Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by http://neo900.org/pre-orders-and-vouchers
Note: if you made the original loan ("donation") to Golden Delicious (GDC) and your loan was then transferred to Neo900 UG (or refunded to you and you then sent it to us), GDC deducted 13% for their own expenses before the reorganization, but your voucher is over the original amount and has the date of your original order with GDC. Example: if you donated EUR 100, then GDC transferred approximately EUR 86, and your voucher will be over EUR 100.
So if I "donated" EUR 100 my voucher should also be worth EUR 100, not EUR 86 or any other amount, right?
My voucher mail says it's worth EUR 69.59, which doesn't make any sense to me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
In September 2013, when the project's budget was first estimated, one Euro was worth about USD 1.33. The Euro appreciated slightly in the following months and at the time of the reorganization it was around USD 1.36-1.37. So the project had actually "won" 2-3%.

Then something unexpected happened: the Euro started to drop ... and kept on dropping until it almost reached parity with the US dollar in March 2015. Since then, it has maintained a value around USD 1.08.
1.33 / 1.08 = 1.23, or a 23% increase
(990 + 150) / 700 = 1.63, or a 63% increase*)

Discuss.

*) Ignoring taxes. I do not remember if it was explicitly said at the time but it was implied (and could be naturally expected from the way prices are usually quoted in Europe) that the original 700€ quote for the complete device included the VAT. Taking that into account, the current price estimnate is 94% over the original.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Holler!

I have received nothing, and nothing in my spam folders either, checked that already
Same here. I made several separate payments, for me and as a proxy for others, ranging from just over 100€ to just over 300€. I received only one voucher, for the last payment (which also happened to be the smallest).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Jersey
I've just ordered a complete device down payment! My 100 EUR voucher and the shop with PayPal payment worked perfectly, but the shop emails had some problems which I've posted about in the shop thread.

Re the ~1000 EUR price: yes it's a lot, but there's nothing else out there that compares to this project. Neo900 isn't an expensive alternative to some other device, it's the *only* option...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to l_bratch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Holler!

I have received nothing, and nothing in my spam folders either, checked that already
juiceme, juiceme... oh right, you're the owner of that one e-mail account that rejects our mails thinking it's spam!

I've resent it from my personal account right now

There was also a second bounced mail saying that the account doesn't exist anymore. If its owner doesn't holler now, we will have to organize some search for him probably

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
So if I "donated" EUR 100 my voucher should also be worth EUR 100, not EUR 86 or any other amount, right?
My voucher mail says it's worth EUR 69.59, which doesn't make any sense to me.
Your case was an edge case. I seem to recall adjusting your data in spritesheet, but it could get lost in some layer of automatic processing. We'll fix it for you, don't worry.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Same here. I made several separate payments, for me and as a proxy for others, ranging from just over 100€ to just over 300€. I received only one voucher, for the last payment (which also happened to be the smallest).
Yeah, same here

Originally Posted by josch1337 View Post
For the purpose of "mak[ing] a news on a populaire[sic] Linux website" it would also be very useful to have a short news article on neo900.org which announces the now open web shop and all the particularities about it: mainly, how the "down payment" idea works, how much the final device/board will probably cost and what specs it will have.
Give us a day or two - we will announce the shop properly on the website.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
juiceme, juiceme... oh right, you're the owner of that one e-mail account that rejects our mails thinking it's spam!

I've resent it from my personal account right now
Thank You, now I just received the mail few minutes ago!

The spam-rejection policy that my email sysadmin implements is really crazy, bordering on raving paranoid!
Possibilities why the email got rejected; if mail system detects that headers are forged or do not exactly conform with RFC's, or if your smtp sending host is one that has been blacklisted in some anti-spam list...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Just one question not in the FAQ:
what will happen if i choose to NOT make the down payment now for the NeoN bare board ?
Will it be possible to reenter the project later ?

I have a voucher code, i have 2 x n900 since 6 years, i got a n9 during 2 years also and i was quite motivated 8 months ago by the board... but time is running against this project and price is hitting the sky without any fixed roadmap (or did i miss an agenda somewhere?)

I can imagine the difficulty to bring this board to life and perhaps i am too pragmatic but, guys, it is a lot of money.
I have it... and i don't want to troll but like jellyroll wrote:
€ 1200,- = Nexus5 + Jolla + N9 + N900
This project had a purpose if it was creating a small community, the board under €500 could have make it.

I'm a bit sceptical and sad now... and without any seriously planned release date, the only reasonable alternative for me is to postpone my order.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dja For This Useful Post:
Quick info - we've just sent all the vouchers. If you donated >= 100 EUR and haven't got one - please holler!
Got my vouchers, made downpayments for a neo900 and a board.

Thanks.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JohnHughes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I commiserate with you dja...
and likewise I'm not trying to troll...
but jellyroll didn't have it completely correct either...
"€ 1200,- = Nexus5 + Jolla + N9 + N900" isn't correct.
the n900 alone ...was 600+ Euros ..
and that was more than 5+ almost 6 years ago now.

How much is (on par) the same quality of cutting edge device 6 years later ...?
Take into account as well...that the device instead is ..created by a very small independent ...aiming (higher still) than what the original was conceived to be and ..far-and-away from what corp. smartphone competitors are doing.
Competitors are going in the opposite direction to what the neo is heading in..
Competitors are aiming at locking things down tighter still...

Too many threads at TMO ..
from alternate os's..all the way down to games ..
I have seen the same statement over and over...
since the n8x0 on up to the n900...
"Can't go any further to make [whatever] work... prop. blobs..."

How much is it worth in such a locked down world to have an open device?

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Quick info - we've just sent all the vouchers. If you donated >= 100 EUR and haven't got one - please holler!
statistics:
33 orders in 14h, one of them actually being a new customer whom I asked to check our shop frontend and he went to order a device right away :-)
12 bank wire, 16 PayPal, 5 "Free Order"(aka 'voucher>amount-payable')

Thanks to all 'testers' for their feedback which helps us to improve the shop. And of course Many Thanks to each and every supporter who creates an account, and thanks for the orders and the amazing amount of top-ups we see getting ordered.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2015-05-18 at 15:11.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
I commiserate with you dja...
and likewise I'm not trying to troll...
but jellyroll didn't have it completely correct either...
"€ 1200,- = Nexus5 + Jolla + N9 + N900" isn't correct.
the n900 alone ...was 600+ Euros ..
and that was more than 5+ almost 6 years ago now.
I bought my first n900 at 650 Euros 6 years ago... and my second one (brand new) 100 Euros one year ago.
At 2015 prices, jellyroll is right.

In fact, i'm not saying the specified board neo900 will not worth the price.
I'm just saying that, at this kind of price, considering that every costs are impacted on the bill, it seems to me a minimum to get a thoughtful agenda and release date to go further.

Dream Vs. reality.
joerg_rw "customer" statistics Vs. real agenda.

The Following User Says Thank You to dja For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!