Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Not to mention OpenPandora is not a 100% free handheld. For a start, it has closed OGLES drivers.
But of course you'll at least be able to boot it from battery with only free software.
The OpenPandora community working on a FOSS version of OGLES.

@ Luke-Jr: I will support this initiative for Maemo 100% FOSS.

The opening of the software should not be solely for technical and financial reasons: in this case, it benefits only for companies.

The opening must also be done for ethical and social reasons, so everyone benefits: companies, users, hackers, etc. ...

Last edited by korbé; 2009-10-03 at 12:56.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Not to mention OpenPandora is not a 100% free handheld. For a start, it has closed OGLES drivers.
But of course you'll at least be able to boot it from battery with only free software.
Same with the Touch Book.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
keesj: OpenMoko lacks a keyboard and decent specs. OpenPandora doesn't exist yet, and might never at its current rate.
And what do you miss in terms of features the N900?. What do you want to open?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
The OpenPandora community working on a FOSS version of OGLES.
Doubt it, but care to point me to an URL?

Doubt it, but care to point me to an URL?
Please wait, I search...

You mean http://forum.openhandhelds.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=341 ? But as you can read chances are dim, and even dimmer are chances of a free driver to be any better than the Imagination one.

Ah, you've been faster.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Brooksville, Florida
javispedro, as far as I've seen, OpenPandora has been promoting their product as 100% free, including GLES

Originally Posted by Luke-Jr View Post
javispedro, as far as I've seen, OpenPandora has been promoting their product as 100% free, including GLES
Well, I'd love to be corrected since that would mean we could most probably reuse them.
But as it stands, I'd say that if you've been looking for 100% free as in freedom hardware, look somewhere else. I wouldn't consider the Pandora guys interested in 100% free software/hardware more than "something that works OK and is hackable enough".

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Any completely open device is going to be a few generations out of date because hardware isn't released with open drivers. I'm willing to use closed-source drivers on my handheld because it means it can use the most cutting-edge hardware at a reasonable price due to economy of scale. On a desktop, 100% open is a more acceptable goal, but in the frenetically advancing tech of mobile devices, the compromise is just not something that is economically (market) viable.

Tags
alternatives, free software, mer, open source