I am trying to take my first step into IT programming by not programming the whole GUI (Using Qt).

I was trying to compile the application for the Windows PC first, just to see the results.

I have not gotten it to compile though, mainly because nothing I could find was clear.

Most tutorials say type "qmake" into the command console. That OBVIOUSLY does not work without some previous steps... Can anyone help me out?

I have tried copying the qmake.exe into the folder with my project, and it outputs a Makefile. What should I do with that? Typing "make" does nothing.

Step 1: Install coLinux.
Step 2: Log in to your new Linux box (while you're running windows).

I imagine you need to get quite a few tools to compile qt apps directly in windows (if it's possible, I'm not sure). cygwin might be an alternative.

Try using one of those search engine thingies and find pages about "qt build windows" or "qt cygwin" etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andreww For This Useful Post:
Ok, thanks

The coLinux will come in handy. I will try that out.

QT has a windows port.. I've just never used it. Only ever dealt with the Linux side as andreww is suggesting.

http://trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/windows
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I actually got that version. I just don't get how to use MinGW...

qmake -o Makefile myfile.pro
make

Should be the procedure IIRC

"make" is not defined when I do that. I actually got it to work by copying everything in the MingW bin folder to my project folder, and running "ming32-make".

Well.. having never used it I'll plaguerize this guy:

http://cniehaus.livejournal.com/47428.html
Usually I just install the binaries from Trolltech's website ( http://trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/windows ), and compile with their setup. There's a "Qt Shell" thing which is just cmd.exe with variables set. You can then run qmake and make as usual (they install MinGW for you). Distribute the binary with the relevant Qt dlls and the MinGW dll (I just copy them over from the bin dir of the Qt install), and it all Just Works from my (rather limited) experience.

windows is horrible as a qt dev platform. you can use qt along with ms visual studio, but you would have to pay for it.

just use linux, much easier.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ the praeternatural tower
On the other hand, I've manage to easily develop some Qt apps on Windows ... by programming in Python using PyQt. With the free open source version.