Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
The next thing for NOKIA n900 users is a jump from the tallest bridge.

Originally Posted by Darkshine View Post
...As I said, what really gets me is the multitasking - I often have multiple e-mails, sms, websites, etc. open and I reference between them when writing out a reply....
How do you actually have mutlipe e-mails open on the n900? Was trying to do that, no success so far...

The Following User Says Thank You to jhb For This Useful Post:
What's next for N900 users?

The accomplishment of properly porting the C++/Qt/QML framework to Honeycomb and Gingerbread then purchasing a high-end Android device from another OEM which is easily customizable and has no locked bootloader.

No offence.

Originally Posted by JD2010 View Post
Do you have brands suggestion?
Yeah Samsung is currently on the top of the list. HTC and Motorola (if unlocked) are next in-line. Followed by LG and Sony/ASUS/Acer/Dell/ZTE which I wouldn't recommend as much unless the product is top-notch.

Last edited by Kangal; 2011-07-08 at 04:10.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Do you have brands suggestion?

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
I assume you mean the N9 is for the consumer mass market however if the phone is only going to be sold in a limited counties, I assume in limited numbers as well, how can it be for the "mass market"?

At the moment there is no evidence that Elop is going to allow the N9 to be sold in greater numbers than the N900? It seems the last thing he wants is for the phone to be a run away success selling in large numbers.
Well, perhaps it will be more available than we originally thought:

http://thehandheldblog.com/2011/07/06/nokia-n9-updates/

iPhone was also limited regionally at first

In any case N9 built like a brick to minimize user ability to screw up the hardware and production cost (hence no flip keyboard is my guess).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that people who are willing to spend $60 or so on a monthly plan for a smartphone are insane. When my N900 dies, along with the $15 or so a month plan I am paying for service now, I am going to find a cheap phone and cheap plan and focus on having fun when I'm in a free WiFi situation, like at my house. It is time to show the wireless providers that we are not suckers by not buying their products. Don't give them your money, it just encourages them! You actually don't need to flash your status in bars with a cool phone. Read Thorstein Veblen's work on "conspicuous consumption" and repent!

More seriously, I am looking at other prepaid plans like Virgin Mobile's $25 a month plan. I think that techs should take a principled stand against being ripped off.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think that people who are willing to spend $60 or so on a monthly plan for a smartphone are insane. When my N900 dies, along with the $15 or so a month plan I am paying for service now, I am going to find a cheap phone and cheap plan and focus on having fun when I'm in a free WiFi situation, like at my house. It is time to show the wireless providers that we are not suckers by not buying their products. Don't give them your money, it just encourages them! You actually don't need to flash your status in bars with a cool phone. Read Thorstein Veblen's work on "conspicuous consumption" and repent!

More seriously, I am looking at other prepaid plans like Virgin Mobile's $25 a month plan. I think that techs should take a principled stand against being ripped off.
Everything is relative...

Some people make money by being connected all the time, not everything is about fun n games (n status updates)

But yeah... everyone should vote with their money. Personally though, I think the best way to 'fight' a commercial entity is by making way for alternatives that jives more to what you believe in.

Speaking (or even shouting) what you think to change people's mind in this crowded and loud world doesn't work no more.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-07-08 at 03:44.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Seriously... what is next for N900 users? Been thinking about that since most of the active developers have N950's and have moved on to support the new hotness (read: Harmattan) and will probably drop their current environment(s) for Qt (if they haven't already) and the N900 will be further forgotten by Nokia and this community.

That's my guess. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
What's next for N900 users?

The accomplishment of properly porting the C++/Qt/QML framework to Honeycomb and Gingerbread then purchasing a high-end Android device from another OEM which is easily customizable and has no locked bootloader.

No offence.

Yeah Samsung is currently on the top of the list. HTC and Motorola (if unlocked) are next in-line. Followed by LG and Sony/ASUS/Acer/Dell/ZTE which I wouldn't recommend as much unless the product is top-notch.
Is that mean that you can, when unlock flash meego on those device? if this can be achieve we could then chose a device that would fit our need as Nokia try to do but on only by teasing us with the N950 not avalaible to public

Last edited by JD2010; 2011-07-08 at 12:00.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Seriously... what is next for N900 users? Been thinking about that since most of the active developers have N950's and have moved on to support the new hotness (read: Harmattan) and will probably drop their current environment(s) for Qt (if they haven't already) and the N900 will be further forgotten by Nokia and this community.

That's my guess. I'd love to be proven wrong.
The Nokia N900 will soon have Qt Quick Components, see here :
"Nokia Developer former Forum Nokia will provides a community port of components to Ubuntu Natty, Maemo5, and MeeGo 1.2."

So the Qt Quick softwares created to MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan will (have the potential to) also run on Maemo 5, MeeGo (non-Harmattan) and Ubuntu

Regards, Roberto

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post: