Notices

Originally Posted by frethop View Post
Thanks, BrentDC. I told you the code was old!

I installed maemochron with no changes. I think the version of maemochron on garage must be old; mine is more updated (uses python 2.5, for instance).

I have attached my version below.
Ah, yes. The deb description on that one says "Patched by Benoit HERVIER to support pymaemo2.5". It seems like Mr. HERVIER just repackaged it up w/ newer dependencies because the Color Chooser Menu item still doesn't work.

I wonder if there is something that could be done to make it use less cpu%? I could probably patch it to work with the (apparently) new hildon color chooser api, but optimizing is beyond my ability...

Python gurus?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
On the CPU usage front, see some of the hints for Flip Clock on minimising battery & CPU usage:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25582

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Very nice, but no flip clock!

Ciroip has been developing a great looking Flip Clock at the following ITT thread: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25582

The "moods" version makes the best use of the N810's LED that I've seen! I never knew it could generate so many colours!!

Ciroip is very open to feedback and improvements.

Definitely worth a look!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
So what is wrong with developing flash apps on the tablet?

I ask this because this thread appears to have veered off the original topic.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-02-18 at 01:02.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
So what is wrong with developing flash apps on the tablet?

I ask this because this thread appears to have veered off the original topic.
Flash apps need to have an additional application open (usually the browser) and tend to suck an unholy amount of cpu cycles. Then again, an inefficiently coded Python program can to, but...

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Ok after searching the forum I am still banging my head against a wall...

How do I launch a .swf so that it does not generate a browser page of garbage?

Xterm / Personal Menu / Dbl click from file manager... all result in same page of garbage.

Any and all help is appreciated

Ok I just noticed that I do not have any browser components installed....where do I get the flash player/component?

Thanks

Matt

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Flash apps need to have an additional application open (usually the browser) and tend to suck an unholy amount of cpu cycles. Then again, an inefficiently coded Python program can to, but...
I'm not seeing it so much... With no connection and a few screen applets running Hildon -Desktop accounts for about a 3% load. I also see Xomap @ about 1% and nothing else is active.

Now when I open the flash I linked to earlier (>> Clicky <<), Xomap jumps to 3% and Browserd opens @ 2-5% load. Shortly there after Xomap settles back down to 1% for a net increase of about 2 to 8%.

Not so much as to forsake a whole class of ready made apps... We do call it an Internet Tablet after all.

To Snoshrk.
... on a Tablet running MicroB on Diablo (default browser and current OS) a file with the SWF (flash) extension should open in the Web Browser when you tap on it from the tablets File Manager...

If the file has the right extension, I believe Diablo will give it a round 'f' icon in File Manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I'm not seeing it so much... With no connection and a few screen applets running Hildon -Desktop accounts for about a 3% load. I also see Xomap @ about 1% and nothing else is active.

Now when I open the flash I linked to earlier (>> Clicky <<), Xomap jumps to 3% and Browserd opens @ 2-5% load. Shortly there after Xomap settles back down to 1% for a net increase of about 2 to 8%.

Not so much as to forsake a whole class of ready made apps... We do call it an Internet Tablet after all.
How are you testing? Via "Top"? I say this because my load-applet shows between 2-3 (out of 4) bars of cpu usage while that specific Flash app is open. Once you switch away from it, to another application (say, X-Term w/ Top running?), the cpu usage goes way down. But that isn't a valid indication for obvious reasons.

To get a *real* reading, try ssh'ing into your tablet and see the cpu usage while the flash app is the toplevel window

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
How are you testing? Via "Top"? I say this because my load-applet shows between 2-3 (out of 4) bars of cpu usage while that specific Flash app is open. Once you switch away from it, to another application (say, X-Term w/ Top running?), the cpu usage goes way down. But that isn't a valid indication for obvious reasons.

To get a *real* reading, try ssh'ing into your tablet and see the cpu usage while the flash app is the toplevel window

Nope, my "real" reading is open the flash app from file manager, minimize it, use the tablet like I normally do including web browsing, e-mail, maemo-mapper, music, etc. and resizing the minimized flash window and in this case, check the time... every now and then.

I see no slow downs what so ever and never had using flash this way. This is what prompted my question. I have experienced major slow downs, crashes, and forced re-flashes when using early versions of various, purpose built, tablet apps though.

... and the crazy thing is, these other apps are usually an attempt to do what the flash app does better anyway.

I will attempt to attach a calculator flash app to this post. It, IMHO does a much better job as a simple touch screen calculator than the program that ships with Maemo. (Change the .ZIP extention to .SWF to run as flash.)

For the Load percentages I quoted earlier, I use load-applet v. 0.8.3 running full time in the status bar.

BTW, where are these "bars" you speak of?
Attached Files
File Type: zip calculator.ZIP (6.2 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-02-19 at 01:30.

Also... I will concede that start-up times take a hit when running flash for all the reasons you listed earlier. But once the thing is up and running, I have never noticed any CPU clock "drag" or slow down.