OS" in the western world

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
That "US catches hacker in Germany without Germans knowing" story is a hoax. And even though i dislike the NSA, they have rules. Russian agencies don't.

The Following User Says Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
On one hand I think this Russian deal is great news for Sailfish and will help it to gain traction. On the other hand, the cynic in me has to ask if this will put an end to the open sourcing of Sailfish's closed components that was once promised.
I truly doubt it and I'm a full-blown skeptic. However let's be honest. With all of the spying that's been happening and now with a president that will invariably increase those powers; having something out in the open and something that has no back doors is a potentially great thing.

I hope some Western companies embrace it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
That "US catches hacker in Germany without Germans knowing" story is a hoax. And even though i dislike the NSA, they have rules. Russian agencies don't.
It's not so much a matter of rules, its what they can do with the information they have.

Short of kidnapping or assassinating me, theres not much the Russian Government can do to me. Domestically however, my Government can do all kinds of subtle things to make my life worse should they choose to do so.

With that in mind, if i must be spied upon by someone, id choose the russians over a member state of the 5 eyes.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I truly doubt it and I'm a full-blown skeptic. However let's be honest. With all of the spying that's been happening and now with a president that will invariably increase those powers; having something out in the open and something that has no back doors is a potentially great thing.

I hope some Western companies embrace it.
You never know for sure but I doubt Western companies will pick it up as it will have ties to Russia and, well, with the alleged hacking climate would not be right for acceptance. Even Huawei is having a tough time getting a carrier for the Mate 9, one of the best phones out there, due to a variety of issues including doubts about security.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
New press release from Jolla!
As I got only 404 for that link I guess this is the correct one.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
You looks so informed. Go ahead please, we need more information about russian agencies

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I know how to make this work! Since Trump and Putin are going to be such great pals, how about the Russians promise they not spy on US and the US promise they not spy on Russia! Everybody in Moscow will then use iphones
and everyone in Washington DC will use Jolla phones as a sign of trust. Now that can't fail!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
The only i know is together we can make SailfishOS better.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: