Active Topics

Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
I still need testers to confirm if this works with normal charging, the question is still, will it stop charging when full and then drain battery for the next 2-5 hours until you wake up.
Don't know if it helps, but when I use Sleep analyser at night while charging, xterm gave me 99% charged this morning, concluding it doesnt drain? probably drains only if its program related?

The Following User Says Thank You to tim_de_wolf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
In light of some users confirming that it should keep charge up on normal USB charging, im going to charge via USB, just have to dig out a USB charger....

Even thou i have a strengthen USB i still use my charging system for absolutely minimal USB wear & tear, i use it 1 a week on average.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Something that would be awesome: An adjustable brightness based on the light sensor. I often find that when my clock too bright at night, but too dark to see in the morning. It would be great to have the brightness change based on how much ambient light there is, to brighten as the room does.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Something that would be awesome: An adjustable brightness based on the light sensor. I often find that when my clock too bright at night, but too dark to see in the morning. It would be great to have the brightness change based on how much ambient light there is, to brighten as the room does.
Locate the sensor system and it could be incorporated in my custom brightness, then we can make a system that actually works........

Just for the record - keeping LiPo battery "topped" (fully charger) all night every night is quite a overkill for a battery lifetime. I suspect at least 50% worse lifetime doing so. Keep in mind, that LiPo's like best to be keep between 40-80%.

If this would be done in a way, than - when reaching certain discharge threshold, like 50% - battery is charged up to 80%, and left in peace, that would be 100% neutral to battery life.

Ho ever, keeping it between 95-100% (like with USB charging) or in constant minimal charge (external charging - because every external charger can't distinguish load used by phone from load accepted by battery during charge process), it is harmful for the battery, on long term. to be honest, it seems that USB charging is even less harmful, than "standby current", used by external charger to keep battery 100%. It was recommended for NiMH/NiCD, but for Li-Ions and derivatives, it's overkill.

Otherwise, very nice idea. I wonder if someone may come up with idea to limit charging (80%) - this way, that would even increase battery life, instead of harming it (more cycles up to 80%, instead of up to 100%)

// Edit

Not directly related, but in light of 1500 mAh Scuds becoming unavailable + no signs of any similar battery, to prepare 3000 mAh dual batteries, I'm really considering charging my battery to 80% all the time, to preserve lifetime/capacity. Where LiPo are used for industrial purposes, they're never charger for more than 80%, because it improves lifetime A LOT (thus, reducing costs).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-10-28 at 00:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Just for the record - keeping LiPo battery "topped" (fully charger) all night every night is quite a overkill for a battery lifetime. I suspect at least 50% worse lifetime doing so. Keep in mind, that LiPo's like best to be keep between 40-80%.

If this would be done in a way, than - when reaching certain discharge threshold, like 50% - battery is charged up to 80%, and left in peace, that would be 100% neutral to battery life.

Ho ever, keeping it between 95-100% (like with USB charging) or in constant minimal charge (external charging - because every external charger can't distinguish load used by phone from load accepted by battery during charge process), it is harmful for the battery, on long term. to be honest, it seems that USB charging is even less harmful, than "standby current", used by external charger to keep battery 100%. It was recommended for NiMH/NiCD, but for Li-Ions and derivatives, it's overkill.

Otherwise, very nice idea. I wonder if someone may come up with idea to limit charging (80%) - this way, that would even increase battery life, instead of harming it (more cycles up to 80%, instead of up to 100%)

// Edit

Not directly related, but in light of 1500 mAh Scuds becoming unavailable + no signs of any similar battery, to prepare 3000 mAh dual batteries, I'm really considering charging my battery to 80% all the time, to preserve lifetime/capacity. Where LiPo are used for industrial purposes, they're never charger for more than 80%, because it improves lifetime A LOT (thus, reducing costs).
Yes this is true for LiPo, Li-ion and other lithium battery's, but again in these days with battery's being so "cheap" then it is not like this is going to ruin you, the best thing is if our N900 had the same kind of system as a laptop, then if done properly then it would keep going 2-4 years without problems.

But i will keep doing this to test it out, and down the line do a capacity test on the Dual Scud to see the impact.
Lithium battery's have no problem with being charged often, this is actually better then total drain and then total charge, this is especially true for multi-cell packs (7.2V+), to much discharge here will leave to faster unbalance between the cells, this is something i have experienced some times

But back to the case of having this charge with USB or external, well some of my old battery graph's with USB charging shows that it keeps the battery at 93-96% until disconnected, also note the graph in post #1, it is not even fully charged, when on my external it goes to 4.23V.
Post #2, now has a graph of USB charging, and it is keeping it topped up, so that answers that question.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
My own Bedside is designed to be an always-on, LED-style clock for just such a use:

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4693

On a fully charged N900, it only went down to 50% when used all night. The next version (should be released this weekend) will have customisable colours and remember whether it was in dimmed mode (sets backlight to lowest and mutes display) when stopping/starting the app.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Just so you know I've been using Flip Clock as a bedside table clock since day one.

I have the colour set to a dull grey, screen brightness set to minimum (no mods) and the N900 is plugged into the mains every single night for about 2 years.

I barely discharge the battery during the day, normal usage would run for about 2-3 days if I didn't charge it and didn't use FlipClock at night (I primarily run 2G, no BT or Wifi and no data connection).

In 2 years the battery charge has barely diminished and also on the charger at night once the battery is fully charged it never turns off the display afterwards (no mods) and this has been consistent through all PR versions (1.1, 1.2 and currently 1.3).

I was worried about what it would do to the display/battery at first then figured it would probably only diminish the lifetime to the point I'd end up changing the phone anyway but they both seem to be fine (touch wood).

The Following User Says Thank You to LondonBenji For This Useful Post:
where is deb file flip clock ?

How to install this on my n900 ? (step-by-step guide)

Tags
alarm, clock, display, night