Active Topics

i do couple research but there not a good explaination how it done. anyone here familiar with terminal cmd, or know how to free up more space. thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to vbl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
vbl,
Check under Settings->Device->Data Storage

If your space is full its obvious you have to uninstall some apps or make space so what's the problem in that?

Your issue is also covered on this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88867

It has what knowledge you need so you didn't have to create a new thread.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-02-02 at 06:07.

thanks for reply and show the right direction. and im sorry to create a new thread. Admin please remove my post, thank you

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Actually, when you get the error for not enough space for applications, it means that your root partition (/dev/mmcblk0p2, about 4GB in size) is filled up. You may have loads of space still available on the device, for example on a 64GB device your MyDocs partiton (/dev/mmcblk0p1) is about 54GB and most of it is propably free...

If you absolutely must have more installed applications, you could repartiton your flash so that you'd have for example 45GB of MyDocs, 15GB of root and 2GB of home.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
any how you can show me how to create partition

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It's pretty straightforward but requires that you have some basic understanding on how a linux system is maintained.

Requirements, You need to be running open mode, inception is not enough with this.
  • 1.) You need to boot the device in rescue mode, and back up the data from your root, home and Mydocs with tar.
  • 2.) Then repartition the mmcblk with fdisk, and format the new partitions. MyDocs is normally formatted as fat while other partitions are ext2fs, but if you never mount your device to a windows machine you can also format MyDocs as ext2, which is a bit faster.
  • 3.) After formatting the partitions, just restore the backups to the device and you are done.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
juiceme,

Data Storage being filled usually is a consequence of the userfs partition being filled from previous experience here... Yes there have been a couple of people with rootfs being fulled but most apps put their heavy content onto /opt hence userfs is almost always the first partition to be filled.

This is further compounded by emails, nitdroid, easy debian etc all using up space on userfs so I think the OP needs to check his userfs for space first instead of increasing rootfs while leaving userfs to just 2.1GB...

Lastly, if rootfs is filled up most probably userfs is filled too since if so many apps are being installed their data would have filled userfs too...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-02-04 at 07:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
That's true, really. But nothing's stopping you to increase the /home partition size similarily.

I feel that the default setup is skewed a bit anyway on the 64G version; for the 16G version it is fairly allright to have the partitions set up as 4G/2G/9G, but for 64G version to have 4G/2G/53G is absolutely hilarious. I mean, come ON? And to have this formatted as FAT on top of that, quite uneconomical!

I rather belive something like 10G/8G/40G is more proper.

The only reason I see that 64G device is partitioned the way it is because of compability with the EMMC flash images. As it is, you can use the same images to flash 16G and 64G devices.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: