Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
--edit--
Since we can brighten up the pic on this bug report and notice the "MDFLD nCDK" appears to be just a screen attached to a gigantic circuit board, it seems like a really bad idea to claim the N9 will be exactly the same as anything we discover about the nCDK. I still think it's going to be similar, Nokia would probably supply the MeeGo guys with something similar to avoid any delays at the last minute, but who knows? Nokia could have another team working in parallel on this stuff and we could still be surprised.
Also, MeeGo OS isn't supposed to be ready until around May, so we will probably see the official announcement about a month before this, and the devices might actually show up about a month after.
--edit--

This specs list is based on bug reports, IRC logs, mailing lists, and test results gathered from PUBLIC places, so you can go verify it yourself, and add to the knowledge. We don't need any industry insiders or secret sources

You can debate the fact that these "reference devices" for MeeGo are not actual N9 prototypes, but surely you can agree that if Nokia intends to be releasing an N9 anytime soon, they must at least base the thing on some sort of prototype, and there is no reason the reference device cannot be the N9, just look at the Nexus S.

The device we are interested in is code named nCDK
There is another one called iCDK
If I had to guess I'd say it stands for Nokia / Intel customer device kit, but it doesn't make much sense to me because we also know the 'n' device is private, and the 'i' one is public. Ref
Probably this means a developer outside of nokia can get the iCDK hardware if they know who to ask, meanwhile the nCDK is the real N9 prototype. You will see nCDK has a version, EB# (engineering beta?) 1-3. This means they are changing the board and whatever else to try and get all the hardware working perfectly and at the correct specs. You also might see a revision for iCDK ES# (engineering sample). These are fairly new devices, only started testing them around Dec 1.
Hopefully that is enough to convince you that the nCDK specs are "interesting", here they are from what we found so far:

CPU: 1.6Ghz max speed. ATOM based but this is 3rd generation "medfield". You can see where we found the CPU speed here. This 1.6Ghz is likely the turbo mode. The CPU should also have hyperthreading but I don't think real multicore. It's still going to be way faster than anything else, go read about the platform and how fast and efficient it should be at the general links I put at the bottom. We also know that it's a Medfield device, and not just that the code happens to be compatible. Remember, they are working with Intel on this stuff and have access to pre-release silicon, and Intel is betting big on this too. They want ALL smartphones running their CPUs, eventually.
1) kernel-adaptation-medfield package shows up on these prototypes, but not the n900.
2) They call it the Medfield nCDK in several places. (or MFLD nCDK) (just search for more here)

Some people were trying to say that this might be a tablet. Well, first of all, it can make phone calls and do SMS, or I don't think it would be passing those results in the testing. Nor would they refer to it as a handset.

We can calculate the screen size to be approx. the same as n900 -- 1.8" by 3.4". Resolution is 864x480. PPI is pixels per inch so hopefully it's as easy as it looks to figure out. Source.

You can also see that it has a keyboard from that file. The 270 means the display rotates 3 times 90 degrees when you open it.

Video/3D is going to be some sort of GMA600 based architecture. It should offer great performance but it seems to be closed source It has HDMI support, but no way to guess if they will put the port on a phone.

Now, if you want to try and find some more interesting stuff, here is where I suggest to search:
mailing lists:
http://www.mail-archive.com/meego-de....com/info.html
http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/meego-kernel/
some easy to search ones here
full list here but cannot search

MeeGo Source
I don't know how to search this properly, I suggest use google (example)

These are just general articles on the Moorestown and Medfield platforms. Since there never were any Moorestown devices released yet, this is all we have
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...hone,2624.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3696/i...one-processor/

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-01-25 at 22:34.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
As far as RM-680 goes you can find quite a bit of info about it by just searching RM680 and people who are working around it like Santosh Shilimkar, Omar Ramirez(both working for TI) or Aaro Koskinen from Nokia.

I very much doubt the first MeeGo phone from Nokia will have any Intel chips inside(imo that would mean that RM-680 was scrapped), but who knows and as the device has not been announced yet so it's all up for discussion.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-01-21 at 21:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Hmm I don't think it's scrapped, it's possible they are desinging and testing it somewhere else out of the public eye though.
They are putting some test cases into git to detect the product ID RM680 and RM696.
also this

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-01-21 at 22:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
My take is that Nokia is working on lots of devices, some are prototypes, some are just engineering platforms to test different chips, different set-ups and so on. Especially regarding tablets, they will probably ship several different Intel based versions.

It just does not make sense to use anything but Intel on the N9 + platforms if they are going to run MeeGo. If the N9 use ARM, it will not run MeeGo, but will run Maemo/MeeGo/Harmattan. To do that will be totally wacko, something Nokia would do a year ago, but not today with Elop at the top floor.

ARM for dumb phones and Symbian phones, and Intel for MeeGo is the only thing that makes sense. But, Nokia is still Nokia, even with Elop, so who knows?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
since when did it run sim? qareports says SIMULATOR my guess is a tablet not n9. and btw who kniows if n9 even exists to me the leaked pictures just looks like a prototype of e7 who some blologgers still calls n9. my guess is also that atleast one of the planned meego/maeomo6 handsets is already kiilled iternally.

this threads about meego has actually got insane lattely. Please get the facts by following git repositorys etc. and you all well see meego will not be released before summer atleast. and all that talk about MWC I guess people here will start bashing like hell after 16 when they realise nokia will not realese anything.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-01-21 at 23:27.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
since when did it run sim? qareports says SIMULATOR my guess is a tablet not n9. and btw who kniows if n9 even exists to me the leaked pictures just looks like a prototype of e7 who some blologgers still calls n9. my guess is also that atleast one of the planned meego/maeomo6 handsets is already kiilled iternally.

this threads about meego has actually got insane lattely. Please get the facts by following git repositorys etc. and you all well see meego will not be released before summer atleast. and all that talk about MWC I guess people here will start bashing like hell after 16 when they realise nokia will not realese anything.
you are not helping things with your guesses that seem to be the complete opposite of the information presented. tablets don't have keyboards on the side, 4" screens, or make voice calls, and I never put any links to pictures or promised a release date. we know the nCDK device has a "c0" marking on it from some bug report, but its obviously not the one you can find online that is running symbian.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-01-21 at 23:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Another consideration is ST Ericsson U8500 (dual core ARM9 1.2 GHz) Nokia has already announced a device with this platform coming in 2011. Question is, will it run Symbian or will it run MeeGo ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ubl-vMLqw

If my memory serves me well, Maemo devices went by the serial RX, does anyone know if MeeGo's will be still RX or RM? Most RM's are Symbian devices.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

the ncdk device appears to feature interesting touch screen controller http://www.designnews.com/article/44...ler_mXT224.php

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to werebug For This Useful Post:
Yeah that's pretty unique, I've never heard of a capacitive touch screen that supports a (conductive/passive) stylus and has so many extra features:
Angle of touch, can be used to determine which hand is touching
Proximity Channel, can have a hover event when you're about to touch
It has a good chance of showing up on any Medfield-based final devices, at least. It's also used in the samsung galaxy tab and Samsung Wave.

ftp://86.62.106.38/upload/arguss_dvd...uch_mXT224.pdf

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2011-01-26 at 23:46.

Tags
armchairanalyst