Active Topics

Thanks a lot! (I can't really thank you enough.) That works. I'm actually running blackbox and hildon simultaneously now, and struggling with this, but windows are now resizable at least.

EDIT:
Not sure what I did entirely, just blundered through the directory you mentioned and commented out all calls to "hildon-desktop" and "hildon-home".

This keeps "hildon-status-menu" running, but won't open sub-menus from the status-menu for some reason.

Also, I can't say that I like blackbox all that much, it's a bit too minimalistic for my tastes. I guess if we want a complete desktop environment, it still has to be built from source, since I can't find any other prebuilt window manager packages that work besides blackbox and matchbox.

Very nice as a proof of concept however! It really makes me feel like I bought the "mobile computer" that was advertised! I still haven't tried icewm or fvwm. Those might be in the repository from:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=43188

Last edited by radiochickenwax; 2010-07-06 at 01:55. Reason: also

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to radiochickenwax For This Useful Post:
(changed topic, since I don't want to run a "desktop environment" if I can help it. Just need a good window manager.)

Hopefully I'm not off base here, but this is my new (first) thread on the topic. I've included screenshots and a video.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58090

The Following User Says Thank You to radiochickenwax For This Useful Post:
[b]Small update: [/b[

I'm still trying to get rid of the desktop environment altogether so as to save memory. If memory wasn't a concern however, I think the following link would make a more ideal desktop.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileAndEmbedded/UserInterface

I think this is just a modification of the default hildon-desktop that comes with maemo.

Has anyone done this yet? I couldn't find much instruction, but it doesn't seem too difficult at a glance.

The Following User Says Thank You to radiochickenwax For This Useful Post:
The article was created in 2008 so I doubt the embedded proposal is being workied on, but I like the UI examples - they do look similar to the alpha tablet interface for MeeGo.

If they finish it fully and include full rotation support I'd be interested.

The Following User Says Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post:
Posts: 345 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Reunion Island
please, post photos

PC :
MSi K9N2 Diamond, AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2ghz, 2x2GO DDR2 G.Skill Extreme Pi Black PC8500, Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X, Hitachi 1To sata II

The Following User Says Thank You to titi974 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
Being the author of a window manager myself (matwm), I couldn't resist seeing if mine would run on my phone. So being smart as I am, I just replaced Xsession (don't!), and figured there are watchdog daemons rebooting the phone if it notices important stuff goes *poof*. Enabling R&D mode fixed this, and it worked, sorta :-). Was it usable? No. Not yet anyway. I ended up reflashing the phone, so be warned, don't mess with the init scripts unless you are prepared to get in trouble.

I did get to just kill hildon-desktop later (in R&D mode), and launch matwm along the other desktop stuff (and sshd, which was useful). And it seems their popup and menu things, etc - and the hildon panel thing for that mather - expect hildon to do special stuff (other than listening to ICCCM and EWMH hints).

That said, if I get time for it I'm going to try getting a different desktop on the phone, hopefully in a saner fashion than my first experiment - in which case i'll post an update. Actually, my plan was/is to write matwm-mobile, and have it be a complete replacement for the hildon desktop stuff. But I am lazy, not always bright and/or very motivated, so no idea if it'll ever happen.

Originally Posted by titi974 View Post
please, post photos
n900 in R&D mode (hence the keyboard lights weirdness) running matwm (could only launch calendar and media player at the time, matwm defaults settings made it next to impossible to operate, hence what little is on the screen): link (warning: 4672x3104 9.5MB jpeg)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by netman View Post
Being the author of a window manager myself (matwm), I couldn't resist seeing if mine would run on my phone. So being smart as I am, I just replaced Xsession (don't!), and figured there are watchdog daemons rebooting the phone if it notices important stuff goes *poof*. Enabling R&D mode fixed this, and it worked, sorta :-). Was it usable? No. Not yet anyway. I ended up reflashing the phone, so be warned, don't mess with the init scripts unless you are prepared to get in trouble.

I did get to just kill hildon-desktop later (in R&D mode), and launch matwm along the other desktop stuff (and sshd, which was useful). And it seems their popup and menu things, etc - and the hildon panel thing for that mather - expect hildon to do special stuff (other than listening to ICCCM and EWMH hints).

That said, if I get time for it I'm going to try getting a different desktop on the phone, hopefully in a saner fashion than my first experiment - in which case i'll post an update. Actually, my plan was/is to write matwm-mobile, and have it be a complete replacement for the hildon desktop stuff. But I am lazy, not always bright and/or very motivated, so no idea if it'll ever happen.

n900 in R&D mode (hence the keyboard lights weirdness) running matwm (could only launch calendar and media player at the time, matwm defaults settings made it next to impossible to operate, hence what little is on the screen): link (warning: 4672x3104 9.5MB jpeg)
Thanks! If you find a way to completely replace hildon, it will be interesting.

I tried to compile and run JWM, but there are some troubles with fonts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWM
Maybe, I should fetch xfonts-base...

bump, hoping there will be more interest on this in 2014

The Following User Says Thank You to lonk For This Useful Post:
bump.... its 15

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to insanelysexy For This Useful Post: