Active Topics

Dear Forum
on a bike trip, I managed to press a piece of metal into the screen such that it left two sort of dents of about 1 cm length. The problem comes with using the virtual keyboard: the 's' only works, if I touch it in the upper left corner. This is not a showstopper but also not too nice.

Does someone have an idea how to remedy the situation?

thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
part number 040-059762

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...only-no-LCD%29

seems to be not many places that sell it though.
if the lcd is broken too, u might want to try purchasing a broken n900 from someone that dropped theirs in water or something like that. maybe the screen is not damaged in that case.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
part number 040-059762

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...only-no-LCD%29

seems to be not many places that sell it though.
if the lcd is broken too, u might want to try purchasing a broken n900 from someone that dropped theirs in water or something like that. maybe the screen is not damaged in that case.
Thanks for the pointer. Given the symptoms, would you think that only the digitizer is affected and not the display?

ps. just ran healthcheck. When I move the cursor across these two pressed in scratches the coordinates still change smoothly. This would indicate that the digitizer is not affected???? This does not fit the picture that when pressing the virtual key "s" I get in most parts a "d"

pps. now I had a closer look at the N900: when pressing the "s" virtual key the "s" shows up in light blue in the text field about. When I then release the key the olor blue should change into black and the cursor move on one character to the right, that would be the normal behaviour.
However here when releasing the virtual "s" key the blue s changes into a "d" instead???? What is this?

Last edited by tredlie; 2010-09-06 at 08:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to tredlie For This Useful Post:
Your digitizer is damaged. The dent makes the digitizer see a false press when you remove the pen/finger, which means the digitizer reports a quick move from the correct location and to a neighbour character.

While you press on the screen, you "win", but as soon as you release the pressure the digitizer detects an incorrect coordinate.

This is similar to what happens if you press with one finger on the display while drawing with another finger. The cursor will jump and the N900 will create some form of "composite" position since it doesn't support multiple tracking points.

The Following User Says Thank You to pwm For This Useful Post: