Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
Hello fellow 770 users. Feeling left out lately? I know I am. So far I've really begun to think that this great machine is forgotten by the community. So far the following software has been left off of the table (although promises have been made by some that the 770 would later be included) when it comes to software. Below are the ones I can think of. See if you can add anything to the list or let us know your thoughts:

KDE
Canola2
Maemo Mapper 2.2+
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
You can move to hacker edition and remove Skype, Maemo Mapper and maybe even Canola out of that list. KDE with 64MB RAM is IMO unreasonable.

Maybe you should change topic name to "OS2006 - the forgotten OS" :-)

And BTW you can get latest scummvm for OS2006 too ;-)

EDIT: but you can add new python release to your list
http://importluck.blogspot.com/2008/...4-15-01c3.html

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
You can move to hacker edition and remove Skype, Maemo Mapper and maybe even Canola out of that list. KDE with 64MB RAM is IMO unreasonable.

Maybe you should change topic name to "OS2006 - the forgotten OS" :-)

And BTW you can get latest scummvm for OS2006 too ;-)

EDIT: but you can add new python release to your list
http://importluck.blogspot.com/2008/...4-15-01c3.html
I do run OS2007HE. In my opinon, none of the apps above run without major configuration. I consider it major configuration because you have to at least have some knowledge of linux in order to make those apps run. Unfortunately, for the linux deficient (me), most of linux programming required to make these run is over my head.
BTW - Canola2 does not run on OS2007HE - "it's coming" according to them, but as of right now - we are once again left out on another newly release app.

If i would have the 770 I would install debian armel port

Last edited by kotzkind; 2008-01-18 at 15:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to kotzkind For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post
I do run OS2007HE. In my opinon, none of the apps above run without major configuration.
Oh I see. You are right. Both Skype and MM (or more correctly gpsd) need tweaking.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post
KDE
Canola2
Maemo Mapper 2.2+
I sympathize, but to be honest, I have no personal need for those apps. There are several media players available, mapping I don't need, and I use Google Talk instead of Skype...

770 - the forgotten tablet?? I don't feel that way at all.
I am using OS2006 on 770 on MMS, I have no big problem (other than the WSOD I had last month, but got my brand new replacement few day ago). Now I am using Orb to watch my cable TV on it, plus streaming the music, my webcam, movies and pictures from my computer, it is so good to have a 4 inch TV in your pocket all the time. I am also using Grandcental and Gimzo to make free call to landlines, planning to use it to call my girlfriend during my vacation when I am in Asian in 2 weeks. Browsing the Internet is Ok, but not perfect only because some web sites use a lot of pictures and flash 9. I have installed OS2007HE on flash for a few days for dual boot, it might be better . I also installed Xmamo to play the old NES games. and Canola 1 to watch movies, play music and pictures on my 2G MMS card. The more I use it, the more I love it. Now I am just afraid the battery doesn't last me long enough for the whole day use.

Last edited by racky; 2008-01-19 at 06:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Fanoush, Canola2 is not running on the 2007HE since there is no inotify in the old kernel (but it should be, because inotify was introduced in 2.6.13). Do you know anything about this?

Until we have inotify or the canola mediascanner uses some other method to scan, we won't have Canola2

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Fanoush, Canola2 is not running on the 2007HE since there is no inotify in the old kernel (but it should be, because inotify was introduced in 2.6.13). Do you know anything about this?
I don't know about this but inotify seems to be added only with 2.6.18
http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_1...df5e6c1588733b

EDIT:
Hmm but when reading about it, it is really since 2.6.13, the part in 2.6.18 is just kernel api (i.e .for usage inside kernel). Maybe it is just not enabled in 2.6.16 in stock 770 firmware.

EDIT2:
No inotify is enabled in 2.6.16 so this is really strange, even if there is something missing in userspace in OS2006 it should still be in 2007 HEsince it is basically copy of N800 firmware with few tweaks.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-01-17 at 21:14.

Originally Posted by racky View Post
770 - the forgotten tablet?? I don't feel that way at all.
I am using OS2006 on 770 on MMS, I have no big problem (oher than the WSOD I had last month, but got my brand new replacement few day ago). Now I am using Orb to watch my cable TV on it, plus streaming the music, my webcam, movies and pictures from my computer, it is so good to have a 4 inch TV in your pocket all the time. I am also using Grandcental and Gimzo to make free call to landlines, planning to use it to call my girlfriend during my vacation when I am in Asian in 2 weeks. Browsing the Internet is Ok, but not perfect only because some web sites use a lot of pictures and flash 9. I have installed OS2007HE on flash for a few days for dual boot, it might be better . I also installed Xmamo to play the old NES games. and Canola 1 to watch movies, play music and pictures on my 2G MMS card. The more I use it, the more I love it. Now I am just afraid the battery doesn't last me long enough from the whole day use.

I agree that the 770 is still an awsome device, but I have noticed that since the 800 has moved to the OS2008 along with the new 810, all of the NEW apps are geared toward those devices first, and it seems that the OS700HE users get promised that the apps will be compiled for our devices this is starting not to happen more and more. I understand that this is the nature of the beast and it's bound to happen just as it will happen one day with the 800 and 810 devices (we were also told that a version of OS2008 would be geared to the 770 and I haven't heard about any progress on that front either, so I'll add that to the list also).:

OS2008