Active Topics

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by droll View Post
because it runs windows, the most used OS in the world by businesses, i think it will be successful.
This is not the first tablet running Windows. There have been several iterations of Windows tablets. All have failed so far.

September 5, 2000:

Running Windows is not a guarantee of success for a device. There are a lot of factors involved. Crowd perception is probably the most important. Microsoft has a steep climb on that one.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
yes, But this is an "Iphone". Much more expensive than everything else on the market. Easy to use! It's perfect for the masses. However, This product will not take the masses. Keyusers will, where the high price isn't the biggest issue when selecting you device. When regular users is seeing what is capable off they want one, at the same more tablets arrive to market with different hardware/prices and masses are hocked

Plus windows strategy can't fail this time(bill was to smart), devices will look so much smarter this time:

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-06-20 at 14:38.

Only in one fashion did Microsoft effectively compete with Apple yesterday: The way it introduced the Surface.

Several people, including some who attended the Los Angeles press conference, pointed out similarities between Microsoft's presentation and Apple's product announcements -- from pacing and the use of video to the participation of multiple executives and even a designer touting various features.

"That was an Apple-type presentation," said Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg in an interview Monday. "It was weird. It was like Ballmer was channeling Steve Jobs."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._pm_2012-06-19

Microsoft understands that perception is key. So they are trying to be more like Apple and Ballmer is trying to be like Jobs.

Neither will succeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Originally Posted by Snak3 View Post
Its like the Google Nexus. I think the aim is not to take over the market with hardware (yet) but more to steal the market from apple with something bold.
Microsoft's first tablet will get alot of media attention. More so than a 3rd party Acer or HP tablet would. Get people to shift away from apple to a similar brand making the hardware and software.
Microsoft vs Apple is a better battle than HP/Acer/Toshiba vs Apple. Once people shift there thinking away from apple to Windows they'll want options anyway. The problem is apple is a single hardware/software powerhouse that needs to be taken down a notch and Microsoft is finally ready to stand up to them on a hardware basis, just like they did with the xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
Yes I follow the logic in that.

However all things such as manufacturing costs etc., being equal, the fact remains that Microsoft’s own tablet can afford to be $85 cheaper than anyone else’s Windows tablet.

That does not bode well for Asus, Acer and the rest.

Or will Microsoft choose to level the playing field by slapping an $85 development tax on to its own products.

Time will tell of course and it will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

In the meantime I suspect that Microsoft's "partners" are feeling a bit uneasy regarding their future in this particular market.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Great price. But I will laugh at you when you are running angry birds and other "simple" apps while I'm running photoshop, eclipse and stuff
Eclipse and Photoshop with a touch interface sounds awesome!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Eclipse and Photoshop with a touch interface sounds awesome!
Connect one of the two keyboards available or add a usb/bt keybaord at your disposal. Connect a mouse or a random screen and you have a hi-tech office.

Or BYOD and BYOB and have a W-LAN with your favorit desktop game

I want confirmation of i 5 processor and what kind of graphic we get.

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-06-20 at 16:30.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
No, no one cares. Microsoft's announcements don't matter.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
I am definitely impressed by the new WP8 live tiles. That Nokia developer device looks disgusting. . .

Originally Posted by Arie View Post
No, no one cares. Microsoft's announcements don't matter.
Are you working at Nokia?

Pretty much the same thing was said about Iphone around 2007

Dave999,

Why do you keep thanking yourself? And how do you do it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:

Tags
just_a_fad, success!, ubertablet, vaporware, who gives a sht