Notices

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I use my N900 exclusively for media. Since I have not found the "perfect" media player for my use case, I use Panucci for consuming podcasts, and Open Media Player for music (mainly because Panucci pauses every few seconds on my N900, which is okay for spoken word, but not so much for music...

Anyway, I noticed recently, that some music on my device was "missing," because I went looking for something in OMP that I knew was on the filesystem, but I couldn't find in the media players. At first, I thought it was the tracker, so I rebuilt the database, to no avail.

Then I started looking around and made the connection that the "missing" tracks were all ogg-vorbis. I just checked, and I do have the ogg support package installed, as well as the Extra Decoders Support package and these ogg files used to show up.

So my question is what could be the problem? Is Ogg Support + Extra Decoders Support the right thing to be doing? Or should I install the Multimedia Pack? (I tried installing it and it conflicted with Ogg Support.) And thinking further on this, it's not an ogg problem, since Panucci sees and plays all of my oggcasts, though it probably has ogg support baked in.

Any idea why ogg support (and consequently all of the oggs on my N900) doesn't work any longer in OMP (and possibly others)? I was kicking around installing another media player just to test/troubleshoot...

Thanks,
--vr

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I have Symfonie installed, & just played a .ogg with it.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Another vote for Symfonie. It has another upside that is does not use tracker. For Symfonie, directory = album. Which suits my use perfectly, I find all that sorting by metadata confusing. So if you ditch both osso-mediaplayer and OMP and switch to Symfonie then you can ditch tracker too and save a lot of memory and CPU cycles.

@rotoflex, do you need Ogg support installed to play .ogg with Symfonie? I don't have any .ogg files to try it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I don't know. I don't recall installing anything specifically to play .ogg files.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post: