Somebody should sue them for abandoning MeeGo, because it truly was the way to salvation. Basically the only thing missing is a huge apps catalog, which they could have easily made themselves with the 4,000 or so Symbian guys they had. You know, keeping them fulltime, but asking them to make apps for MeeGo instead of wasting time with Symbian (maybe some nice bonuses for teams making good apps..). Within months there would have been 10s of thousands of quality apps. Instead they decided to abandon years of work and start buying a marginal OS from MS. Oh, and on the topic of Symbian, why was it so god damn difficult to make a nice GUI for it? I mean, basically, that was all that it needed to succeed (or rather, continue success), no? What the hell were they thinking? I'm not saying all MS cooperation is bad, e.g. Nokia Windows 8 tablets is a great idea IMO. However, abandoning MeeGo was a major mistake. F*** Elop and the incompetent Nokia board. They should all be fired.

Last edited by shinogami; 2012-05-07 at 14:13.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shinogami For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
how? when you buy stock you're making a bet that you'll win something with your investement. There is always the risk of losing no matter what a company says. Not all plans play out like the company expects them to (they're also taking risks). If someone buying shares doesn't grok that then it's better to stop buying stock.
You couldn't be more wrong! As an economics student i have heard time and time again people totally misunderstand how the market works.

There is no such thing as 'risk' when buying shares. There is however 'uncertainty'. You're saying, that when someone buys shares in a company they should just pick one at random as it's all based on luck? Nonesense! People research and follow companies to pick which one they think will perform well. Of course they can't guarantee their investment will pay off; they are uncertain

If shareholders were given misleading information, then they have every right to launch a class action. I don't think they'll win though; unless some pretty revealing evidence is disclosed that we have been unaware of

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dared For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shinogami View Post
Basically the only thing missing is a huge apps catalog, which they could have easily made themselves with the 4,000 or so Symbian guys they had. You know, keeping them fulltime, but asking them to make apps for MeeGo instead of wasting time with Symbian

Or buy Alien Dalvik from Myriad Group and get tens of thousands Android apps working in Meego-device at once.

Meego N10, with dual- or quad-core A9, 1GB RAM, Pureview Camera and Dalvik support; and I would buy that instead of SGS3, which I am going to get now. Goodbye Nokia 4ever. I will never buy WP-phone and I know there is lots of people who won't.

Last edited by zimon; 2012-05-07 at 14:16.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dared View Post
There is no such thing as 'risk' when buying shares. There is however 'uncertainty'. You're saying, that when someone buys shares in a company they should just pick one at random as it's all based on luck? Nonesense! People research and follow companies to pick which one they think will perform well. Of course they can't guarantee their investment will pay off; they are uncertain
Without meaning to be inflammatory, what's the difference between a calculated risk and what you've described as uncertainty?

Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Don't give up on Nokia yet the Lumia900 is doing great in the US!
Are you sure?

"...
One troubling sign: Even now, more than a year after Microsoft started shipping Windows Phone 7 devices, U.S. mobile customers are getting rid of Microsoft devices faster than they're buying new ones.
The new Nokia Lumia 900 is nice enough, but no one's lining up en masse to ditch their iPhone for it. And you don't hear anything from AT&T or any other carrier about Windows Phones becoming their best-selling devices, either.
..."
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...26#post1202726

Am I the only one that has the impression, that the ELOP/MS fanboys have dropped into TMO?

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
From previous link:
"Elop was not hired as a boss for a burning platform," said John Strand, founder and CEO of Danish consultancy Strand Consult. "He put the platform on fire."
-------

This destructive dorkwad and the board that supported him is trying to run the company into the ground so microsoft can buy it and use its huge patent portfolio to patent troll.
1 billion a year, fine. That's like me giving you 50k a year for you to wife swap with me and now your stuck with a wife that won't perform and is boring causing you stress and unhappiness since corporations are people now.
That's my opinion. We could be looking at a dual core upgraded n950 or n9 successor with maybe even a belle version choice with pureview tech, carrier friendly and all and cross platform qt apps flowing.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Basically the only thing missing is a huge apps catalog, which they could have easily made themselves with the 4,000 or so Symbian guys they had. You know, keeping them fulltime, but asking them to make apps for MeeGo instead of wasting time with Symbian (maybe some nice bonuses for teams making good apps..). Within months there would have been 10s of thousands of quality apps.
I agree. Would that have been enough to take Nokia to the number 1 spot again? Probably not immediately, but it would have given them a great fighting chance. Maemo/Meego was, and is, the best mobile OS in existence. It had/has the best interface in that it managed to make multitasking simple and intuitive. The basic applications where in place. and they were fine to use. Where there gaps? Sure. But those would not have been hard to fill if Nokia had shown themselves to be serious about the platform. Instead, they sold out and ended up with a gutted company.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
I must say, talk.maemo.org users have certainly less idiots compared to other forums and I mean no sarcasm. We are really having sensible, adult-like argument here. Anyhow, shareholders suing Nokia management is not a good choice, what they really need is to let the board of directors know that Elop is like Nick Leeson, the guy who bankcrupted the Baring Banks. Unless action is taken, expect the company to be engulfed by Microsoft.

As much as I like windows, the windows phone is one of the worst, least-user-friendliness, most difficult... and this reply will reach its limit before I finished what I hate about it. I mean, even if you compared Symbian S60 from 2000, it is still a lot better than it. Symbian Belle shows that Symbian is working, coming back, changing. Meego breathes a new life to the OS-es. Still, he failed to recognise, or rather, do not want to acknowledge these facts.

But, if this lawsuit is what it takes to change Nokia, by all means, go ahead. Although, I would rather they do it the more peaceful way.

Originally Posted by JethroSang View Post
I must say, talk.maemo.org users have certainly less idiots compared to other forums and I mean no sarcasm. We are really having sensible, adult-like argument here.
Somebody obviously hasn't seen the Whatsapp thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sazpaimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Surreptitious View Post
Without meaning to be inflammatory, what's the difference between a calculated risk and what you've described as uncertainty?
I guess the best way to describe it is by explaining the concept of fractals. Imagine a 2D drawing of a house. Now, let's pick a shape. Perhaps a triangle. You wouldn't be able to draw that house using 1 triangle, yet using a thousand small triangles, you would be able to construct the shape of the house.

This may sound weird, but it shows that in business, any outcome (represented in my example as the house) is made up of a heap of events (the small triangles). Therefore, not based on luck, which means, not based on risk

Often we don't know the little triangles (lack of information), and are therefore uncertain as to what will happen

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dared For This Useful Post: