first of all, i'm new here, so " HI ALL.... " and sorry if my post is on the wrong group-place....
so, my n900 got crazy...a week ago, the cd command stopped working..i have the Rootsh installed, i'm in the "sudo gainroot" enviroment and i can't cd...for example, i want to cd /MyDocs/....i get the anoying error message /bin/sh: cd can't cd to /MyDocs/ ...everytime i put a diferent directory name, is says /bin/sh: cd can't cd to (direcrotyname) .... the only cd that works is cd /home/user/

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
Welcome to the Maemo Community.

Are you sure you're not intending to do
Code:
 cd /home/user/MyDocs
Your working directory is probably /root instead of of /home/user, so 'cd MyDocs' won't work.

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
even at the /home/user promt you still need to use the complete path eg /home/user/MyDocs

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
even at the /home/user promt you still need to use the complete path eg /home/user/MyDocs
That's not quite right - if your current directory is /home/user, then you only need to:
Code:
cd MyDocs
-note the lack of the leading "/" and the unnecessary trailing "/". If you include the leading "/", then it infers that the "MyDocs" directory is located in the root ("/") directory.

@BlackMask - have a google for a quick intro to the Linux command line - there's gazillions of them out there

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
thnx a lot for your replies....the thing is the command was working the whole time....whenever i pressed cd /MyDocs/ it went to MyDocs...the problem started a week ago, when i couldn't cd...anyway i will try to unistall my programms, in case some installations corrupted x-terminal...(if i press cd MyDocs, nothing will happen..i must include the "/" in the command)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by BlackMask View Post
if i press cd MyDocs, nothing will happen
what do you mean by "nothing will happen"?
what do you expect to "happen"?

if nothing happens (=no error message), chances are that you did change your working directory. how did you verify you didn't? do you rely on the directory name being part of the command prompt? or did you check using 'pwd' or at least 'ls'?

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by BlackMask View Post
cd /MyDocs/ it went to MyDocs...
That's hard to believe. Technically it's possible but it would require presets of which I fail to see why someone would want to set them.
Are you absolutely sure that it wasn't one of the following?:
Code:
cd MyDocs/
cd ./MyDocs/
cd ~/MyDocs/
The current behavior of your shell seems absolutely correct, as far as we can tell from the info you provided.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
last night i unistall the uTorrent on my n900, and somehow the command was working again...it appears that when you install the uTorrent watcher on the n900, the programm automatically tries to establish remote connection with the original uTorrent (wich is my PC), taking all the root access of my phone for it... :SSS....anyway it's working now, although i had to write the full path, cd /home/user/MyDocs/...doesn't matter )
thank you all for your replies!!!!!

Small point but easy mistake to make, is to omit the space between 'cd' and the desired directory.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Philippines
hi!

i can't cd to mydocs using xterminal but when i use ls i see mydocs are there? I am trying to install nitdroid now im stuck at xterminal when going to the mydocs folder.. please help