hello all,

I recently got my n900 and absolutely love it. I've had a HTC with winmo 6.1 for over a year, and am so glad to get rid of it.

With my winmo, i used a sofware called mymobiler, which allowed me to remote control my HTC from my PC. this was great, because at my workplace, msn is blocked, so this was great for me to use my htc for msn, using the phones 3G service.

I was wondering, is there a similar solution, a novice like me can understand and apply? I've read a few threads about SSH, telnet, etc. and I really do not understand it at all

I had a stab at trying to VNC from my n900 to my laptop, by giving my n900 a static IP, but still no joy.

If anyone can help please? anything like mymobiler would be PERFECT http://www.mymobiler.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to ironpalmstrike For This Useful Post:
just install vnc viewer from maemo select on n900.

Install vnc server on your pc.

- encryption off
- firewall off (or allowed)
- when using a Router open the port (portforwarding)
- start the test see if it works
- enter the lan address in vnc viewer on n900 when your on the same lan with the N900 or enter the 'before-router' address.

offtopic: little fairytail: there once were a few pirates who were looking for a treasure containing Very Nice Coins. they stumbled onto a bay which they called after their own profession. if you look hard enough, you might find the treasure yourself someday.........

The Following User Says Thank You to Devil For This Useful Post:
ok, i managed to go one step further, it now connects i think, because it asks me for password.

but no matter what i set the vnc password, or remove authentication completely, the password wont work from my n900...

i really need something the other way round tho... something where i can control my n900 from my laptop...

sorry í misread your post. AFAIK there is no such app yet.

Originally Posted by Devil View Post
sorry í misread your post. AFAIK there is no such app yet.
no worries, thanks for replying

You can use x11vnc from the extras-devel repository to set up a VNC server on your N900.
Then install VNC viewer to your desktop pc and connect. Works fine here (though a bit slow, speed improves when you turn the wifi powermanagement down)

Warning for installing apps from extras-devel: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32676

Originally Posted by SanderB View Post
You can use x11vnc from the extras-devel repository to set up a VNC server on your N900.
Hi there, thanks for helping

I dont really understand what you said as I am a novice, but I am guessing, if I follow here, i'll be ok?:

http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/#downloading

thanks

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by ironpalmstrike View Post
I dont really understand what you said as I am a novice, but I am guessing, if I follow here, i'll be ok?
If you don't understand what he's saying (you definitely didn't), it can be bad idea to install software from extras-devel, since that's software that is under development and might lead to problems.

Still I don't think there has been any working solution in this thread. Problem is that MSN is blocked in their office network. Getting your phone on that same wifi won't make any difference.

I guess the mentioned HTC software is quite similar to PC Suite, and can show the phone screen on PC monitor.

Originally Posted by naabi View Post
If you don't understand what he's saying (you definitely didn't), it can be bad idea to install software from extras-devel, since that's software that is under development and might lead to problems.

Still I don't think there has been any working solution in this thread. Problem is that MSN is blocked in their office network. Getting your phone on that same wifi won't make any difference.

I guess the mentioned HTC software is quite similar to PC Suite, and can show the phone screen on PC monitor.
I wont touch that solution then , i might mess up my n900!

How do I view the phone on my PC suite then?

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Tennessee, USA
When you say "view," what do you mean, exactly? Do you want to move files back and forth, or do you want to bring your N900 interface across to your PC?

If you're trying to bring the interface across to your PC, then the VNC option will be about all there is right now. If you simply want to movie files around then you have a couple of options; one is simple - just use the file manager on the PC suite. The other option is to set up SSH on both your computer and your N900. It's not difficult, but transferring files back and forth that way makes heavy use of terminal commands unless you want to automate that kind of thing with a bash script. It's handy to have in the event that you don't have your USB cable or the PC Suite installed.