Active Topics

Notices

v17:QT+pixman link is dead
Anyone can upload please?

Does anyone know where I can get the binaries for the latest release of Fennec 17 for Maemo? Or better yet the full source code used to build those binaries? (including all the relavent debian packaging files used to produce the .deb file)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
I've found sources for some nighties but not 17. Their website archive says 7 was the last official but nightlies might exist. Fmg might know what was used as from what I can see last nightlies were for 10, but I haven't checked every month since.

17 I think was November 2012 but can't find in the folder. Below is for a 10 with source.
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/nightly/2011/11/

I'll check for a local copy of 17 Deb later. I'll also look how I built embedlite 28 and 29a to see if/ how I got around SSL, gstreamer etc.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Have you seen http://www.vladislavonline.com/build...-on-maemo-sdk/ I know their were gtk and qt releases early on. Later were just Qt based because of performance iirc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Have you seen http://www.vladislavonline.com/build...-on-maemo-sdk/ I know their were gtk and qt releases early on. Later were just Qt based because of performance iirc
hmm that was v17, and to qoute

Vladislav on October 24, 2016 at 2:05 am
At the time I wrote this post Fennec was not supported by Mozilla any more, but its makefiles still existed. Now day are completely removed from the source tree, so unfortunately it cannot be built.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Yeah what I am after is the specific binaries (and source assuming it hasn't vanished off the face of the earth) for the most recent Fennec 17 builds posted in this thread since the guy who posted them has done some optimizations and other things (i.e. he has specific stuff in the debian packaging and build configs and things that I want to get a look at)

Although those Fennec 10 binaries for Maemo5 are definitely useful (especially since I can see the mozconfig they used for example)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Further analysis shows that there are some major changes between Firefox/Fennec 17 and Firefox 24 (the GCC version required is a fair bit higher for a start) so finding out what they installed in Scratchbox (or what build configs and setups were used) for FF/Fennec 17 (or any older versions) doesn't really help.
What I think I need to do is to find the exact minimum requirements (in terms of hardware and software) needed to build Firefox 24.8.1 in a GTK2 build for regular linux and that would probably give me the info needed to ensure I have the right packages for Maemo.
Then for the mozconfig I need to find someone who knows about mozconfig options and GCC flags and things who can help me figure out exactly what I want in a mozconfig based on the defaults for FF24.8.1 as well as what the existing microb-engine configs do.

Figuring out what all the maemo-local patches do and which ones do stuff that is still important (and how to do that same thing in the FF24 codebase) would be a nice thing to do as well but again I dont know the Mozilla codebase well enough for that

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Just starting looking at fennec again after all the other browsers I've tried don't seem to load pages well (I'm open to suggestions though), and I too was getting crashes after fennec would open after about 5 sec ... which was the "Segmentation fault" error.

I have found however that when I start fennec 17 from the command line as root, the program doesn't crash. It works as expected. I don't know if this is a bad idea or not. But great for those time when you need to check a site and microbrowser doesn't load them.

x

Update:
For some reason it seems that it's no longer crashing after launching from Hilton regular app icon ... hmm strange.

I've only changed the following:
disable all addons
change startpage to blank page
turnoff don't trackme
turnoff master password
I also changed the UI via about:config to use the older simpler toolbar. "browser.chrome.toolbar_style" from 2 to 1
I think that was it. These don't carry between root and regular user though.

Also I'm running cssu (aren't we all at this point ..lol)

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I've fennec crashing too but its due to seg fault and when uninstalling it there seems to be a problem in the prerm:

Code:
dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads/fennec_17.0_armel.deb 
Selecting previously deselected package fennec.
(Reading database ... 48968 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fennec (from .../fennec_17.0_armel.deb) ...
Setting up fennec (17.0) ...
[1|root@N900|~]fennec 
###################################### forms.js loaded
###################################### content loaded
Segmentation fault
[1|root@N900|~]dpkg --purge --force-remove-reinstreq fennec
(Reading database ... 49334 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing fennec ...
dpkg: error processing fennec (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 fennec

Edit: Reading thru the prerm, its simply ensuring fennec is killed; i did a check again and there isn't any fennec process running but still the removal fails with the same error as above. Please let me know if there is any other log to look at. Running C-thumb here so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!

Last edited by xman; 2019-01-23 at 21:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu thumb2, fennec