My missus N97 has developed a weird problem.

The screen is fine on everything else but gives a scrambled look when going on the web.

Picture 1

Name:  pic000004.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  54.7 KB

Picture 2

Name:  pic000005.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  61.4 KB

It should look like this, this was a screen shot i took with a screenshot app on the phone itself

Name:  Scr000003.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  19.9 KB

It just happened over night

Any ideas anyone?

That's truely bizarre.It looks like it has scan the lines from an old poorly tuned analogue TV? Is that 1st showing the screen rolling up?

There are the obvious things to check first, I guess...

What or when was the last app that was downloaded? It maybe that it is conflicting with the browser and would need to unistall it.

Was their any browser specifc updates installed recenlty? (I'm not sure how this could be rolled back)

What is intersting though is the fact that the browser is launching and connecting. Maybe the is an error with the way the browser intercts with the accelorometer? Could it be trying to turn the screen when in the horizontal position?

Maybe you could try turning that off and launching the browser?

Only guessing with this. Hope it helps

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
n97?
hmm what was that??
aa yes that horrible phone i throwed out the window.....

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

used to have a n97 but never happened to me.. maybe its a LCD problem or try to reflash it...

Originally Posted by atilla View Post
n97?
hmm what was that??
aa yes that horrible phone i throwed out the window.....
That's very helpfull thanks.

Originally Posted by jipee296 View Post
used to have a n97 but never happened to me.. maybe its a LCD problem or try to reflash it...
Nope LCD is fine and i think a reflash would be a very very last resort.

Last edited by Bazza; 2010-09-26 at 18:17.

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
That's truely bizarre.It looks like it has scan the lines from an old poorly tuned analogue TV? Is that 1st showing the screen rolling up?

There are the obvious things to check first, I guess...

What or when was the last app that was downloaded? It maybe that it is conflicting with the browser and would need to unistall it.

Nope this is my missus phone we are talking about.

Was their any browser specifc updates installed recenlty? (I'm not sure how this could be rolled back)

What is intersting though is the fact that the browser is launching and connecting. Maybe the is an error with the way the browser intercts with the accelorometer? Could it be trying to turn the screen when in the horizontal position?

Not sure, doubt it though

Maybe you could try turning that off and launching the browser?

Good shout

Only guessing with this. Hope it helps
Thanks for your help.

It has now started to do it when using the camera if i move the camera around with the different lighting filtering through the display it seems to do it more. it is not a loose connection (because i can point it in one direction and tap the phone and it stays steady) and i have turned the sensors off and it still does it.

Does this give any more ideas what it could be?

Last edited by Bazza; 2010-09-28 at 17:24.

UPDATE

Dropped phone off this morning and collected it this evening.

The problem was.........wait for it....

a faulty screen slide mechanism.

How the hell does that corrupt the screen graphics???

all seems fine and dandy now i'm back in the missus good books (because i recommended the phone to her) oops

Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
the drop must have damaged the ribbon that connects the mobo to the lcd. or the green rubber thing behind the lcd just got misaligned.

Originally Posted by shockgiga View Post
the drop must have damaged the ribbon that connects the mobo to the lcd. or the green rubber thing behind the lcd just got misaligned.
The phone hadn't been dropped or abused.

When i said 'dropped off' i meant i walked into my local nokia center and handed the faulty phone over the counter and booked it in for repair.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
I suspect more probably they either backed up everything and reflashed the firmware, or simply upgraded to a newer one (which if memory serves doesn't erase user files, settings, or programs)

The pictures absolutely rule out any kind of 'ribbon' or hardware fault. I'd say it is definitely software related and probably the nokia technician was not quite telling the truth.