Notices

Is the photon search out of order? I tried to find a german city in mixed mode but there was no result. Offline works, digitransit works too. But switching to photon fails.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
Is the photon search out of order? I tried to find a german city in mixed mode but there was no result. Offline works, digitransit works too. But switching to photon fails.
Looks like their service is down now. I hope it will come back sometime. We can also use OpenCage meanwhile (no autocomplete though)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Looks like photon is back again. Corresponding issue: https://github.com/komoot/photon/issues/443

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
Is there a possibility/plan/whatever to use semi-transparent overlays? There are some map sources that show only one kind of information -- hillshade, light pollution, traffic; such maps are much less useful without "general" map background.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by briest View Post
Is there a possibility/plan/whatever to use semi-transparent overlays? There are some map sources that show only one kind of information -- hillshade, light pollution, traffic; such maps are much less useful without "general" map background.
Yes, it is possible. Mapbox GL does allow you to combine data sources and render them accordingly. However, as always, there is a catch. Someone has to look into how to do it and implement corresponding map source description. Every time similar issue has been raised, it has failed to bring new developer/concerned user on board to make it happen.

In general, Pure Maps base (Poor Maps) was written in a way allowing to make new plugins easily. So, it does not have to be me to do that.

My personal plan is first to fix collectd bugs/"features" exposed by my SFOS port to XZ2/XZ3/XZ2c, maybe update SystemDataScope internals a bit, fix public transport import for OSM Scout Server, rewrite navigation in Pure Maps. This sprinkled with discovered need-to-be-fixed bugs, possibly required small adjustments for XZ2compact in SFOS port, and something else not expected now, will keep me busy for some time.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
While navigating on the N307, it occurred to me that the distance to the next waypoint/instruction seems to the absolute distance, and not the actual distance left to drive. I've also seen the distance increase when exiting the highway on a cloverleaf interchange. Is it a bug? Intended feature? Hard to implement?

When driving in less familiar places, I tend to completely lose my bearing and my whereabouts, and thus become completely dependent on navigation alone. Especially in the dark or when overcast clouds. The compass helps a bit of course. A more zoomed-out map, with fixed north position, also helps but then you lose the overview of the next upcoming directions.

So, perhaps a split screen or picture-in-picture option is a way to improve this? One section zoomed-in, orientation follows driving direction, other section zoomed-out, fixed orientation, showing the start/end point. Or something. The Sony X10 with its 21:9 display would actually be ideal for once, I recon.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
I am currently working on Flatpak support for SFOS and would like to get it over the line for distribution. Then have to polish a bit XZ2/3 port as there are few issues with it. So, further development of Pure Maps will have to wait a bit, probably ~month.

However, there is a plan to rewrite navigation handling which should resolve some of the issues, possibly distance increase that you observed. Idea is in the head, just will have to write it down and test it.

As for zoomed out map - not sure. We do have rather small devices. Try to make a screenshot on Pure Maps, then one with zoomed out map, gimp it together and put on your car phone location. How much would you see in it?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I have a new device and finally got enough space to download offline maps and enjoy the speed limit display. Really useful. I would love to have an option to enable an audio notification when the current speed exceeds the documented limit though, that would be really useful and would probably help focusing more on the road when in doubt. Just a suggestion, but please, bring us Flatpak first, that'd be perfectly alright to wait.

I hope OSM will update their speed limit data soon, because speed limits have changed for thousands of roads in France lately, and OSM limits are outdated; but it's not actually related to Pure Maps.

Apart from that, I wanted to thank you again for this amazing app that really is much more than just "finally a decent SFOS maps app", it is actually my favorite maps app regardless of the OS. The main things I miss are alternate routes selection and better address or keyword (i.e., store name) search, but I know it is tied to the services being used under the hood, and Pure Maps has plenty of other strengths.

And thank you for your work for the SFOS community in general, with ports and other development milestones.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
I will start new import for OSM Scout Server maps tonight.

As for sound notifications, not sure how to do that. In other software its frequently played when going over the limit by given number km/h, Should it play once, several times, once in few minutes? Think it through and file an issue at Pure Maps repository.

Re routes: don't think its supported yet by Valhalla

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
No no no no... No sound notifications for speed limit! No! - OK?

(if, then option to mute it!)

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post: