Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
<snip> (yep, it's funny that even during recession unions demand raises...) <snip>
No more funny than stockholders demanding higher profits, dividends and earnings growth in a recession. Labor and Capital are both stakeholders in a company. Both risk damages by inept management. Capital risks what is usually disposable income; labor risks the well being of the family. Which should have a stronger pull on a company's assets?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Hey, I don't have precise numbers but from what I see here in New York City where I live (a city of over 8 million people), you can see everyone is using an iPhone, Android or Blackberry phone (In order of popularity). I have yet to see someone or know of someone who is using the new WP7 out of the thousands of people I know.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by punto View Post
Having moved from an N900 to an Omnia 7,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(well actually technically speaking I moved from an N900 to Android while moving from iPhone to Omnia 7, but whatever)

True, no Skype, but - the quality of the tentpole apps is in another league. And because they're not catering for nerds who gloss past the issues of fit & finish, will probably stay that way instead of the stuff I had to work through in Maemo.
Who is this guy? well, ban him

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
So Nokia just destroyed the reputation of their current line-up, and tell that maybe in 2012-2013 they'll have something better? What the **** is this, are they serious

Are they trying to hit the stock price to make it cheaper to buy the whole company out with its patents etc?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimmerit For This Useful Post:
But, but, but, They are going to bring you "brands that mobile consumers want like Bing, Office, and XBox Live" -- Stephen Ballmer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe3ks...layer_embedded

I think the market is a great indicator of the success of this union. Losing over 10% in one day after an announcement that was meant to turn the company around is very telling. I don't really support a Frankenstein project like Android, but I bet if they had announced an Android partnership, the numbers would have jumped the other way.

Let's just hope Nokia can live long enough for Elop to get sh*t-canned.

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by punto View Post
Having moved from an N900 to an Omnia 7,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(well actually technically speaking I moved from an N900 to Android while moving from iPhone to Omnia 7, but whatever)

True, no Skype, but - the quality of the tentpole apps is in another league. And while limited with some glaring holes, the OS fit & finish is also already in another league in comparison to Maemo 5 - and you know how long Maemo has been in gestation. And because they're not catering for nerds who gloss past the issues of fit & finish, will probably stay that way instead of the stuff I had to work through in Maemo.
Apps aren't everything. Just look at the first very post on this page. WP7 lacks customisation, file access, copy/paste, multitasking and so on. Maemo 5 is much more flexible, much more open. Sure it lacks apps, but as a SYSTEM, what it offers is way, way ahead.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dusktreader View Post
But, but, but, They are going to bring you "brands that mobile consumers want like Bing, Office, and XBox Live" -- Stephen Ballmer

What a joke, Ballmer is funnier than Monty Python!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ahjolinna For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Apps aren't everything. Just look at the first very post on this page. WP7 lacks customisation, file access, copy/paste, multitasking and so on. Maemo 5 is much more flexible, much more open. Sure it lacks apps, but as a SYSTEM, what it offers is way, way ahead.
What SYSTEM? Sure, it has all of those things but ultimately it doesn't get beyond a nerd toy because of a) the lack of competent apps and b) the lack of sometimes really basic fit & finish in the OS.

Openness means nothing when it doesn't generate anything worthwhile but me-too's. Look at Ubuntu. If you tell me it's better than Windows 7 for everyday productivity and usability, I'm laughing in your face (more economical? Sure, a better argument).

Hell, Symbian has IMO better multitasking than iOS. Does that make it a better SYSTEM? To most people, I'd say not.

The Maemo devices have been fantastic nerd toys. But that's all they've ever been. Where does the N900 platform actually lead in terms of what you can do with it? Emulators? As for me, I loved the Skype integration - which did work really well in chats with the way the multitasking worked. But ultimately, that's about all I really loved - as a user it appeared to have lots of the disadvantages of Android with none of the advantages, along with zero polish.

I just popped back here to read the feedback on the deal. Pretty much as I expected. I for one am hoping WP7 gets extended further as it's a solid if relatively undeveloped at this time (but once again, as I mentioned, already more developed where it matters than Maemo) mobile OS.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'll be buying a Nokia WP7, but if they come out with something genuinely better than Samsung et al - sure.

Last edited by punto; 2011-02-11 at 19:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to punto For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org