Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Just been playing with my laptop, Centos 5.3 with compiz and xwinwrap. Playing videos as the desktop, or screensavers, with xwinwrap and spinning the desktops with compiz.

Man I love linux
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Me too... Linux is the thinking person's OS.

Mac for the hip, Windows for the normal, Linux for the smart.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
After a while, you care less about the OS. So much is in the could these days that it does not really matter. Give me any OS and I could feel comfortable.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Just been playing with my laptop, Centos 5.3 with compiz and xwinwrap. Playing videos as the desktop, or screensavers, with xwinwrap and spinning the desktops with compiz.
How fast is your machine? I tried xwinwrap some time ago and it was a real pain (slow, resources-hungry, constantly freezing my pc) on an athlon 64 2.4Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram, Geforce 6 6200 with Intrepid Ibex (ok, maybe my PC is now obsolete, but it's completely capable of doing what I need it for...)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by qole View Post

Sadly, there is no such thing as a universal "smart".

There are a lot of people that one could consider smart that go with windows or mac so as to avoid the sysadmin "hassle" of linux.

with those two os's they can either make an appointment at the "genius bar" (mac) or grab a friend/relative/resident sysadmin at work (windows) and have them look at the problem and come back with a fix while the "smart" person gets on with working on their focused area of interest/knowledge...

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Penguinbait, Qole,

You should probably stop loving Linux, you know, it's just a software ....
Please, just use it ...

... and keep love for people in the "normal", in the "hipe" and in the "smart" category ...

Ok, i'm already gone ... (with my beloved MacBookPro 13")

Windows for the normal
Mac for the creative & epicurian
Linux for the paranoïd & frustrated, socially disabled ...

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by qole View Post

Wow, what does it mean that my Mac is running Windows and Linux?

Am I a smart, normal, hipster?

Tim

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Hahaha, it means that either you have some serious personality dissociation problems ...

... Or simply that you're a free mind who avoid to belong to any church and won't let anybody or any group tells you what you should think.

qole, we all know you can do better than that. Give the desktop OS's the same treatment you gave the mobile OS's. Don't make us beg and feel free to be very long winded.

Here's a link if you need a reminder.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Sadly, there is no such thing as a universal "smart".

There are a lot of people that one could consider smart that go with windows or mac so as to avoid the sysadmin "hassle" of linux.

with those two os's they can either make an appointment at the "genius bar" (mac) or grab a friend/relative/resident sysadmin at work (windows) and have them look at the problem and come back with a fix while the "smart" person gets on with working on their focused area of interest/knowledge...

Isn't it awesome that you can just do it yourself, all you have to do is read and google you can do anything you want.

I have been using windows for a lot longer than linux (which I have been using 12 years) I do not know VB or any programming language.

I made a shell script to replace my background with to be black, start xwinwrap playing on the desktop the video from "Grateful Dead: The closing of Winterland", it also fires up xine playing gdradio. When I close xine, desktop goes back to normal pictures and stops xwinwrap. I did this in about 10 minutes and had it working great.

You call it "sysadmin "hassle"" I call it control, and I like it.

You have the same sysadmin tasks under windows, they are just not intuitive and most people have no idea how to use them. Why should I defragment my hard drive? I plugged in a usb had drive how do I use it? What is c:? What is boot.ini What is spyware?

In twelve years of using linux I hve had 1 machine get hacked and root kit placed through a ftp exploit. In that same amount of time I have fixed hundreds of windows systems loaded with spyware and trojans.

I see there are many more sysadmin hassles on windows, once you know how to use both OS's.

As for Mac's bah, give me one, I will load linux on it. I also don't want a Prius or an Iphone. I want to be cool not hip
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-06-20 at 17:25.