Active Topics

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
A buggy media player means your music might not play or it stops playing. Hardly a big deal.

A buggy contact or calendar sync means your phone doesn't get the contacts synced, you miss meetings or you get duplicated meetings or as I've had, the meeting you entered into your Mac gets synced to your Jolla and then your Jolla decides to delete it on both your Jolla and your Mac. It's just not acceptable to have critical issues like this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
Excuse me if I sound very stupid, but is there any way we can have a TOH that can increase the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB? Is it possible at all?
No. The interface is too slow.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
Excuse me if I sound very stupid, but is there any way we can have a TOH that can increase the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB? Is it possible at all?
Wait for Jolla2 phone, it should have at least 2GB I reckon.

Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Hmm can you increase Ram with SWAP?

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Stop comparing jolla to first iPhone and Android. When they were released they maybe did not have all features, but they did not have competitors(alternatives) as they were first smartphones as you know them now. With jolla it's different as there are mature alternatives and Jolla doesn't have something really "unlike" to offer. They run linux but not really opensource or have open development. Btw does the shop runs on non-jolla HW(nexus and etc), if not than you can compare it to Google services Though I do not like Google myself, there are more open-flashable devices and free of Google services and even opensource ROMs.
So if you compare, do it properly. One thing Jolla has advantage is currently best Qt support and real Linux, that's it.
All this "unlike" UI looks maybe not bad but has not best UX, and even if you tell me that it's matter of taste, why would jolla constantly want to change it(changes with sail2.0) and I mean not expanding but redesigning.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
One thing Jolla has advantage is currently best Qt support and real Linux, that's it.
And that's enough for me to place them at the top of my list.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
And that's enough for me to place them at the top of my list.
You can use tizen, Ubuntu phone, n900 and others who are more hackable and open.
You can run as well chrooted linux if not real dualboot on android. Linux is Linux, which is OS, but phone is a tool and not a game to compile kernel. I do use myself gentoo and like freedom and the ability to compile own kernel and have own settings and env, but it doesn't mean I would prefer computer I can compile but can't use it as computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Stop comparing jolla to first iPhone and Android.
Never understood what was so special on the first Iphone Palm Treos were earlier and had also a Touchscreen. The only thing what was different was the lack of a physical keyboard. And this horrible Layout won, unfortunately!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
You can use tizen, Ubuntu phone, n900 and others who are more hackable and open.
Yeah, I've been using n900, and looking at Tizen & Ubuntu. But I'm kinda sick of the whole "Cellphone as Media Player plus Game Console" that the world has been turning into...

You can run as well chrooted linux if not real dualboot on android.
But why bother with the hassle (and the warantee-voiding implications) when you can get a fully supported standard Linux distribution instead?

but phone is a tool and not a game to compile kernel.
Exactly. Which is why I'm finally getting off of the stupid "smartphone" merry-go-round myself. The smartest phone today is one that handles telephony alone; everything else is just a crass attempt to dig more dollars out of your wallet for no significant value in return.

The Jolla tablet is arriving just in time for me to shift all my mobile computing materials onto a handy non-phone portable device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
The only thing what was different was the lack of a physical keyboard.
Well, there was that. There was also a leader with a specific vision for how to design a user-friendly product, leading a huge team of highly qualified software engineers, and having the willingness to spend years of time and boatloads of cash to get it right.

Steve Jobs' design philosophy may not have been one that appealed to all customers (it certainly doesn't to me), but he had the will and the means to create the device that matched his ideal. The iPhone is, to a great extent, the ideal form of one man's vision of what a phone should be. And you've gotta give it props for that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: