Notices

Maybe uploading updated version of Marble, which reflect dependencies limitation (Monav up to 0.3release-1), is best idea?

It would just require fixing dependencies, so that isn't any much-hassle update (AFAIK). After Monav 0.4 (or any stable release) get released, Marble will most likely be updated again, to reflect file format changes, yes?

So, again AIUI, the most "proper" way would be to fix dependencies in Marble - that doesn't require pinning packages in apt-get or dpkg from user side, and doesn't interfere with Monav updates (Marble installation will require fixed version of Monav, so user won't install higher Monav, even with -devel enabled - due to dependency conflict. Still, development snapshots of Monav would get into -devel, without messing Marble up).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Maybe uploading updated version of Marble, which reflect dependencies limitation (Monav up to 0.3release-1), is best idea?
Yes, that's probably the best way to fix things. I think I'll combine it with the 1.3 Beta packages that are due shortly.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It would just require fixing dependencies, so that isn't any much-hassle update (AFAIK). After Monav 0.4 (or any stable release) get released, Marble will most likely be updated again, to reflect file format changes, yes?
Unfortunately monav development seems to have stalled a bit lately, not sure when the next version will be out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I still have a newer version (monav_0.3.1+hg4f0f7f48e173-1_armel.deb) that works with the old mapsets from 04/2011 around, but can't currently upload. (Why is there a size restriction which is set too little for this board anyway?) So, check if this build (monav_0.3.1+hg4f0f7f48e173-2_armel.deb) is working for you.

Btw monav development seems active enough, just check their project pages and especially the issue list which gets updated and cleared.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Marble 1.2.85 aka 1.3 Beta 2 is currently uploading to extras-devel. It can show elevation profiles for routes (worldwide). The required data is downloaded from a KDE server and cached locally such that subsequent calculations of elevation profiles work offline.

Two new overlays show GPS information (speed, altitude, direction, precision).

If you wonder about the map theme above, that is CloudMade Midnight Commander, recently done as a Google Code-In task.

Panning now does kinetic spinning, i.e. when moving the map it does not stop immediately, but will keep going a bit in the same direction, gradually decelerating. It's not working entirely perfect yet on the N900, but I hope to resolve the remaining glitches until the final release (end of January 2012).

Due to the incompatibility with the development snapshot of monav-routing-daemon someone uploaded to extras-devel Marble has a Conflicts entry for that version of monav-routing-daemon. If you're running on extras-devel and already upgraded to that version of monav-routing-daemon, you won't be able to install Marble. Please downgrade to monav-routing-daemon in extras or extras-testing before installing Marble:
Code:
apt-get install monav-routing-daemon=0.3.release-1
Note that our list of speakers for voice navigation is updated as new submissions come in. Check back regularly if your native language is still missing, or even better contribute a speaker file.

Our Meego (Harmattan) version is progressing nicely as well (more on that), here's a recent screenshot:

What are the preferences here regarding Harmattan details, are you interested in updates on it or shall I spare that out in this thread?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
as you can tell from my username i *USED* to be a fan of marble, but not any longer.

1. routing is still broken as marble has delusions of grandeur and tries to do 'fix' the routes provided by the monav project, and any roads without names screw it up as a result. there are plenty roads without names, so marble driving instructions are unreliable. it wasn't broken, marble tried to fix it, so now it's broken.

2. due to broken routing, i had reduced marble to a simple map reader but now kinetic scrolling doesn't work , and i can't see how to turn it off, so it's random , jerky, bizarre scrolling makes it useless even for that.

Monav never provided routing instructions in the daemon. Just like the monav client application, marble has to generate them on its own. So your critique should be that Marble uses a different approach to generate the instructions.

Kinetic scrolling is work in progress as I said in the post above. The new version has a beta label for a reason, and a similar warning goes for extras-devel. Please use the Marble version in extras if you want a stable one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
earthwings, thanks - for You and entire Marble team - for this update!

As for harmattan edition, while I'm not fan of Harm - to say at least - I think it's better to keep everything in one thread. Just one small request - please divide it, using headline (as You did in Your last post).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
is it possible to load osm vector data on Marble for N900, something like mapfile.osm ?

ps: on N900 updating to the latest version of Marble it remove Monav, why?

Last edited by gianko; 2011-12-22 at 11:32.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by gianko View Post
is it possible to load osm vector data on Marble for N900, something like mapfile.osm ?
No, currently Marble only supports raster data inputs.

Originally Posted by gianko View Post
ps: on N900 updating to the latest version of Marble it remove Monav, why?
The monav version in extras-devel is incompatible with Marble. You'll have to install monav from extras or extras-testing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
i found an interesting video

somebody is working on vector data on Marble

http://youtu.be/QnZDkxj2SUU

Konstantin Oblaukhov extended Marble's OpenStreetMap parsing and vector rendering support during this year's Google Summer of Code.

Tags
marble, nokia n900