Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
Test it on the slowest oldest. If there will be some hardware bug some time and your processors get 30% slower all of your hardware - old and new - will still perform.
I would've done just that but buying an old phone just for testing an hobby-project of mine seems a bit of overkill. (If the issues with older devices persited I probably would've bought one in order to fix it but fortunately it works now )

Last edited by jakibaki; 2018-03-13 at 14:55.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
I would've done just that but buying an old phone just for testing an hobby-project of mine seems a bit of overkill.
That seems to be a common attitude of all software developers.
Pity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Pity.
For real? Go and donate device for jakibaki if you want it to be tested on other devicel. WTF!!!

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
10chars...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to clovis86 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Pity.
Not beeing a software developer I anyway hope you ment this as a joke.

If not i'm wondering if your mum slapped you when you were a little boy and drew her a picture. And if she yelled at you, learn to paint properly if you want to make me presents.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
For real?
Yes, for real. I am not targeting bedroom developers like jakibaki but, for example, large, multi-milion-dollar companies like Canonical who assume everybody has huge screens and state-of-the-art CPUs that came out last week. And thus three quarters of dialog boxes do not fit on my screen and my PC does not boot after a kernel update because they turn some super-duper feature on by default.

If anyone is at least half serious about developing software, they really should be testing on more than one device. "It works for me" is just Not Good Enough™.

"More than one" = "at least two". More is better but if you have only two, then it makes perfect sense to make the second one the lowest spec you can find. Or include a disclaimer, "only works on 6GB deca-core or above, because I have not tested on anything smaller".

Yes, for real.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If you pay for software, I think you can justify your attitude. But getting it for free, I don't understand it. Doesn't matter if it's a bedroom developer or Canonical.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
So what? I do not buy any electronic crap every year. And it does not matter how fast it is...
Pity.
Jakibaki is developping a tool that may prove very useful to all of us Sailfish users, is being very active to answer testers in this thread, and according to his postcount, this tool is a significant part of his activity here. I bet we could welcome him a little better and be more grateful for his time, especially if it is assumed that he should buy extra devices just for testing his free non-profit project.

I don't want to appear naive, but I am a bit surprised by the hostility since he announced Prepatcher. Do we really want him to think "**** it." and abandon the project? He has an Xperia X and this is the device that made him work on Prepatcher, I think we could deal with it and still see it as a good addition to the SFOS ecosystem.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-03-13 at 16:01.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
My take on this is what you can already see in the thread topic;
[BETA] prepatch a system-wide patching system (alternative to patchmanager)

it's already announced as beta which to me means "please test it, work in progress"

When something is in beta, you don't expect it to work on all devices, in all conditions, everywhere.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Even as a hobbyist developer with more devices than I'd like to admit, I still think jakibaki did everything right – he disclosed that there was problem with start up time which he intended to fix ASAP – and he did.
Releasing not-quite-ready things (he marked it as BETA, that's right, caps) is a great way to share the load of testing different circumstances. Including devices.

So, yes, in this context of this thread, at this time, "works for me" is totally enough. Please don't discourage hobbyist developers by being not nice – even if you later clarify that you actually talked about someone else. Canonical doesn't have anything to do with this thread.

It helps as much as: "Look, I built a nice bobby car, perhaps you find it useful" – "Oh, thats Bad for getting anywhere!" - "Yeah, I don't have the means to hire testers" – "Yes, exactly, I hate when trains are delayed, because that's what you did. Anyone interested in transportation should build helicopters".

Back on topic.
@jakibaki: As others mentioned, I'd be so happy if you and coderus got together on this and pull on the same end of the rope. While it's a bit scary such a preloader is possible, I think it's totally awesome that you actually did it. Thank you.

TLDR: More love, please. Keep up the good work!

Edit: I took a while to write my rant, juiceme said about the same thing, shorter. cheers!
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:

Tags
patchmanager, prepatch, sailfish os