Notices

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
If there is an interest in Midnight Commander for N9 I can try uploading to OpenRepos.
That would be great!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
[*]Use wrappers to add /usr/bin/gnu to PATH in order to use
diff from diffutils-gnu package - Thanks joerg_rw.[/list]
I actually have to advocate against this change. First, this is a problem in the environment, not in mc, and thus I think it is way more appropriate to deal with this problem in the environment, not in the mc package.

The default behavior is very flexible: It accepts whatever PATH the environment contains, which allows both users and tools to adjust their environment as needed/desired before invoking mc.

Yes, Maemo 5 by default has some brokenness to it (like a lack of 'diff'), but it is trivial for users to work around this on their own, e.g. with shell functions/aliases sourced from their ~/.bashrc or ~/.profile to do exactly what joerg's suggested wrapper script does, or to just add the gnu folder to their PATH for all their shells, etc.

The new behavior forces executables in /usr/bin/gnu to take precedence over whatever else the environment may have put in the path, possibly breaking various custom configurations.

What if I have a specific usecases that triggers an obscure bug in /usb/bin/gnu/$FOO but for which busybox's implementation of $FOO works fine? Or if I have a new and improved version of $FOO that I compiled sitting at /usr/local/bin/$FOO? Suddenly with this version I'm in mc, I run $FOO, and things don't work as I expect.

Now, if I want to get my preferred behavior back, I have to change a file controlled by a package as root user, which involves one of several ways of fighting against the package manager (with a dpkg diversion and replacing /usr/bin/mc, or manually editing the file after every update), whereas in the default behavior those who needed /usr/bin/gnu in their path could just edit a file that their shell sources at every run/login, to either modify the PATH variable globally, or to specifically modify it before only for invoking mc.

A better way would be to add /usr/bin/gnu to the end of the PATH, instead of the front, which would keep it from overriding anything. But that may still introduce tools into people's PATH that they wanted not in their PATH at all, for example - it's still taking a very flexible, de-facto-standard mechanism that empowers users to have their PATH be whatever they want, and adds rigidity without a real strong need.

In short, I don't think the loss of flexibility (and thus convenience/usability for some usecases) is worth the convenience gain, since those benefited by this could make their N900s behave how they want with very minimal effort.

P.S. Now, that all said, regardless of what you decide, keep up the good work, and thanks for maintaining this package for our phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I actually have to advocate against this change. First, this is a problem in the environment, not in mc, and thus I think it is way more appropriate to deal with this problem in the environment, not in the mc package.
The problem is that MC is hard-coded to use GNU-specific options of diff, which busybox does not support (see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=99).

So it's either GNU diff or it won't work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
The problem is that MC is hard-coded to use GNU-specific options of diff, which busybox does not support (see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=99).

So it's either GNU diff or it won't work.
That's fine, and good to know, but the core of my point is uneffected.

We're talking about breaking an extremely flexible and wide-spread convention to work around one specific executable not being available on stock N900s.

The issue you're trying to solve is 'if mc must use "diff", use the gnu-compatible one', but the solution you've picked is 'prefer anything and everything in /usr/bin/gnu/ to whatever else the user may have set their PATH up to be.'

Again, maybe I have a more recent version of GNU's , or some other drop-in-compatible-replacement-which-accepts-the-relevant-options, in, for example, /usr/local/bin, and my path is /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin/gnu:/usr/bin:/bin . Or maybe someone finds a security vulnerability in the mktemp currently packaged with the gnu utils package, so I compile it myself, and again, place it in /usr/local/bin, as is conventional.

If that's my situation, and I use mc through the example wrapper, you've just broken my PATH setup, and I shouldn't have to fight my file-manager-with-shell-prompt package about what my PATH is supposed to be while I use it.

Anyway, I am assuming that a shell function/alias won't work (because mc is its own binary that happens to run a shell on the side, not a shell itself, so it likely won't inherit/source those in any way).... But if we must expect a GNU-compatible diff, I'd recommend we rather have mc patched to invoke /usr/bin/gnu/diff directly, and not screw with people's PATHs. Functionally you still break for those who don't have it, so that's no different, but now you're not forcing the PATH to be something the user may not want.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
A better way would be to add /usr/bin/gnu to the end of the PATH, instead of the front, which would keep it from overriding anything.
That wouldn't work, busybox's diff symlink will still get preference.
But that may still introduce tools into people's PATH that they wanted not in their PATH at all, for example - it's still taking a very flexible, de-facto-standard mechanism that empowers users to have their PATH be whatever they want, and adds rigidity without a real strong need.
If you don't want the tools in /usr/bin/gnu, don't install the diffutils-gnu package (or other *-gnu packages, see list here).

But if we must expect a GNU-compatible diff, I'd recommend we rather have mc patched to invoke /usr/bin/gnu/diff directly, and not screw with people's PATHs.
This was the first solution I considered, but it forces one to have have the diffutils-gnu package installed.
What if the user has installed their own diff and removed busybox's symlink?
What if the user doesn't even want diff functionality?

Then joerg_rw posted his suggestion to use a wrapper to modify the PATH, and I realized this is the behaviour I want:

If the user has diffutils-gnu installed, prefer the diff from there. Otherwise, use whichever diff is found in the PATH.

Remember the relationship with diffutils-gnu is only a Suggests, not a Recommends or a Depends.

Last edited by ginggs; 2015-01-24 at 10:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
That would be great!
Done, along with libslang2 (from Harmattan SDK) and diffutils-gnu:
https://openrepos.net/user/414/programs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Done, along with libslang2 (from Harmattan SDK) and diffutils-gnu:
https://openrepos.net/user/414/programs
And installed!

It did not start, as there was still a terminal open (as always ).
Cloesd the term and mc popped up.

BUT
what I did miss was the missing keyboard. So on each click the vkb pops up over half the screen and makes your action result unreadable. You always have to dismiss the vkb.
Makes it hard to use.

Nevetheless muchos gracias.

--edit
Now used it in portrait mode (not my preferred position ) and I have to say that way it is much more usable (screen is only half-overlaid by vkb, actions are seen immediately but I cannot type on that small vkb )

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-01-24 at 22:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
But if we must expect a GNU-compatible diff, I'd recommend we rather have mc patched to invoke /usr/bin/gnu/diff directly, and not screw with people's PATHs.
But then if *my* (and your) GNU diff (or compatible) is in /usr/local/bin your outta luck.

Adding a wrapper to MC so that by default /usr/bin/gnu is in front of everything else is OK because people like you or me who may have a better diff somewhere else can work around the issue in no time.

It's bad enough that MC hardcodes GNUisms but asking the maintainer to hardcode a PATH is IMHO a bad move. Shell wrappers are easy to tweak/patch/remove. Hardcoded paths is not my idea of fun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
BUT
what I did miss was the missing keyboard. So on each click the vkb pops up over half the screen and makes your action result unreadable. You always have to dismiss the vkb.
Makes it hard to use.

Nevetheless muchos gracias.

--edit
Now used it in portrait mode (not my preferred position ) and I have to say that way it is much more usable (screen is only half-overlaid by vkb, actions are seen immediately but I cannot type on that small vkb )
I have tried various terminals on the N9; Terminal, MTermite, FingerTerm, etc. but haven't found one that works well with mc.
I think one really needs a hardware keyboard for mc to be usable on the device.

This is one of the reasons I haven't included a launcher for Harmattan. Also, I don't want to hardcode the launcher to open mc with a particular terminal, and Maemo and Harmattan don't have 'x-terminal-emulator' alternatives. I'd rather users start their favourite terminal and then type 'mc' to launch it.

It does work well over ssh though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post: