Notices

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Italy
Today ID released the DOOM3 source code under GPL licence, any chance to get it running on N900?
https://github.com/TTimo/doom3.gpl

The Following User Says Thank You to blackjack4it For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 227 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Turkey
I don't think that N9/900 hardware is capable of running Doom 3 even on the lowest settings, I think even Quake III runs a bit laggy on N900, well, looks like it's just a dream.
Maintaining: Audelicious | xmp

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aranel For This Useful Post:
most likely: no

The GPU will probably will not be fast enough, and also Doom 3 most likely isn't designed to run on OpenGL ES 2.0 but on Desktop OpenGL, that isn't supported on N900.
Porting a desktop OpenGL application to OpenGl ES 2.0 can be challenging.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
And the most important stuff: FPS are not designed to be played on gamepads, touch controls, or accelerometers. Mouse +kbd ftw.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Porting a desktop OpenGL application to OpenGl ES 2.0 can be challenging.
Porting OpenGL to OpenGL ES 1.1 is easier as to ES 2.0. Note that both versions are supported on Nokia N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
And the most important stuff: FPS are not designed to be played on gamepads, touch controls, or accelerometers. Mouse +kbd ftw.
Well... usb host mode ftw!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 95 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Massachusetts
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
There are so many different types of FPS on every system. Some are exclusively designed based on the device touchscreen or motion feature. What you meant to say is Doom 3 not FPS. But if you meant that as a joke then okay, but it's hard to detect sarcasm unless you actually mention that it is.

Anyway, I hope to see Doom 3 possible on Maemo or MeeGo Harmattan whether it's a traditional game installation or through a cloud service on out web browsers (made possible by HTML5). I mean imagine being able to play Doom 3 on the go.. local and online multiplayer. That would be freaking HOT

// Roth

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
There are so many different types of FPS on every system. Some are exclusively designed based on the device touchscreen or motion feature. What you meant to say is Doom 3 not FPS. But if you meant that as a joke then okay, but it's hard to detect sarcasm unless you actually mention that it is.

Anyway, I hope to see Doom 3 possible on Maemo or MeeGo Harmattan whether it's a traditional game installation or through a cloud service on out web browsers (made possible by HTML5). I mean imagine being able to play Doom 3 on the go.. local and online multiplayer. That would be freaking HOT

// Roth
Flashplayer11 would handle it no probs... Not that that's going to help for 'on the go' scenarios.... Pah...

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland, Białystok
Great to hear they release the code ^^

Porting it to n900? Why even bother?
Let's just ask ourselves who really needs an first person shooter on a mobile gaming device with only qwerty keyboard and touch screen(even if it was multitouch - meh)? I love quake series and I installed openarena on my n900 and... well I was amused for 5 minutes and then I removed it. Why? Bad, horrible, terrible controls.
So what's the point?

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
tv out and a ps3 controller...